Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend has applied to study Primary Education with English or something or other at university. Whilst she has good A-Levels and has English and Mathematics at GCSE, she got a D in GCSE Science. Following rejection from Northampton, she's panicking as Kingston is her top choice (ranked 2nd for Primary Education too) and is worrying that she'll end up with 5 rejections. All specify GCSE Science is needed, although Canterbury CC seemed lenient from the entry requirements page we read.

I know this is for the benefit of my friend but anyway, who better to ask than you TSR folk. Secondary schools in the area have said that they can't offer her the retake, is there any institution that offers a retake in science once you've finished college or any alternative?

Thank youuu xx

ReputationRep:
    Colleges can offer her a retake, there's plenty of colleges. Though she'd be a bit late now as GCSE deadline for entries for the summer exams went through a week ago I think, unless that's only my college.

For primary from what I gather you need pass (C) at Maths, Science and English GCSE.

For secondary you only Maths and English (C) GCSE right?

ReputationRep:
    That's as it stands at the moment. Of course Dave has promised to change all that as soon as he gets in!

ReputationRep:
    You have to have C in Science at GCSE to do primary education, it is a basic requirement everywhere meaning it isn't looking good - any conditional offer she was given would state she also needed to pass the GCSE science, and if she hasn't stated she is retaking it then they will just reject her application I'm afraid.

She will be able to enrol at most further education college on a GCSE science course, although she probably won't be able to complete it by the summer meaning her best bet would be probably to reapply next year whilst working in a school to enhance her experience.

Edit:

Canterbury also say you need the C in science, seeing as I said, this is a general requirement to be given a place on a course:

"Entry requirements to primary teacher training courses now includes science as well as mathematics and English language GCSE (grade C or above) or acceptable equivalents."

http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/courses/...mary-education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    You have to have C in Science at GCSE to do primary education, it is a basic requirement everywhere meaning it isn't looking good - any conditional offer she was given would state she also needed to pass the GCSE science, and if she hasn't stated she is retaking it then they will just reject her application I'm afraid.

She will be able to enrol at most further education college on a GCSE science course, although she probably won't be able to complete it by the summer meaning her best bet would be probably to reapply next year whilst working in a school to enhance her experience.

Edit:

Canterbury also say you need the C in science, seeing as I said, this is a general requirement to be given a place on a course:

"Entry requirements to primary teacher training courses now includes science as well as mathematics and English language GCSE (grade C or above) or acceptable equivalents."

http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/courses/...mary-education

You're my personal helper at the moment haha
    She's on a gap year at the moment and has been working in a primary school since September which is good work experience for her. I just don't know what she's going to do about this GCSE. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superfrank)
    You're my personal helper at the moment haha
    She's on a gap year at the moment and has been working in a primary school since September which is good work experience for her. I just don't know what she's going to do about this GCSE. xx
    Not my fault you keep making threads I can contribute to :p:

Working in a primary school will be really good experience, yes, but she is not going to get anywhere without a GCSE in Science, its as simple as that because having a C in GCSE English, Maths and Science is a general entry requirement for every single teaching course in the country.

What she needs to do is contact all of the FE colleges in the local area to see whether they are currently offering a GCSE science course (or equivilants, the university websites will tell you what else is appropriate) which she could join/start but most last the entire academic year so she might not be successful with this option. Then her other option is to contact schools (start with her old school) and ask about if she can enter the summer exams as an external candidate - there is a fee of about £30 to do the exam. She needs to sort out something really soon because the deadlines for signing up to summer exams are in Feb (not sure when, I just know from friends but you could check on the website). Then if she manages to sign up for science in the summer she will have to inform all of the universities that she is trying to meet this requirement.

If she doesn't get her GCSE Science this year then she will have to do it next year and delay university. I guess this is a situation where forward planning would have been beneficial as given she is on a gap year anyway, this would have been a great year to sort out this sort of issue.

Her other option is to apply for education studies courses or similar this year (ie: withdrawing the teaching applications and then using UCAS Extra) for entry in September and then either completing the 3 year course then doing a Primary PGCE after graduation (this is what I am currently applying for, hence having the teaching knowledge) as I don't believe GCSE Science is an entry requirement for education studies so she would be able to resit the GCSE whilst at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Not my fault you keep making threads I can contribute to :p:

Working in a primary school will be really good experience, yes, but she is not going to get anywhere without a GCSE in Science, its as simple as that because having a C in GCSE English, Maths and Science is a general entry requirement for every single teaching course in the country.

What she needs to do is contact all of the FE colleges in the local area to see whether they are currently offering a GCSE science course (or equivilants, the university websites will tell you what else is appropriate) which she could join/start but most last the entire academic year so she might not be successful with this option. Then her other option is to contact schools (start with her old school) and ask about if she can enter the summer exams as an external candidate - there is a fee of about £30 to do the exam. She needs to sort out something really soon because the deadlines for signing up to summer exams are in Feb (not sure when, I just know from friends but you could check on the website). Then if she manages to sign up for science in the summer she will have to inform all of the universities that she is trying to meet this requirement.

If she doesn't get her GCSE Science this year then she will have to do it next year and delay university. I guess this is a situation where forward planning would have been beneficial as given she is on a gap year anyway, this would have been a great year to sort out this sort of issue.

Her other option is to apply for education studies courses or similar this year (ie: withdrawing the teaching applications and then using UCAS Extra) for entry in September and then either completing the 3 year course then doing a Primary PGCE after graduation (this is what I am currently applying for, hence having the teaching knowledge) as I don't believe GCSE Science is an entry requirement for education studies so she would be able to resit the GCSE whilst at university.

PERFECT! Thank you!! xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.