Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

help with nursing application please :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Due to my current location and age it seems that i cannot do a chemistry Alevel without paying a stupid amount, so i cannot apply to medicine like i hoped....however this is fine because my main reason for applying to medicine was because i have a huge interest in patient care. so nursing is now my first choice career.

could you help me with my application please

my uni choices so far are:
    northumbria (live in newcastle and i know the hospitals here are awsome),
    oxford brookes (use to live in oxford so know that they have a good nursing course)
    leeds (biggest teaching hospital in europe - yea please)

my grade predictions (taking all in one year):
    biology - B (but working my ass off for an A)
    maths - A,
    religious studies - B.

my experiance:
    -worked for 12 months as a health care asistant in the comunity (still work there),
    - HCA bank work at local hospital,
    - volunteer at childrens center (alongside midwives and health visitors),
    - teach dance at local outreach programme for kids from disturbed back grounds,
    - volunteered with st johns ambulance for aprox 2 years.
    - currently waiting on hospital shadowing experiance and gp surgery experiance.
    others: - take regular professional dance classes (im a trainned professional dancer),
    - do part time shifts as a waitress,
    - take part in many community activiteis (esp with my church).

this is basically what will be on my ucas application. so......

1. do you know of anything that i am missing from my application? esp in regards to the three unis mentioned above.
    i know that i have a good amount of experinace and ok Alevel preditions for nursing but i am worried that i will get rejected because i have missed somthing out.

2. what is the general entry/selection prosedure that nursing unis use to pick candadates? do i fulfil it?

3. alot of uni websites say they give preferance to people with science Alevels, am i one on thoes people? will only taking one science alevel put me at a disadvantage?

THANKS

(also before anyone starts; i really am interested in nursing,yes, i may use the degree later on in life to apply for medicine but for the moment i am happy being/applying to be a nurse and helping patient regain health though this pathway. so please dont go on to me about medicine because as long as i am helpping save lives i dont care either way.)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Have you thought about Nottingham? Good teaching hospital there too, and I'd say Sheffield was the same as well.

I don't think you're missing anything; you've got a lot of experience there and it's all very relevant. Not sure about the selection process but I don't personally know anyone who was rejected from nursing - they all had lots of experience like you, though! I'd say you are one of those people and I'd say biology is very relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Glad you have decided to apply for nursing - you have done the right thing researching all your options first rather than just rushing into it!

First of all I don't think you will have any problems in getting accepted. Your A level grades are very high for nursing and you have picked really good subjects! I did human biology, maths and history. Did you know that Maths can actually be counted as a science?? So you have 2! But nursing courses usually just like you to have 1 science or sometimes you don't even need a science at A level - AS will do.

You have picked 3 Uni's, are you gonna pick 2 more? as back-up choices?
    Also Leeds is a great choice!(y) great city and University!! ( I went there for 3 months but dropped out)

You have enough experience which will definitely be an advantage to you! But if I was you on your UCAS application - only mention experiences which are relevant to nursing! So don't mention waitressing etc.. As they are interested in what experiences have made you want to become a nurse.

As for the selection process - they look at your personal statement and make sure you sound like a caring person who is really determined to have a career in nursing. They also have a look at your grades and experience. Then applicants are shortlisted for an interview.
    Although I have had an interview twice and I didnt have enough points. So they could have just not given me an interview! So it can't all be based on that. I'm sure you will have no problem in getting offers

GOOD LUCK with your application!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    Hey

Glad you have decided to apply for nursing - you have done the right thing researching all your options first rather than just rushing into it!

First of all I don't think you will have any problems in getting accepted. Your A level grades are very high for nursing and you have picked really good subjects! I did human biology, maths and history. Did you know that Maths can actually be counted as a science?? So you have 2! But nursing courses usually just like you to have 1 science or sometimes you don't even need a science at A level - AS will do.

You have picked 3 Uni's, are you gonna pick 2 more? as back-up choices?
    Also Leeds is a great choice!(y) great city and University!! ( I went there for 3 months but dropped out)

You have enough experience which will definitely be an advantage to you! But if I was you on your UCAS application - only mention experiences which are relevant to nursing! So don't mention waitressing etc.. As they are interested in what experiences have made you want to become a nurse.

As for the selection process - they look at your personal statement and make sure you sound like a caring person who is really determined to have a career in nursing. They also have a look at your grades and experience. Then applicants are shortlisted for an interview.
    Although I have had an interview twice and I didnt have enough points. So they could have just not given me an interview! So it can't all be based on that. I'm sure you will have no problem in getting offers

GOOD LUCK with your application!!!!
    thanks for this.
    a few questions;

1. why did you drop out of leeds? was there something you didnt like about the course/city/hospitals?

