Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have a few questions....I am currently in College... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, i have a few questions, but first i should explain a little about my past so that this makes more sense.

I finished high school with at least 5 a* - c grades so i could go to college and do a BTEC National Diploma easily, but i didn't get good enough grades to do A Levels.

I am currently at College and my main area of interest is computing, so i am on a course called BTEC National in IT and Computing, i have been at college for about 4 months or something now, and i haven't learnt one thing that i didnt know already, this course is really boring and i am not getting the challenge i need, i dont see the point in me going to college if i am not learning anything new and so i am looking for alternatives now if next term is boring too. The reason i want to wait until the end of next term is becuase i know that next term we are starting a subject that i haven never learnt before, so if i still dont learn anything next term, then i really know that there is little point in me being at college....

I would really like to get more hands on when it comes to computing and to learn with hands on activities rather than writing reports all the time! It would also be nice to work with a more mature bunch of people (no offence to the rest of my class.)

I would really like something that gives me more of a challenge, is there anything available to me at this time?

I also need something that will get be into University afterwards easily.

Please offer me advise, it is much appreciated.

Thanks

David.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davida50000)
    Hey guys, i have a few questions, but first i should explain a little about my past so that this makes more sense.

I finished high school with at least 5 a* - c grades so i could go to college and do a BTEC National Diploma easily, but i didn't get good enough grades to do A Levels.

I am currently at College and my main area of interest is computing, so i am on a course called BTEC National in IT and Computing, i have been at college for about 4 months or something now, and i haven't learnt one thing that i didnt know already, this course is really boring and i am not getting the challenge i need, i dont see the point in me going to college if i am not learning anything new and so i am looking for alternatives now if next term is boring too. The reason i want to wait until the end of next term is becuase i know that next term we are starting a subject that i haven never learnt before, so if i still dont learn anything next term, then i really know that there is little point in me being at college....

I would really like to get more hands on when it comes to computing and to learn with hands on activities rather than writing reports all the time! It would also be nice to work with a more mature bunch of people (no offence to the rest of my class.)

I would really like something that gives me more of a challenge, is there anything available to me at this time?

I also need something that will get be into University afterwards easily.

Please offer me advise, it is much appreciated.

Thanks

David.
    You're there so that you can get a qualification. I know a great many people who learnt very little new on IT courses at school or college (myself included).
    If it's a one year course I'd stick it out for the qualification and to avoid having wasted 4 months.

Read through websites and prospectuses from your local colleges and training providers - maybe you could look at apprenticeships in IT. Opportunities can vary based on location.

Try to list every IT course available to you along with entry requirements, end qualifications and future prospects (i.e. an XYZ Level 2 diploma is equivalent to 3 A-levels, which bodes well for university applications).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.