The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What would be the point?
Reply 2
maxfire
What would be the point?

The point in leaving? to get work and get money to fund university life or possibly go travelling.
Reply 3
I don't think you can-even if you have an unconditional, you usually still have to do what you've said you will on your UCAS form (even if it doesn't matter what result you get/if you fail completely). Otherwise the unis have the right to change/withdraw your offer.
Reply 4
is that possible?! i have unconditional offers, but only cos i've done my A-levels :confused: did not think that actually happened :s-smilie:
Reply 5
sbarrie2
The point in leaving? to get work and get money to fund university life or possibly go travelling.

By dropping out, you've essentially lied on your UCAS, by saying you're going to complete A Levels that you're now just going to leave behind.
Reply 6
Samz
is that possible?! i have unconditional offers, but only cos i've done my A-levels :confused: did not think that actually happened :s-smilie:

It is in Scotland :wink:
Reply 7
maxfire
By dropping out, you've essentially lied on your UCAS, by saying you're going to complete A Levels that you're now just going to leave behind.

But surely the only proof or documentation the uni need to see is that proving the grades already achieved and nothing about sitting an exam..
Reply 8
I just stayed on when I got my unconditionals.

Messed around though and my grades suffered, not that it matters one jot :biggrin:

*reminisces about stress free 6th year*
Reply 9
Most people with unconditionals have already left school/college and are post-A-level/IB applicants.

But I did know somebody last year, who was still at college, and had an unconditional.
Reply 10
gyyy2807
Most people with unconditionals have already left school/college and are post-A-level/IB applicants.

But I did know somebody last year, who was still at college, and had an unconditional.

did they leave college?
Reply 11
sbarrie2
But surely the only proof or documentation the uni need to see is that proving the grades already achieved and nothing about sitting an exam..

The offer is made based on the information you give them though. If you tell them that you will be taking exam x, y and z and they give you an offer, regardless of whether x, y and z have anything to do with the offer itself you are obliged to take the exams. If you don't they could be obliged to retract your offer on the basis of supplying false information on your form.

The only option you'd have if this situation arose and you didn't want to/couldn't take x, y, z is to contact the university in good time to inform them that you wouldn't be doing them...they could then make the decision of whether their offer still stood in it's original form in light of the new information.
Reply 12
sbarrie2
Has anyone ever found themselves in the situation where they got an unconditional and therefor left school or college?

I had unconditionals and strongly considered leaving but decided not to.

There's always a chance you'll not like the course you choose and the extra grades you get by staying on can be very important. This is what happened to me. I left the course I started as I realised it's not what I wanted to do. If I hadn't stayed on in school I wouldn't have got into the course I have applied for now.

I suppose it's ok for some people but in general I think it's a bad idea, especially since you're half way through already.
Reply 13
sbarrie2
did they leave college?

no, he didn't.
Also, a job after your degree might want certain A-levels too.
Reply 15
I had an unconditional and I didn't leave because it was a uni I didn't want to go to-Aberdeen. However I can't see why you can't drop out as surely you've already satisfied their requirements? If you are really considering it you could phone the uni who gave you the unconditional and check!
I do believe Unconditional means you can drop out. But don't! It will look odd/bad on your CV later on, and imagine if you wanted to change uni.. you probably wouldn't be able to without A2s. Seriously, don't do it.
Reply 17
sbarrie2

Yeah, but the knowledge you gain on an A Level course would surely help you in the first year of your degree...imagine applying for maths, but missing out the last 5/6 modules, which would bare a lot of relevance to your course.
Reply 18
maxfire
Yeah, but the knowledge you gain on an A Level course would surely help you in the first year of your degree...imagine applying for maths, but missing out the last 5/6 modules, which would bare a lot of relevance to your course.

I can see your point but it's not really relevant for my course. It doesn't have essential subjects (well english but ive got that and not doing it again this year)
:console: Listen to some Peter Andre

Latest

Trending

Trending