The Student Room Group

Comment of these options?

I'm willing to work in a business and media field. I really take interest these subjects.
These are my A level options:
- Accounting
- Business Studies
- English language
- Media Studies

Please answer my questions:
* Are all subjects with 'studies' easy and less respected by universities? Isn't it about what you enjoy, instead of what universities want?
* For journalism: English lang or lit?
* I did business for GCSE, should I drop it for A level?
* Accounting or Graphic design?
* With my options, what career do you suggest?
Reply 1
I'd say your doing four unrespected subjects but I could be wrong.

Economics is better respected than Business Studies.

Most universities hate Media Studies.

English Literature is more respected than English Language.

And no universities ask for Accounting really as for Accounting degrees they prefer English and Maths.
Reply 2
Roseflower
These are my A level options:
- Accounting
- Business Studies
- English language
- Media Studies

As mentioned above, these are generally not at all respected by universities - but, then again, it depends where you would like to study

Roseflower
Isn't it about what you enjoy, instead of what universities want?

Well, to some degree, yes: it is important that you enjoy what you do otherwise you will not do it well. However, your future is generally more important than just not enjoying 4 hours of your week for two years... For example, I take A-Level Maths. I hate the subject, always have done, but it is my best subject and I am predicted an A* in it - I took it because I knew that it would help me to get into University and I probably wouldn't have some of the offers that I have without it.

Roseflower
For journalism: English lang or lit?

I would say English Literature, but as your other subjects, such as Accounting and Media Studies, don't seem too related to the course, I would drop one of these and take both English subjects instead.
I think it will depend on the university/course you wish to do.

Personally, I study a mixture of respected and not so much respected subjects but I still received offers from top 20 unis. Obviously not Oxbridge :p: or anywhere like that, but they are still respectable universities :yep:

Latest