Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Alcohol at uni...advise please watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Just get some self controll god damn it..

ReputationRep:
    I just realised when you said you ended up with ADDD you were talking about marks and it wasn't a typo for ADD. Was quite confusing for a few seconds.

Oh yeah and it's hard to escape alcohol at uni. You should have a rule, that you have to not drink at least 3 days a week, and when you do drink, you don't start until after 6 or something.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think if you're worried about your self-control and alcohol this much, you should quit and go completely teetotal. If you don't want to do this, you could just cut down even more. http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/tips-and...n-cutting-down

By the sounds of it in year 12 you were teetering on the edge of being addicted to alcohol, but luckily you managed to pry yourself away and just drink at weekends.

Obviously if you want to quit but you think you'll have trouble doing this there are groups and charities which can help;

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/

I would say Alcoholics anonymous but it doesn't look like it's that serious, however you could always go along and listen to their stories, it might put you off drinking anymore. Another source of help is your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar_king)
    Oh yeah and it's hard to escape alcohol at uni. You should have a rule, that you have to not drink at least 3 days a week, and when you do drink, you don't start until after 6 or something.
    yeh I think that's a good idea to just drink a few days, after freshers of course!

Sorry but I can't give up alcohol, I don't think I'm addicted now but I just think in my social circles drinking is common. If i say I ain't drinking everyone keeps asking why so I just give in lol

ReputationRep:
    You have got to be grown up a about the situation. Realise that you are going to drink, but like someone else said, and have some self control.

ReputationRep:
    self control is definately easier said than done, I do try but when some situations arise it is really hard to say no, if I say no to a drink sometimes people think its really weird and I must be pregnant or something lol, but I guess in uni if people don't know what I'm lik eI could reinvent myself and attitudes towards drinking...

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine most students do that every other night depending on where you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnlyOutAtNight)
    I don't think I'm addicted now but I just think in my social circles drinking is common
    You drink every day, even while at class... and you don't think you're addicted? ********.

ReputationRep:
    You will have the be able to control yourself. Yes partying is a major thing at university depending on who you are, however the reason you are there is to study and come out with a top degree so don't ever let drink get in the way of that.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone will love you!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I drink all the time too, and before exams occasionally - a few drinks doesn'tmake much difference. Besides you could be drunk during the exams and still scrape a third.

ReputationRep:
    I too agree with the not drinking before a certain hour of the day, my first semester I was drunk every second night and it wasn't good lol

In uni we don't go out at the weekend really, and usually it's quiet on certain nights of the week

I think if one of my hall mates drinking in the morning before uni classes on my own they would get me some help though. Maybe if you do end up losing control someone will help?

ReputationRep:
    self control is definitely easier said than done, I do try but when some situations arise it is really hard to say no, if I say no to a drink sometimes people think its really weird and I must be pregnant or something lol, but I guess in uni if people don't know what I'm lik eI could reinvent myself and attitudes towards drinking...
    Believe me Ive had a lot of ups and downs when it comes to self control, but maybe it will be something that you learn while at uni. If you still feel that you dont trust youself around drink then maybe it means you need to go through more bad times to realise, and gain experiance being around drink. I dont think you should stop drinking.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Depending you your course it's quite possible for you to get blind drunk every night and still pass with flying colours.

ReputationRep:
    if you cant control alcohol then you are an idiot

control it

ReputationRep:
    OK so in yr12(last yr) I used to drink literally at every opportunity, sometimes before 6th form or at lunch, I drunk in some lessons too, mostly vodka mixed in with coke or a few times I brought Baileys from home.

Anyways near the exams i managed to calm down and ended up with ADDD. I was calmer in the summer too although I had my binge moments, I must have been like the only person worried about turning 18 because I didnt know if i could control myself with unlimited access to alcohol and I think I have been doing really well.

I still go out on weekends and get "falling over drunk" sometimes but on the whole I don't let it interfere with work, Im now prediced ABC which I was quite literally amazed at, although I dont think I'll get it I gome to get at least CCB for Portsmouth. Basically things are looking up!

One thing that worries me is Alcohol in university, I don't know if I could maintain this control with all the cheap booze(and I really know how to economise) and nights out and don't know how much work I'll get done, also I may act confident sometimes but I get kind of shy when meeting new people so I think I'll feel more inclined to drink.

ANY ADVISE PLEASE?

btw do people think its true that if you have family members that drink you are more inclined to yourself?
    sorry for going on....x
    I think you should consider the possibility that you do have a problem with alchohol. There is evidence that issues with alcohol can run in families, including a susceptibility to dependence. Sometimes, total abstinence (ie no alcohol at all) is the only way to manage it. In that case, you simply say to people that your doctor has advised you that, for you, alcohol is dangerous, and therefore you don't drink (and beware of idiots who think it's clever to spike a drink for you). Why should this be any different from a nut allergy?? No-one would insist on giving you peanuts if they knew it could kill you. The fact that - usually - alcohol excess takes a few years to do this doesn't make it any different.

Apart from being really really bad for your physical health in the longer term, if you do get into a drinking pattern like this at uni you will be in major difficulties with your work very quickly. You are also putting yourself at major risk of STDs, pregnancy, and worse.

Help is available out there and I would strongly recommend that you talk to someone professionally about the issue. Sadly, 'willpower' is rarely enough, especially in an environment where alcohol is readily available. The links provided by dangermouse00 are definitely worth pursuing.

Please don't ignore the problem and hope it will go away: what you describe is not 'normal' or 'safe' - at any age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I think you should consider the possibility that you do have a problem with alchohol. There is evidence that issues with alcohol can run in families, including a susceptibility to dependence. Sometimes, total abstinence (ie no alcohol at all) is the only way to manage it. In that case, you simply say to people that your doctor has advised you that, for you, alcohol is dangerous, and therefore you don't drink (and beware of idiots who think it's clever to spike a drink for you). Why should this be any different from a nut allergy?? No-one would insist on giving you peanuts if they knew it could kill you. The fact that - usually - alcohol excess takes a few years to do this doesn't make it any different.

Apart from being really really bad for your physical health in the longer term, if you do get into a drinking pattern like this at uni you will be in major difficulties with your work very quickly. You are also putting yourself at major risk of STDs, pregnancy, and worse.

Help is available out there and I would strongly recommend that you talk to someone professionally about the issue. Sadly, 'willpower' is rarely enough, especially in an environment where alcohol is readily available. The links provided by dangermouse00 are definitely worth pursuing.

Please don't ignore the problem and hope it will go away: what you describe is not 'normal' or 'safe' - at any age.
    Thanks for the rep Minerva It's well appreciated. Sorry it took me this long to notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangermouse00)
    Thanks for the rep Minerva It's well appreciated. Sorry it took me this long to notice.
    No problem

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.