Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    From Norwich to Brighton this weekend...

The problem is that all of the tickets on National Rail's websites require me to change trains in the same minute that I arrive at each station (there are two changes).

What can I do about this? As I don't want to end up missing a train and getting fined for being on a later one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalmerPolice)
    From Norwich to Brighton this weekend...

The problem is that all of the tickets on National Rail's websites require me to change trains in the same minute that I arrive at each station (there are two changes).

What can I do about this? As I don't want to end up missing a train and getting fined for being on a later one
    Is the journey Norwich -> Stratford London -> London Bridge -> Brighton (that's what I get when I search on thetrainline.com)?

If so, the journey from Stratford to London Bridge is by Tube, so won't have exact times. Instead, it just shows the start and end times of that leg of the journey as when the adjacent legs end and start. You should be fine, but if you're really concerned then just give the ticket office a call and ask.

ReputationRep:
    don't worry about it, you need to be on time for your connection at (London Bridge is it?) thats whats important, and any connection between Liverpool St (I asume?) wont matter what time it is but it will get you to your final Brighton train on time before it departures as they always over estimate London tube connections.

ReputationRep:
    Failing that, you could always get two separate tickets? I don't think the times are all that strict, anyway - I got on a Virgin train an hour earlier once and they were absolutely fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harleygrant)
    Failing that, you could always get two separate tickets? I don't think the times are all that strict, anyway - I got on a Virgin train an hour earlier once and they were absolutely fine with it.
    That depends entirely on the type of ticket. In particular, "Advance" tickets can only be used for the specified time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    That depends entirely on the type of ticket. In particular, "Advance" tickets can only be used for the specified time.
    in theory.. although a conductor will always accept a missed connection as a valid reason in my experience.

Getting an earlier train is a bit risky, the only time I was pulled up was on a Virgin (Bristol-London). They told me to get off at the next station and wait 2hours for the correct train, would have be alright if it wasnt a deserted town in on a Sunday evening

ReputationRep:
    Is the journey Norwich -> Stratford London -> London Bridge -> Brighton (that's what I get when I search on thetrainline.com)?

If so, the journey from Stratford to London Bridge is by Tube, so won't have exact times. Instead, it just shows the start and end times of that leg of the journey as when the adjacent legs end and start. You should be fine, but if you're really concerned then just give the ticket office a call and ask.
    Ooooh yeah that makes sense

I'll double check when I book but that seems to be the case.

Thanks for all the replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trojan10_om)
    in theory.. although a conductor will always accept a missed connection as a valid reason in my experience.

Getting an earlier train is a bit risky, the only time I was pulled up was on a Virgin (Bristol-London). They told me to get off at the next station and wait 2hours for the correct train, would have be alright if it wasnt a deserted town in on a Sunday evening
    Yeah, I'll give you that one, though I wouldn't want to try it too often...

ReputationRep:
    If you miss the train because your previous train was late then you will be fine. I am pretty sure this is actually stated in the National Rail Terms of Carriage.
    If you miss the train because of your own fault, then some conductors will be sympathetic to valid excuses, but be prepared to pay for the full fare.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.