Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bignigel)
    You do realise that this is EXTREMELY flawed by the usage from different unis on this forum?

The LSE/Cambridge forums are pretty busy: over 4500 threads on each; whereas Bath has about 1000 (including Bath Spa), Exeter about 1000, Warwick 2000 and Bristol 2000. (roughly)

It's a start but this league table is VERY flawed and I would advise students to avoid taking any real meaning from it.
    What league table?

These are the total numbers of graduates at each bank.

You're confused about something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    What league table?

I read his post about three times and it makes zero sense to me :confused:..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    What league table?

(Original post by loggins)
    I read his post about three times and it makes zero sense to me :confused:..
    OK, I apologise. I miss read the exact wording of the post; but still we must be careful as this is taken from a forum - so values are unlikely to be correct.

HOWEVER, you should still read these with a careful and open mind. Take LSE (top of this list) v Bath (Where I went)...

LSE has a far larger pool of subjects that lead to IB. Bath has 3 (Economics, Accounting and Finance and Maths - the latter 2 not even so much) The Maths course at Bath doesn't tend towards IB much.

Equally, among each of these courses the LSE intake is far higher. The total pool of students from Bath who could possibly apply to IB jobs is no more than 350 whereas at LSE i'm sure it's well over 1000. (In a given year).

Add to this that the culture at LSE inspires more people to go into IB - I'd be certain a survey of economist undergrads at LSE would yield a higher than 50% IB interest rate, whereas at Bath - I know that figure to be far lower - maybe even 20% based on the popularity of jobs within public sector/research based (eg. using your degree).

So you have (VERY APPROX) 600 LSE students applying to IB and 70 Bath students applying. Add to that the likelihood of LSE students having a better CV (based on the fact they got into LSE they must have something good!) ontop of FO conversions from summer internships and therefore you would expect LSE to yield about 7-8 TIMES what Bath does into FO jobs.

Even if the student pool is almost indentical and the opinions of employers towards each uni are the same.

Some banks will favour LSE over others (due to historical ties/good intakes), and therefore will provide slightly more opportunities.

This is only for Bath, as it (alongside LSE with 3 good friends who went there) is the only uni I know a lot about; but I'm pretty certain that a similar figure would hold for most unis.

My basic point is that your university won't matter too much. If you are good enough, you'll get the job. End Of.

PS: I know at this bank Bath only has 1 and LSE 15, but if Bath gets 1 more then thats what we would expect.

ReputationRep:
    OMG, Harvard is not on the list. Does it mean that I won't be able to get an IB job if I go there?

ReputationRep:
    OK, I apologise. I miss read the exact wording of the post; but still we must be careful as this is taken from a forum - so values are unlikely to be correct.

HOWEVER, you should still read these with a careful and open mind. Take LSE (top of this list) v Bath (Where I went)...

LSE has a far larger pool of subjects that lead to IB. Bath has 3 (Economics, Accounting and Finance and Maths - the latter 2 not even so much) The Maths course at Bath doesn't tend towards IB much.

Equally, among each of these courses the LSE intake is far higher. The total pool of students from Bath who could possibly apply to IB jobs is no more than 350 whereas at LSE i'm sure it's well over 1000. (In a given year).

Add to this that the culture at LSE inspires more people to go into IB - I'd be certain a survey of economist undergrads at LSE would yield a higher than 50% IB interest rate, whereas at Bath - I know that figure to be far lower - maybe even 20% based on the popularity of jobs within public sector/research based (eg. using your degree).

So you have (VERY APPROX) 600 LSE students applying to IB and 70 Bath students applying. Add to that the likelihood of LSE students having a better CV (based on the fact they got into LSE they must have something good!) ontop of FO conversions from summer internships and therefore you would expect LSE to yield about 7-8 TIMES what Bath does into FO jobs.

Even if the student pool is almost indentical and the opinions of employers towards each uni are the same.

Some banks will favour LSE over others (due to historical ties/good intakes), and therefore will provide slightly more opportunities.

This is only for Bath, as it (alongside LSE with 3 good friends who went there) is the only uni I know a lot about; but I'm pretty certain that a similar figure would hold for most unis.

My basic point is that your university won't matter too much. If you are good enough, you'll get the job. End Of.

PS: I know at this bank Bath only has 1 and LSE 15, but if Bath gets 1 more then thats what we would expect.
    Very very flimsy argument I must say, you contradict yourself a lot.

I accept your point that if you're good enough and perseverant enough you could get there, but in terms of getting an interview, your university matters a great deal. If what you're saying is true, why does a Geographer from Oxford have a far higher chance of getting a job in IB than a Geographer from, say, Bath or Durham, or Nottingham (all other things being equal)?

ReputationRep:
    I swear ive heard/seen/read this argument about a million times. im getting bored by it.

ReputationRep:
    LSE better, matter much where you go but even if Bath you go you can get in with many work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    I swear ive heard/seen/read this argument about a million times. im getting bored by it.
    Wholeheartedly agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Very very flimsy argument I must say, you contradict yourself a lot.

I accept your point that if you're good enough and perseverant enough you could get there, but in terms of getting an interview, your university matters a great deal. If what you're saying is true, why does a Geographer from Oxford have a far higher chance of getting a job in IB than a Geographer from, say, Bath or Durham, or Nottingham (all other things being equal)?

