Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!
    I was on a Middle Year PGCE for 2009-2010, but left the course as the closer it got to going to the secondary placement, the more terrified I got! My degree is in English Language, and I was on Middle Years English course, but the majority of secondary school English is Literature - which I've always struggled with! - and I spent some time trying to work with teenagers but really couldn't do it! (The attitudes were too much for me to handle aged 21, and just brought back horrible memories of school)

Now I've explained the background, here's my question.....

Would I be able to apply through the GTTR again for either Sept 2010 (there are a few places still available) or Sept 2011, this time for a Primary PGCE??? Primary is what I've always wanted to do, but stupidly thought Middle Years would be a good experience, look good on the CV etc etc.

I think I could make a strong application as I currently work in a tuition centre and also volunteer in a school. I'm just not sure if you are allowed to reapply for a new course if you have dropped out from a course previously?!?!?

If anyone has any info I would be sooooooo grateful!

ReputationRep:
    you'd be allowed to reapply but there might be a problem if course providers see that you dropped out of a previous PGCE, they might have some doubts about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmyj)
    Hey guys!
    I was on a Middle Year PGCE for 2009-2010, but left the course as the closer it got to going to the secondary placement, the more terrified I got! My degree is in English Language, and I was on Middle Years English course, but the majority of secondary school English is Literature - which I've always struggled with! - and I spent some time trying to work with teenagers but really couldn't do it! (The attitudes were too much for me to handle aged 21, and just brought back horrible memories of school)

Now I've explained the background, here's my question.....

Would I be able to apply through the GTTR again for either Sept 2010 (there are a few places still available) or Sept 2011, this time for a Primary PGCE??? Primary is what I've always wanted to do, but stupidly thought Middle Years would be a good experience, look good on the CV etc etc.

I think I could make a strong application as I currently work in a tuition centre and also volunteer in a school. I'm just not sure if you are allowed to reapply for a new course if you have dropped out from a course previously?!?!?

If anyone has any info I would be sooooooo grateful!
    Hasn't the deadline for primary 2010 closed?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the deadline was 1st December, but if courses still have places I think you can apply but its a lot more unlikely they'l consider you! I know a lot of uni's with places left actually have a lot of interview days coming up where they are likely to fill their remaining places. i doubt you would even get consider for most primary courses now. 2011 would be your best bet.

Im not sure how it will look, having dropped out of a PGCE, primary is so competitive, and you'd have to put it on your application form (past university experience), I think if you got to interview stage, you would have to give them a really amazing reason for them to take you on, but thats not impossible... I just think if they knew, they would look at all the other candidates they have and give them a chance first, as youve already had one, all be it in the wrong age range!

Ive just looked on the TES forum, and the pgce admissions tutor and teacher who advises on the site, says you can re-apply, but your tuition fee's may not be covered, you need to check with your local LEA. Same with the bursary, if you've had some of it already, you will possible only get the remainder you are entitled too, but again to check with the universities you apply for and the TDA. It does say on the TDA website that you only get '1 shot' at a PGCE, but apparently thats only if you complete a PGCE course and fail it, it doesn't specify about withdrawals! So this is all something you need to look into, as I know I couldnt afford the tuition fees nor manage without the bursary!

Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.