Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Sweekune)
    As a Christian I will raise my children to know about God and my beliefs but at the end of the day they can choose what they want. I want my children to be happy with the choices they've made and I wouldn't dream of trying to convert them. I don't like it when people try to preach to me, so why should I do it to anyone else, least of all my children.
    If you raise them as Christians, you're not exactly converting them.

(Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    I'm not trying to exclude children from religous belief, I'm simply stressing the point that it should be the children, not the parents, who decide whether or not they want to pursue a religous life.
    But everyone does decide for themselves. Yes, in some countries people are forced into following certain religions, but the campaign I'm referring to is British. You can be brought up with religion and choose not to associate with it anymore when you grow up, and in the same way you can choose to convert. Very few people in this country are forced into identifying themselves as religious. And the vast majority of us are more than capable of making our own decisions as adults.

I believe that, by allowing children to make a choice later on in life concerning their religous beliefs, Religion becomes less of a distinguishing trait, like skin colour or nationality, and more of a personal choice, like your favourite bands or singers - That's probably a bad example, but I hope you understand.
    I think the main reason a lot of people stick with religion or embrace it later in life is because it gives them a sense of community and a connection with the rest of their family. Religion is very rarely "personal", it's always been about community and having a reason to come together and celebrate etc.

Anyway. The campaign isn't just about religion. I was talking to a girl in my year yesterday who said she was brought up as a vegetarian, and although her parents always said she could eat meat outside the house if she wanted to, she always felt like she would be betraying them if she did. But she hated being labelled vegetarian and always having to have food especially made etc, and when she got to about 13 she started eating meat. I guess it's a similar-ish situation.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.