Turn on thread page Beta

Should people get a lighter sentence if they are very religious? watch

ReputationRep:
    Not the same but I remember when I was 16 I lived in a student house for a year and never signed a contract, not that it would even be valid due to my age but when I turned 18 LL took me to court and got character references saying he was a religious man so would never attempt to con anyone and even had the hypocricy to write that we were a family on benefits so we automatically would be lying, all because he tried to claim I never paid my last 3 months rent when I had proof.

Somehow he won the court case, I reckon it was down to his "religion"

ReputationRep:
    I don't bloody care if they are religious.
    Commit the crime, do the time.:yep:

Actually if anyone played the religion card I'd just make their sentence longer.

EDIT: My God Cherie Blair's looking rough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    I think that this is one of those issues that everybody can agree upon:**** NO.
    I disagree to some degree. Part of the purpose of a criminal sentence is to rehabilitate an offender. If you are convinced that a person understands that committing his crime was wrong, then there is less point in issuing a harsher punishment.

But, as another poster on here warned, going to mosque/church and being in possession of the moral compass which your faith seeks to instil in you are not the same things. Not all people who give an outward display of piety are good Christians/Muslims/Whatever.

ReputationRep:
    How ridiculous, she needs to get the sack. Thats massive discrimination and, as an atheist I feel insulted. So he is "a religious man and... know[strike]this is not acceptable behaviour"...so what I am an atheist and think this is perfectly fine, we have no morals suddenly? Rubbish, I think I know more than the religious man that it is not acceptable behaviour; I have never punched a man or broke his jaw. Considering it was in a bank, over something trivial as a place in a queue (having nothing to do with religion) makes it even worse as his believes did not motivate him to act violently nor did his religious morals intervene to prevent his violence. It is completely unjust for an atheist to receive a sentence whilst his is suspended. He should serve the time and she should get the sack!

ReputationRep:
    Someone claiming to be a member of the jedi church should push for leniency to expose it for the ridiculousness that it is.

Also anyone else think that some people are only religious because they feel they cant trust themselves to be 'good' without being watched 24 hours a day?

ReputationRep:
    Of course not.

ReputationRep:
    A world of no. A crime is a crime, and the law is the law.

ReputationRep:
    No, religion is personal, it's not a scapegoat, though people would like you to think it should be.

ReputationRep:
    Utterly insane; should Islamic terrorists get lesser sentences than other terrorists?

I thought it was going to be some rural vicar, who had strayed accidentally and was filled with remorse; it would at least then be comprehensible, if still a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    if anything, surely they should be given a harsher sentence as they've not only gone against the law but probably their own religion? saying that, if such a thing was implicated then prosecutors would be able to push for a worse punishment just as a defence attorney could push for a lighter sentence if the idea of religious people getting lighter sentences was enforced...

ReputationRep:
    =/ no, they still did something wrong =/

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of evidence to suggest that secular people commit less crime than religious people also, so even on her warped grounds Cherie is retarded.

ReputationRep:
    Miah, a devout Muslim, had been convicted of breaking a man's jaw with two punches
    Are muslims allowed to punch people?

ReputationRep:
    What, like pleading insanity, instead pleading religiousness. As much as I accept there is a link between the insane and religious I hardly think its an excuse. Ignorance isn't an excuse in a UK courtroom an nor should being religious be.

ReputationRep:
    that's a terrifying prospect.

you may as well let people of a particular political conviction get away with murder, if the murder in question is committed against a political enemy of the perpetrator. to the murderer, they were completely justified in their act...

ReputationRep:
    This is a blatantly shrewd attempt to defend her husband's Iraqi invasion (because Tony is a man of God). Perhpas also win over a few muslims.

ReputationRep:
    **** off should they. Most ridiculous proposal I've heard in a while. They're no less likely to commit a crime (hey, look at what it's causing at the moment, all over the World), they're no more likely to come out a better person, and any Joe Bloggs could stand up in court and say, "Oh, well I'm a Christian."

Previous convictions, plead and behaviour in prison should contribute to prison sentences, not whether you believe in the divine being.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no! :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Maybe if the country was controlled by the church but we are not controlled by a religious group so it should not come into it whatsoever.
    Yeah... not controlled by a religious group... of course not ;-) and the Freemasons don't really exist either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

What say ye . . .
    Why on earth should having an imaginary friend or being just plain old delusional mean a reduced sentence??!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.