The Student Room Group

Does an age gap really make a difference?

I'm 18, and have strong feelings for a 23 year old.

We've met up a few times now and the last time (due to circumstance, not planned) I stayed at his house and we slept together. We get on very well (so I think) and he is just simply amazing. I can't stop thinking about him.

However... his friends teased him and called him a paedo and stuff - and I slept with him quite early on. So... my question is... do guys that age think of girls that much younger in a relationship way? Generally speaking. I will be so upset if I am 'just a shag' but I don't know...

I just wanted a general picture so I can prepare myself if he doesn't want to see me anymore.
That is nothing as far as age differences go. I wouldn't even call it one.
Reply 2
yeahh, from experience..i'm 18 and my boyfriend is just about to turn 22 and we've been seeing eachother/together for over a year! as far as i know he's not been bullied about it.

but i guess it depends on the people..don't give up yet though if you really like him!
Just remember half your age + 7 :biggrin:
Well I got with my partner when I was 18 and he was 25 soon to be 26. He is now 30 and I am 22, and we are perfect together and so much in love. We live together and soon, when I have finished my degree will be looking to getting married.

Personally I think age gaps, usually, are great. Of course some 23 year olds will see you as a conquest and nothing more, but others will think diffrently. You will have to figure him out for yourself

pp
Reply 5
I have the general impression that older guys (about early-mid twenties) would be less interested in one night stands and more into relationships than 18/19 year olds. Correct me if I am wrong.
Reply 6
well i'm 18 and my boyfriend is 22...age doesn't matter :smile:
Arielle
I have the general impression that older guys (about early-mid twenties) would be less interested in one night stands and more into relationships than 18/19 year olds. Correct me if I am wrong.

Consider this me correcting you. :p:
polythenepam
Well I got with my partner when I was 18 and he was 25 soon to be 26. He is now 30 and I am 22, and we are perfect together and so much in love. We live together and soon, when I have finished my degree will be looking to getting married.

Personally I think age gaps, usually, are great. Of course some 23 year olds will see you as a conquest and nothing more, but others will think diffrently. You will have to figure him out for yourself

pp

That's so sweet.
Wild_Precious_Life
That's so sweet.

Thank you :o:
Reply 10
Age doesn't matter, just as long as you love each other. there is nothing wrong with a large/small age gap.
I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that actually age differences do matter, but only in terms of practicality, not love. For example, financial differences if one partner is at college while the other works, one partner still having over-bearing parents etc. However these can be overcome, so they don't need to cause problems. :smile:

I doubt his friends meant anything more than teasing - you're legally an adult so there's no problem there. Just enjoy getting to know him better and see where things go. :smile:
Anonymous
I'm 18, and have strong feelings for a 23 year old.

We've met up a few times now and the last time (due to circumstance, not planned) I stayed at his house and we slept together. We get on very well (so I think) and he is just simply amazing. I can't stop thinking about him.

However... his friends teased him and called him a paedo and stuff - and I slept with him quite early on. So... my question is... do guys that age think of girls that much younger in a relationship way? Generally speaking. I will be so upset if I am 'just a shag' but I don't know...

I just wanted a general picture so I can prepare myself if he doesn't want to see me anymore.

Age gap of 18 and 23, not really. Imagine if it was 45 and 40. Perfectly normal, just people perceive age gap at a young age is SERIOUS especially 15 and 20 or 14 and 19.
I have nothing whatsoever against age gaps however large -- one thing that does grate a little though is when girls assume that older men are somehow more "mature" or "committed" than their younger counterparts. Being old is not an instant ticket into maturity.
I was always a bit against or uneasy with age gaps bit now I've fallen for someone who's 6 years older than me and my view has changed completely so no, age gaps don't make any difference :smile:
that's not even an age gap.

I'm 26 my husband is 33. We started dating when I was 17 and he was 24. I've never considered us to have a big age gap at all to be honest.

Latest

Trending

Trending