Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what's the maximum cash you can carry around on you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter if your employed or unemployed? If so, what is the bare minimum for each?

Also, if you where carrying around just under that, and the police stopped you, what rights do you have? etc etc.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    surely you mean maximum?

and i carry a total of £0 on me, i always use a credit card instead.

and well i reckon you could carry a couple of hundred on you without anyone thinking anything of it

ReputationRep:
    I always carry about a grand around with me no questions asked :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    FACT: Peter Stringfellow carries £200 cash around with him

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you mean the opposite; legally as much as you can carry. In practice though if you look suspicious enough (i.e. poor) they'll assume you're a drug dealer, thief etc and all sorts of trouble will ensue. If you look as if you earned it, you're ok. However 500k in a trunk is shady by anyone's reckoning and they might take you in for questioning. Moral is don't get stopped by the police.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. I have cards, why would I need cash?
    Employed.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I carry a maximum of £20 just in case I get mugged or something :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Ahahaha! O.K, I'm the biggest douche ever! Lol. Sorry fellas, I ment maximum cash you can carry. Lol. I actually loled
    I've had 17k on me before, I think over 50k would be too bulky to carry (in 50s).

ReputationRep:
    ermm i think th epolice are bound to ask if youre carrying more than say £200 but if youre carrying like £1000...thats when suspicians arise :P

oh but i always acrry £10-20 just in case- its my emergency money reserve so im not allowed to use that unless i NEED to lol

ReputationRep:
    So no one really knows the "legal" ammount thats allowed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    I ment maximum cash you can carry.
    Again, no law covers this.

ReputationRep:
    me and my mate had to take out our house deposits in cash today because online banking wasn't working so we had to walk 10 mins in Manchester with £720 cash in our pockets =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Again, no law covers this.
    I see. (well in the united states, its upto $2,000 no questions asked. Thats what I'm trying to find out.)

ReputationRep:
    No, theres got to be. I watched it on the T.V once. Thats why I asked, I just forgot. I think it was £1,000. Grrgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    No, theres got to be.
    Why? You've been watching too much American television or listening to too many urban myths. In the UK if you have a reason to carry a lot of cash you may do so, to any amount. You might need to prove where you got it from if you are stopped and searched by police and they test it for drug residue, though, so new notes are obviously safer in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    My dad carried round £4000 in his pocket once. No police action was taken :P

ReputationRep:
    When I'm going to school I never carry money with me but if I'm out with my friends I never have less than £10 unless I spend it.

I don't go to many places to be honest.

Bus fare, into to town, something to eat and just 'hang'.

ReputationRep:
    i've had a good few thousand in my pocket before without thinking about it, after my 18th birthday when i went to look at a car i was going to buy and then i went shoppinggg
    that was a good day
    but normally i have about £5 in coins which i make sure i dont spend for when i go up the bfs, for parking and otherwise i just use my bank cards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    No, theres got to be. I watched it on the T.V once. Thats why I asked, I just forgot. I think it was £1,000. Grrgh.
    So you can never take over a grand out in cash from a bank? really?

Why did they let me take 17k out then?

ReputationRep:
    tend to carry around about £10

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.