burqa's are so last season darling:pierre:

ReputationRep:
    live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derf1)
    very good point
    :]

ReputationRep:
    according to my opinion and what's in the quran and the sunnah of the prophat. hijab i.e covering the head alongside the neck is compulsory on every believing woman in islam but covering of the face with it is not compulsory but rewarding.and it is against the law of shariah for hijab to be forced on muslims because to be a muslim one has to know everything pertaining to it. if u're a muslim and you're there saying using hijab is not compulsory on female it's just like running away from big sin and you won't know when u're commiting the small ones like saying using hijab is wrong

ReputationRep:
    If they are worn to prevent women from being seen as 'sex objects', doesn't the problem therefore lie with the men who originally see them in that light? So shouldn't they have to deal with the problem themselves, and not rely on women to conceal themselves? I'd rather it be a world whereby no-one feels they have to hide from anyone/anything because they have no prior reason to do so, but then again I have been told I'm a bit too idealistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rouge*)
    it's her life and so if a woman wants to wear a burqa, who are we to judge?she should be able to do what she wants.
    [applauds]
    ;]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Should men not be able to control themselves? Do all women who choose not wear the burqa want to be viewed as sexual toys?

In equal terms, shouldn't men dress in such a way as to not be viewed by women as sexual toys? Are men then, allowed to be viewed as sexual toys by other women?

Can you argue this is completely free from patriarchal dominance?

I'd just be interested to see your views on those questions.

In response to the OPs question: I dislike the burqa and as I'm not a follower of Islam, I can't see it's uses and I believe there should be a male/female fairness about it. However, banning it would be restricting the freedom to dress as you like, so that would be a bad move.
    A)Not all men are muslim(that is practising) so not all can control themselve therfore it is oneself (man or women) to protect their dignity and freedom. AND Its not the fact that they should be it is that they could be.:cool:

B)Oh yea their are STRICT guidelines for men too they MUST cover the area from their naval to their knees. They MUST not shave there beard. They cannot have fancy hair e.g. a step cut that is forbidden. They should not be veiwed as sexual toys too, furthermore, in todays and yesterdays societies men were and are very rarely looked upon as sexual toys much less so than women. This is a fact so the need for women to protect their dignity is more important.:woo:

C) Yes, it is as patriachal dominence is about men feeling or "being" more superior. In Islam everything a women(a mature one that is) does is her own will and NO-ONE can take that away from her. So if a woman does not want to wear a Burqa NO MAN OR WOMEN IS ALLOWED TO FORCE HER TO DO IT, they can only encourage her. IF A MAN TRIES TO DOMINATE ANY WOMEN EVEN HIS OWN WIFE THEN HE IS IN THE WRONG AND ISLAM DOES NOT CONDONE THIS. By dominate i mean make a fell lesser than him or make HER DO ANYTHING AGAINST HER WILL. P.S. if you do your research islam stresses on humans having a free will YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT BUT FOR THE WRONG ACTIONS THEIR WILL BE CONSEQUENCES.

ReputationRep:
    It's not anyone's business what they want to wear. Stop thinking you know better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdman09)
    If they are worn to prevent women from being seen as 'sex objects', doesn't the problem therefore lie with the men who originally see them in that light? So shouldn't they have to deal with the problem themselves, and not rely on women to conceal themselves? I'd rather it be a world whereby no-one feels they have to hide from anyone/anything because they have no prior reason to do so, but then again I have been told I'm a bit too idealistic
    What you gonna do? Brainwash men into being gay? You have one peek at a 'fit' girl, but to the girl it seems like ogling.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit OTT and I wouldn't wear it myself, but those who would should never be denied the right to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the perfect excuse to make a troll thread. Seems familiar though:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sear...17814265&pp=25

:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Personally don't like burqa's but i think everyone should have the right to wear whatever they want, i'm fairly sure not everyone likes my clothes either! i don't think anyone should be forced to wear one though. from those 2 stories about france i think its totally out of order they refused that one woman citizenship if it was ONLY because she wears the burqa but if that guy was forcing his wife to then that is going against western values so that i have a problem with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    What you gonna do? Brainwash men into being gay? You have one peek at a 'fit' girl, but to the girl it seems like ogling.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm gonna do! I'm going to brainwash every man into being gay, and then I'll create a New World Order consisting of homos ............... :rolleyes: I was referring to the more extreme cases of objectification, because in my opinion, looking at a girl because she's fine isn't making them out to be a sex object. That's just absurd! And if that was the case, women would be equally as guilty as men are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akbar2k7)
    A)Not all men are muslim(that is practising) so not all can control themselve therfore it is oneself (man or women) to protect their dignity and freedom. AND Its not the fact that they should be it is that they could be.:cool:

B)Oh yea their are STRICT guidelines for men too they MUST cover the area from their naval to their knees. They MUST not shave there beard. They cannot have fancy hair e.g. a step cut that is forbidden. They should not be veiwed as sexual toys too, furthermore, in todays and yesterdays societies men were and are very rarely looked upon as sexual toys much less so than women. This is a fact so the need for women to protect their dignity is more important.:woo:

