Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm a guy in the 2nd year of uni who lives at home whilst attending uni. Because of this, university has been a lonely experience at times as making friends has been difficult. I've made one or two who I hang around with in lectures but its awkward as I'm not part of their friendship groups who are there too. None of their friends try to talk to me and when I've tried talking to them its been awkward. They've never been rude or anything, I'm just an outsider I guess. I also really want to meet a nice girl but I'm just not getting the chance to know any.

Anyway, one of my friends has asked me around his house to play some games, and then to go to town with him and his friends. I'm debating whether to go. I could begin to form friendships with some new people, but I'm not really a nightclub person and there is a no worse place than a nightclub for getting to know people you are unfamiliar with.

So what do you think I should do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Go! You can get to know them when you're at his house and slope off when they go into town if you really don't want to go.

ReputationRep:
    Go. You haven't got much to lose by giving it a try.

ReputationRep:
    What you got to lose? A night in alone? You won't meet girls if you turn down opportunities to go out and meet new people.

Go.

Or atleast go for me since I'm ill and can't drink alcohol. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have similar issues, I generally get asked out once a week by housemate but just really want to chill and relax as I have a lot of essays due in next few weeks, he asked me out clubbing every week and I generally did but as I said no last week he didnt ask me this week so I am a bit annoyed(not that I would want to go anyway ironically but will do in a few days)

ReputationRep:
    The reason you prob dont like going out is that you havnt really tried it enough. The more you do something the more you should like it. Being someone who is at uni, you should be trying new things. Dont waste your time at uni just studying!!! It might sound a bit strong, but GET A LIFE!!! (shock tacticts)

ReputationRep:
    Just go! Even if you don't enjoy it, it'd make you less of an "outsider" in the future so you could do other stuff with them instead rather than go to town and maybe meet a nice girl in the process. You've got nothing to lose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nat$)
    The reason you prob dont like going out is that you havnt really tried it enough. The more you do something the more you should like it. Being someone who is at uni, you should be trying new things. Dont waste your time at uni just studying!!! It might sound a bit strong, but GET A LIFE!!! (shock tacticts)
    I know what you mean about trying new things and I agree. I have done enough clubbing to know I don't enjoy it. It can be bareable when I'm with my best group of friends sometimes but its too loud to talk properly if you don't like dancing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robofish999)
    I know what you mean about trying new things and I agree. I have done enough clubbing to know I don't enjoy it. It can be bareable when I'm with my best group of friends sometimes but its too loud to talk properly if you don't like dancing
    Then maybe these friends are not the people you should be hanging around with. The whole point of having friends is that so you can enjoy the same things together. What are you into? Are you and out doors person? Trecking/camping....etc? You need to find out what you want to do with your friends. Are there groups and socities you could joint at your uni?

ReputationRep:
    Go out and have fun!!!
    And as for making friends, join an activity or sport... or even volunteer, you're bound to meet people doing that!

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** not?

ReputationRep:
    Go out and get smashed - you meet all kinds of delightful creatures.

ReputationRep:
    I think Nat hit the nail on the head. You might be mixing with the wrong crowd... we'd probably get along really well, I've been clubbing enough also to know that my heart just isnt in it. I can't dance but have still tried to have a good time - but its hard work, and it really shouldn't be.

If you can find some societies you're interested in you're guaranteed to meet new people that are into the same thing. If you're lacking in self confidence, put a front on at least until you've got talking to a few people - I'm quite shy but sometimes you have to force yourself out of your shell.

Someone said "don't study" but remember that there are people who party far too hard and end up with a third or dropping out altogether - find the right balance, but in doing so make sure its with the right people and you'll be a lot happier for it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.