Turn on thread page Beta

im planning on gettin a radar detecter for my car but ive also been lookin at the more expensive types that use GPS aswell. are the GPS types worth? does any1 have any experiance using them etc?

oooh,how cool!
    how much more is the GPS one?

(Original post by yo-less)
    oooh,how cool!
    how much more is the GPS one?
    normal from about £70, GPS were about £300

thats a big difference.not sure it's worth it.but you should proably ask an expert

i kno there is a big difference... standard radar would probably do. most of my drivin is in 1 area so i know where all the fixed cameras are. its mainly the mobile cameras/hand cameras that i dont kno. and i sometimes go to different parts of the country so dont really know where any cameras are

ReputationRep:
    I think the detectors that use lasers are to be made illegal, but the normal detectors are okay as they just warn you where the "accident blackspots" are

(Original post by glance)
    I think the detectors that use lasers are to be made illegal, but the normal detectors are okay as they just warn you where the "accident blackspots" are
    id rather know where the accident hotspots are. after all, thats the only place to put a gatso :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Here's a radical idea........don't speed

ReputationRep:
    Radar/infra-red based ones are definitely becoming illegal to use very soon (they may be already actually). However, GPS based ones are still legal to use. GPS ones are the only ones worth buying at the moment to be honest. The reason radar based ones are being outlawed is that they can tell you whether a camera is actually operational, whereas GPS ones tell you about all the cameras - whether or not they're operational at the time. Radar based ones also give countless false alarms (things like automatic doors set them off). We have a 'RoadAngel' (GPS based), and it works very well (picks up fixed cameras and the laser guns) - expensive, but worth it.

(Original post by SyncMaster_770)
    Radar/infra-red based ones are definitely becoming illegal to use very soon (they may be already actually). However, GPS based ones are still legal to use. GPS ones are the only ones worth buying at the moment to be honest. The reason radar based ones are being outlawed is that they can tell you whether a camera is actually operational, whereas GPS ones tell you about all the cameras - whether or not they're operational at the time. Radar based ones also give countless false alarms (things like automatic doors set them off). We have a 'RoadAngel' (GPS based), and it works very well (picks up fixed cameras and the laser guns) - expensive, but worth it.
    i was thinkin of gettin a GPS type. but do they still pick up cameras not stored on them? also radar types are still legal for now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    i was thinkin of gettin a GPS type. but do they still pick up cameras not stored on them? also radar types are still legal for now
    When you buy a GPS one, they normally give you a year of free updates. You plug the detector into your PC's USB socket and use the program that comes with it to update the camera locations using the internet - so as more cameras are built, they are added to the detector's memory. After the free year's subscription is up, you can just pay for another 1,2 or 3 years, or some makers offer a lifetime subscription for a one off fee.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2005
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.