C) Yes, it is as patriachal dominence is about men feeling or "being" more superior. In Islam everything a women(a mature one that is) does is her own will and NO-ONE can take that away from her. So if a woman does not want to wear a Burqa NO MAN OR WOMEN IS ALLOWED TO FORCE HER TO DO IT, they can only encourage her. IF A MAN TRIES TO DOMINATE ANY WOMEN EVEN HIS OWN WIFE THEN HE IS IN THE WRONG AND ISLAM DOES NOT CONDONE THIS. By dominate i mean make a fell lesser than him or make HER DO ANYTHING AGAINST HER WILL. P.S. if you do your research islam stresses on humans having a free will YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT BUT FOR THE WRONG ACTIONS THEIR WILL BE CONSEQUENCES.
    Fair play, valid points. Now I just find it odd that men are expected to cover less of their bodies than women, when really they are covering for the same reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdman09)
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm gonna do! I'm going to brainwash every man into being gay, and then I'll create a New World Order consisting of homos ............... :rolleyes: I was referring to the more extreme cases of objectification, because in my opinion, looking at a girl because she's fine isn't making them out to be a sex object. That's just absurd! And if that was the case, women would be equally as guilty as men are
    You have contradicted your arguement. That's exactly what sexual objectification is, and then you turn it around by blaming it on them.

I meant, that utopian world you dreamed up where no man oggles at women is never gonna happen unless you brainwash men discreetly into being homosexuals, so women would not be oggled at. But even then, one of the biggest investors in women's sexual enslavement/objectification are gay men (not stereotyping, there are many prominent gay men in the fashion industry- Alexander McQueen, Karl Largerfeld, Julian McDonauld, Tom Ford) in the fashion industry. Can we ever be safe?
    For that reason I support women's right to wear the burkah

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know much about why women wear the Burka.
    Oh wait, isn't it a religious thing? Mainly Muslims who do it? But I don't like Muslims! I'd better think of something bad to say about it quick! But what shall I say...?

Makes people look like ninjas... looks kind of unusual... I'm not used to it... hmm those complaints won't do, I'd better think of something better than that. Hmm.

I know!
    :judge:
    Ahem. Burkas are a symbol of oppression, and how women are inferior to men. It's just their husbands that force them to wear it. Women should be allowed to choose what to wear. We should therefore ban the Burka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Fair play, valid points. Now I just find it odd that men are expected to cover less of their bodies than women, when really they are covering for the same reasons.
    Probably for the same reason that, in clubs, women show more of their body than men do, even though they are both there for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    It's illiberal, fascist and degrading to women. But to ban it would be illiberal, fascist and degrading to women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    You have contradicted your arguement. That's exactly what sexual objectification is, and then you turn it around by blaming it on them.

I meant, that utopian world you dreamed up where no man oggles at women is never gonna happen unless you brainwash men discreetly into being homosexuals, so women would not be oggled at. But even then, one of the biggest investors in women's sexual enslavement/objectification are gay men (not stereotyping, there are many prominent gay men in the fashion industry- Alexander McQueen, Karl Largerfeld, Julian McDonauld, Tom Ford) in the fashion industry. Can we ever be safe?
    For that reason I support women's right to wear the burkah
    Stop nitpicking. I even said I was being too idealistic in my first comment, and that can clearly never be a reality. Looking at a fit girl is not objectifying them, because I am not depicting them out to be a 'sex toy', I would merely be admiring their beauty.

ReputationRep:
    But the Burqa isn't a Muslim phenomenon, as much as a Afghan/Pakistanti phenomenon. No other Muslim population, of any other ethnic origin, uses the burqa commonly. The Niqab, admittedly, is a little more widespread, but even then, only hardcore-fundamentalist Arab communities use it, and they are an extreme minority.

Also, there are many women (admittedly not all, but that's another point), that wear Burqa/Niqab of their own free will. Many simply do it as they feel re-assured in doing so. This somewhat irrational fear of becoming an object of lust is rooted in a very conservative society, and they genuinely feel all the better for it. If it is forced upon them by a husband, then it is surely wrong, but if it is a free choice, we have no right to interfere.

@MJlover - I feel that you're being slightly melodramatic about it, albeit the core of your point being largely correct. Is there actually any harm if a man stares at a woman, and then these thoughts remain only inside the mind of that man? It is only when the women herself allows herself to become the object of a man's lust, by appearing in attrocious publications such as Zoo or nuts, that an issue arises, as certain sectors of the male population then may begin to expect all women to dress (or, perhaps, undress) in such a manner. This doesn't mean that a woman will only feel safe in a burqa, though.

Nonetheless, I do support the right of a woman to wear the burqa/niqab, and do not wish to see it banned. I only wish that people would not be:

a) so dogmatic about it. If a woman wishes to wear it, fine. But one cannot force their wife to wear it, nor can an imam force his followers to wear it. That is abuse of religious trust and freedom.

b) be so negative toward it. Most western arguments, particularly in France, against the Burqa consist of it making the wearer's anti-European, because it isn't an accepted part of the European identity. But that's naive and foolish.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.