2. i know all relevent experiance should be on the ucas form but what about extra curricular (like my dancing?) should i put that on? i have performed for the queen and won many awards and feel like it would show me off but is it un-nessesary on a nursing application?

3. in regards to picking 2 more unis; i cant think of any where else i wanna go. dont really know much about other places. what would you say would be a 'safe' back up uni for nursing? i really wanna get in coz i am 24 and dont want to have to take another year out if im rejected. is there even such a thing as a 'safe back up'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)

1. why did you drop out of leeds? was there something you didnt like about the course/city/hospitals?
    It was to do with the course! I was studying Public Health Nutrition, I orginally wanted to be a Dietitian(but couldn't because I didn't take Chemistry for A level) I didn't want to be a 'Nutritionist' and felt like it was a waste of time doing something I didn't want to do! And i've always known I wanted to work in healthcare! So I thought about it all, researched it and applied for nursing!
    But Leeds was great made some real good friends there and just loved the city!

2. i know all relevent experiance should be on the ucas form but what about extra curricular (like my dancing?) should i put that on? i have performed for the queen and won many awards and feel like it would show me off but is it un-nessesary on a nursing application?

Well it is unnecessary if you just list what you have done like above, you have to think from the admissions point of view - even if you have danced for the Queen what has it got to do with being a nurse and saving peoples lives? but I would still put your dancing down but remembering to link all the skills you have learnt from dancing to nursing e.g you said you were a dance teacher so you could say how it helped your confidence and communication skills etc... the personal statement people on this forum are good for helping!

3. in regards to picking 2 more unis; i cant think of any where else i wanna go. dont really know much about other places. what would you say would be a 'safe' back up uni for nursing? i really wanna get in coz i am 24 and dont want to have to take another year out if im rejected. is there even such a thing as a 'safe back up'?
    Well I wouldn't worry about it if you can't think of anywhere else, I mean you have 3 choices already. I only picked 2 Uni's when I applied but I wish I would have picked more really!
    How about Chester? Its a nice Uni! and like someone else said Nottingham. Also it will give you practise for interviews and what a nice feeling it would be to get accepted from 5 different Uni's. You don't have to apply for 5 but just say you get rejected for all 3(which I doubt you will!) its nice just to have back-ups. They can still be good Uni's though just not your first choice!

ReputationRep:
    Due to my current location and age it seems that i cannot do a chemistry Alevel without paying a stupid amount, so i cannot apply to medicine like i hoped....however this is fine because my main reason for applying to medicine was because i have a huge interest in patient care. so nursing is now my first choice career.

could you help me with my application please

my uni choices so far are:
    northumbria (live in newcastle and i know the hospitals here are awsome),
    oxford brookes (use to live in oxford so know that they have a good nursing course)
    leeds (biggest teaching hospital in europe - yea please)

my grade predictions (taking all in one year):
    biology - B (but working my ass off for an A)
    maths - A,
    religious studies - B.

my experiance:
    -worked for 12 months as a health care asistant in the comunity (still work there),
    - HCA bank work at local hospital,
    - volunteer at childrens center (alongside midwives and health visitors),
    - teach dance at local outreach programme for kids from disturbed back grounds,
    - volunteered with st johns ambulance for aprox 2 years.
    - currently waiting on hospital shadowing experiance and gp surgery experiance.
    others: - take regular professional dance classes (im a trainned professional dancer),
    - do part time shifts as a waitress,
    - take part in many community activiteis (esp with my church).

this is basically what will be on my ucas application. so......

1. do you know of anything that i am missing from my application? esp in regards to the three unis mentioned above.
    i know that i have a good amount of experinace and ok Alevel preditions for nursing but i am worried that i will get rejected because i have missed somthing out.

2. what is the general entry/selection prosedure that nursing unis use to pick candadates? do i fulfil it?

3. alot of uni websites say they give preferance to people with science Alevels, am i one on thoes people? will only taking one science alevel put me at a disadvantage?

THANKS

(also before anyone starts; i really am interested in nursing,yes, i may use the degree later on in life to apply for medicine but for the moment i am happy being/applying to be a nurse and helping patient regain health though this pathway. so please dont go on to me about medicine because as long as i am helpping save lives i dont care either way.)
    You do have a lot of good experience, but remember to communicate what you learned from these experiences. It is no good listing them, say what you felt when you were working with patients and what qualities it highlighted in yourself.

Good Luck with your application.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.