This forum just doesn't like to hear anything apart from LSE is great... Jeez.

To answer that question I would ask you how many Geographers from Durham even WANT TO let alone apply to IB?

Look, I know nobody on this forum wants to listen to anything I've got to say - but sometimes it's good to get an alternative view/experience.

If you asked any hiring manager why they hired X or Y I bet that less than 10% would say because of their university...

Fair enough if you disagree but I think it's a bit sad that everyone's so hooked up on what uni you go to in order to get into IB.

ReputationRep:
    Snore.

ReputationRep:
    zzzzzzzz Boringgg

and for the record I hate LSE... just a factory churning out generic IB puppets... 0 innate ability, all networking and chat. yeah i said it.

ReputationRep:
    1 for bath although at the end of the day, uni only goes so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostrider88)
    zzzzzzzz Boringgg

and for the record I hate LSE... just a factory churning out generic IB puppets... 0 innate ability, all networking and chat. yeah i said it.
    I disagree, LSE is definitely the jewel in the Golden Triangle. Much better than Oxbridge, no doubt.. even "a BB" thinks so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityMonkey)
    I disagree, LSE is definitely the jewel in the Golden Triangle. Much better than Oxbridge, no doubt.. even "a BB" thinks so..

haha i know all LSE people like to think so, in the small insular worlds they all inhabit.

ReputationRep:
    Just to set the record straight, Oxford is absolutely ***** for entering IB... a non-existent careers service, a university that designs EVERYTHING (degrees and extra-curricular life) so as to encourage you to study for a masters, then Phd, then the rest of your life, and rubbish networking events. It's not a surprise they have such poor figures, only 5 Oxford grad entries in my BB too this year. In fact, in my entire year I can only think of ~25 people will full time FO IB offers. Trust me, the number from Oxford will decline further and further.
    the problem with Oxbridge is that they are stuck in the past and encourage students to go into academia...and many fall for it. when you are as bright as these students are then pursuing further study seems like the obvious option. what inevitabley happens is you start a PhD, start teaching on the side, and then get stuck doing it for the long term. this is fine for some people, but when a FO BB IB analyst makes the same amount as their professor in their first year working it is clear where the best place to be is.

Even Oxford's MFE at the business school is highly theoretical and academic, and the programmes Cambridge offer are prep for a Phd.

they are being left behind by schools who know how to market finance related degrees with course content that is actually relevant (LSE and Imperial for example) to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    This forum just doesn't like to hear anything apart from LSE is great... Jeez.

To answer that question I would ask you how many Geographers from Durham even WANT TO let alone apply to IB?

Look, I know nobody on this forum wants to listen to anything I've got to say - but sometimes it's good to get an alternative view/experience.

If you asked any hiring manager why they hired X or Y I bet that less than 10% would say because of their university...

Fair enough if you disagree but I think it's a bit sad that everyone's so hooked up on what uni you go to in order to get into IB.
    actually on the whole LSE is quite crap for teaching undergrads and their masters programmes are known for being a rip off (the MSc Economics is called the factory). that being said it obviously has an excellent placement record for graduate IB jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    actually on the whole LSE is quite crap for teaching undergrads and their masters programmes are known for being a rip off (the MSc Economics is called the factory). that being said it obviously has an excellent placement record for graduate IB jobs.
    I will agree with this to some respect. LSE is quite crap when it comes to teaching undergrads. But I wouldnt say - "whole LSE is quite crap". The lectures at LSE are great, the class teachers are crap. The student body at LSE is extremely good, you can see real meritocracy. LSE is the best uni to go to if you want to go into BB, not only because of the courses it offers, but also its location and countless networking opportunities.

The undergrad programs at LSE - like I said, teaching is crap, but its a lot of hardwork.

Masters programme at LSE - expensive - like every other masters programme at a good uni!!!!!! The quality of teaching is much better than undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    lse students are overrated. they have no intellectual ambition, they're just happy to enter the factory and emerge with a BB job. networking, sucking ****, doing whatever it takes. it's pretty sad really, thank god i don't go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    Even Oxford's MFE at the business school is highly theoretical and academic, and the programmes Cambridge offer are prep for a Phd.

they are being left behind by schools who know how to market finance related degrees with course content that is actually relevant (LSE and Imperial for example) to the real world.
    Hahaha, dude have you ever perused the course content of MSc Fin degrees at Gimperial/LSE etc? Every single MSc Finance degree is a complete dud, by definition. You think any of the banks give a **** about any of the models taught on those degrees? There is absolutely 0 respect for having an MSc Fin degree on bank trading floors, and besides, the course is little more than mathematical masturbation and a cash cow for lowly paid university professors who couldn't trade an option if it bit their **** off. Besides, I would never employ anyone who pays £30,000 for the privilege of learning something which, to all intents and purposes, can be self-taught in about 3 weeks with Hull/other such text book purely by proxy that they can't tell a good trade from a bad one.

Yes, it makes sense for some people but only for those not at redbrick schools to uprate the cahcet their degree holds to HR so that they will consider passing CVs to the traders/bankers.

ReputationRep:
    lse students are overrated. they have no intellectual ambition, they're just happy to enter the factory and emerge with a BB job. networking, sucking ****, doing whatever it takes. it's pretty sad really, thank god i don't go there.
    I'm bid .
    Add Imperial to that too.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.