Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do Schools have jurisdiction over facebook 'cyber bullying' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically over the weekend I got into a massive stupid argument face book with a person in my school after I took the indirect piss out of someone's status. We *****ed, argued over face book etc. etc. I didn't behave well, it was stupid. I said to him lets just move on, but instead he thinks I'm cyberbullying him (Idiot) and he's going to report it to the School. I'm doubtful he will, and doubtful I would get persecuted. But I'm interested- does a school have jurisdiction over something like this?

ReputationRep:
    Be so careful about what you post online, especially on facebook where it;s attached to your name, people keep getting suspended at my school for posting dodgy things :s

ReputationRep:
    At my school they said they had the right to investigate etc etc.

It's not bullying unless incidents happen more than once though, and this just seems like an argument.

(Original post by BunnyS:))
    Be so careful about what you post online, especially on facebook where it;s attached to your name, people keep getting suspended at my school for posting dodgy things :s
    Was this during school time?

I doubt they can do anything over just arguing on facebook out of school hours, its got nothing to do with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdalol)
    Was this during school time?

I doubt they can do anything over just arguing on facebook out of school hours, its got nothing to do with them.
    It was out of school actually!
    But, fair enough, it discussed stuff that had happened at school.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't during school time. It was just a really silly argument. I told him to leave it and we were never going to agree with each other... he is just a nasty piece of work really!

ReputationRep:
    My school takes cyber bullying very seriously and in the event that cyber bullying is reported then they usually end up conducting a large inversigation that results in the cyberbully being disciplined.

ReputationRep:
    yes, they do
    they have "jurisdiction" over anything that involves pupils at that school
    if you were bullying someone out in the street after dinner do you REALLY think the school wouldn't get involved?

ReputationRep:
    In my old school any bullying that occurred outside of school whether in person or via the internet was punished with various measures ranging from detention and suspension to compulsory lessons on the effects of bullying.

Schools can punish pupils for what they do outside of school if they so wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambee Mcgee)
    But I'm interested- does a school have jurisdiction over something like this?
    Over genuine cyberbullying yeah. I don't know the full details of this case so whether it is or not is beyond my ability to comment upon.

The police do too.

ReputationRep:
    I just found my School's behaviour policy and it states 'If the incident involves two or more students from this school, if appropriate, the response will be the same as an incident occurring at school'

-Sigh- Well I'm sure my school will have the intelligence to realise that it really isn't a genuine case!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambee Mcgee)
    I just found my School's behaviour policy and it states 'If the incident involves two or more students from this school, if appropriate, the response will be the same as an incident occurring at school'

-Sigh- Well I'm sure my school will have the intelligence to realise that it really isn't a genuine case!
    I wouldn't be so sure, whenever anyone crys "Bullying" **** goes down.

ReputationRep:
    I would suppose it depends on the school and how private your profile is set. People at my old school got into a huge fight which became abusive emails and when the school found out classes involved had to sit through lectures about bullying and tolerence and how would you feel, yada yada yada, and nothing else happened.

ReputationRep:
    You could just go through and delete everything you posted.

ReputationRep:
    'Cyberbullying' :|

ReputationRep:
    ^ I have done... but apparently he has 'saved' everything So slightly worried he could alter it, although I have parts of it saved..Geeze

ReputationRep:
    haha, "cyberbullying"!!! We never had that when I was at school, **** just got a good old fashioned kicking in the playground.

Then again facebook didn't even get started until I was already at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think that thecyber world isn't controlled by exactly the same laws as the real world? Any school that didn't act on Facebook bullying would be leaving itself open to litigation.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they do. I personally don't think they should but hey, it doesn't matter what I think. Although the way you're describing it, it seems pretty minor, they're not going to do anything. One kid in my school a few years ago got expelled for making a website about another kid's dead dad, saying "haha" etc. That was obviously out of order and the school took action, although that's because parents got involved, the kid wanted to call the police or something, that got way out of hand.

But an arguement isn't really grounds for any punishment. Me personally, I think the teachers shouldn't get involved in any incident off school premises/out of school time that doesn't involve the school. Simple. They shouldn't act like your parents when they don't need to.

ReputationRep:
    Does your school have an anti-bullying charter?
    Look it up if you have one and then you'll know how they stand on cyber bullying: They'll usually get pretty involved - and rightly so! Bullying at school at least stays in the playground - it doens't infiltrate your home. Cyber bullying instead sits there waiting for you when you get home...

Some schools do take it to extremes though: A few of the schools near me even have fake accounts that they use to monitor their pupils with!! :O

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.