Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You could take a fast track A-level course. That would only take a year for both AS and A2...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Someone I know had the same problem and her only option was to do AS+A2 English this year. Without the A level I doubt you'd be even slightly prepared for the degree, personally :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Freddy*)
    Thanks, yeah I've heard of it, but my problem is that I'm technically on my second gap year, so wanted to know if there was any way I could enrol on something this year. Like any unis that do foundation courses or mainly, unis that might be lenient with someone without English A2.
    Hmm.
    Hmm...well, I don't know about that, but you could always take the course online. It's easy and you can take as much or as little time as you want. All you have to do is find an exam centre and sign yourself up as a prvate candidate...if you're interested, you can try www.oxfordcollege.ac

I'm taking 4 A-levels with them and I quite like it

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt it. You might have been in with a shot if you'd done something like history, but really your only option is to do AS and A2 in a year.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by *Freddy*)
    Yeah that is a good point. I did do English lit for AS, but it was three (?) years ago, and therefore on the old syllabus. Now, I can't continue with it onto A2 - I'd have to do both on the new syllabus, pretty annoying.

Do you think, that with a good A level in English, (if I took it next year) I could get away with not having any other humanity subjects. Obviously a good uni would be nice, but competition's high, so any top 50 would probably do for me.
    I think you'd be fine. If I remember rightly there is a girl from last year who got into Bristol with just English, and her other subjects were maths & sciences. But I may be thinking of someone else... My friend who is doing AS+A2 this year has already got offers from Exeter, Sheffield and Glasgow
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think there is a small handful of universities which actually will consider people even without an English A-level (I know of one former TSR regular who changed his mind about his maths course, dropped out and went to Essex for English without an A-level in English), but you'd be limiting yourself quite a bit, because as I said, they're few and far between.

ReputationRep:
    You might be able to do an Access course in something related to English. I'm doing one at the moment (mine also has Media in it) and am quite enjoying it. I'm finding it a lot harder than A Levels because the coursework load is far bigger than that of the latter. Some universities have a policy where Access students are guaranteed a place providing they pass their course.

ReputationRep:
    You could always try English& Maths degree

ReputationRep:
    I know that Newcastle University consider applicant with only an English A level and no other humanities.

My cousin got an offer from there (for 2008 entry) with English and two sciences and maths.
    That being said, she originally applied there for medicine and they rejected her but said they would give her a place on the English course, so she didn't actually apply for English so I'm not sure exactly how it would work in your situation. Do some research, contact a few universities maybe?

But I agree with most other people on here you should do either an English A level or some other kind of English related course first.

Plus university isn't going anywhere, it will still be there in a year and if it's really what you want to do it's probably worth it, I would think

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.