Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I've been reading a lot lately here as my intentions are to study at Salford University beginning this year's september.

I read a lot about areas being "rough", can you define that more closely? im considering mostly city centre and the closer region south of it, like trafford to ardwick and south maybe to sale.

Do these "chavs" come in small groups of 2-4, or big groups? Are they under 18, or are they also older (up to 25 lets say) and strong types?

Most importantly to me though, I lived in several cities around germany and denmark (i'm german) and mostly fights were not dangerous, even if 5 people were kicking to someone lying on the ground they were too scared to kick hard enough to cause serious injuries. Some people break a beer bottle and threaten, but i only saw once that a guy actually used it then.

Is it like that too, or is there a serious risk of serious harm, like maybe knife-stabbing etc?
    I'm asking because im considering to live somewhere close to Fallowfield/Moss side, for financial matters. I always try to stay out of trouble and do not provoke it, but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

Another questions is, i assume scallies are neonazis or/and hooligans? from what i read i'm sure i wont meet them anyway, but for curiosity: are they the kind you can actually talk to? and would i typically have problems as a german? must say i have no affiliation with english soccer clubs, so i guess no problems with that..

hope you can enlighten me a bit

ReputationRep:
    Don't go moss side its a hell hole you might get tied to a lamp post and but raped.
    Fallowfield is ok its where all the students go to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kworld)
    Don't go moss side its a hell hole you might get tied to a lamp post and but raped.
    Fallowfield is ok its where all the students go to live.
    Moss Side isn't that bad lol

Also I live in fallow field and its ok
    (Original post by faxiij)
    Hi there, I've been reading a lot lately here as my intentions are to study at Salford University beginning this year's september.

I read a lot about areas being "rough", can you define that more closely? im considering mostly city centre and the closer region south of it, like trafford to ardwick and south maybe to sale.

Do these "chavs" come in small groups of 2-4, or big groups? Are they under 18, or are they also older (up to 25 lets say) and strong types?

Most importantly to me though, I lived in several cities around germany and denmark (i'm german) and mostly fights were not dangerous, even if 5 people were kicking to someone lying on the ground they were too scared to kick hard enough to cause serious injuries. Some people break a beer bottle and threaten, but i only saw once that a guy actually used it then.

Is it like that too, or is there a serious risk of serious harm, like maybe knife-stabbing etc?
    I'm asking because im considering to live somewhere close to Fallowfield/Moss side, for financial matters. I always try to stay out of trouble and do not provoke it, but sometimes you just can't avoid it.

Another questions is, i assume scallies are neonazis or/and hooligans? from what i read i'm sure i wont meet them anyway, but for curiosity: are they the kind you can actually talk to? and would i typically have problems as a german? must say i have no affiliation with english soccer clubs, so i guess no problems with that..

hope you can enlighten me a bit
    Also scallies arent neonazis

OP things aren't that bad here as people make it out to be

I live on the edge of moss side/ Fallowfield and have never been troubled

You wont have any troubles with anyone racist Manchester has a a very mixed culture, I have not come across any racists and most people get on with each other

Btw most scallies/ Chavs are skinny and high

ReputationRep:
    If your going to Salford University then you wont want to live in Fallowfield or Moss Side, its not close by. You can get away with living in Manchester city centre/Deansgate and go to Salford but not Moss Side.

The estates around Salford University are perfectly safe I've never had ANY bother and my neighbours are all very friendly. Its almost exclusively white but I live with a black guy and an asian and theyve no had problems. Plenty of "chavs" around, again, no bother from them. Dont draw attention to yourself.

The problem with Moss Side and Fallowfied is that they are targets because there are so many students who are, well... easy targets to rob.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the quick response

jim you got a point there, but to be honest i'd rather not live in salford. living close to uni creeps me out

guess i'll get a loan from my parents and then maybe stay in the city centre, found some really nice flats online for a really fair price..

btw, what are scallies then? is it just another word for chavs or?

ReputationRep:
    I live in the city centre and walk to Salford Uni.

Manchester is just like any other city, yes there is trouble about but as long as you are not stupid you'll be fine. I've never seen major trouble, a lot of drunk people (only late at night) yes but they are usually more of danger to themselves than others!

If you are going to be living on your own have you checked out the abito apartments?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.