Turn on thread page Beta

what's the maximum cash you can carry around on you? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Does it matter if your employed or unemployed? If so, what is the bare minimum for each?

Also, if you where carrying around just under that, and the police stopped you, what rights do you have? etc etc.

Thanks!
    Well either way, employed or unemployed. Police stops you, you have to pay a FIXED fine. No sympathy goes to unemployed people because why should they? I mean if police stopped you for a reason, you must have done or planning to do something wrong. Course Stop and Search shouldn't be too much of a problem if you got nothing to hide.

As for unable to pay, well i would assume, you will get a letter to pay for FINE within a date required, if not, well...your looking for COURT and a record.

Whats the bare minimum? Heck, you should be asking the police department regarding this question, not TSR.

Afterall, they have your identity and will keep in touch. No one carries £1000, well majority of middle citizens do not or else they will start to cast suspicious, e.g. buying drugs? Either way, they will write a letter
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I tend to have about 20/30 at any one time, not that I need to but I just cba to take out money all the time.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of money isn't the problem, its how the money is stored. eg, in a wallet it is fine, but if it is rolled up in an elastic band then that is just trouble waiting to happen.

I tend to carry just some small coin change. If it annoys muggers then I guess I am screwed.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that some people thinking carrying around large sums of cash implies criminal guilt. What next, carrying too much paracetamol means you're trying to kill yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you should be able to carry any amount... as long you have a decent reason to carry it??

:-)

ReputationRep:
    I only carry the cash I'll need for the day, which 5 days of 7, is £3.10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    I can't believe that some people thinking carrying around large sums of cash implies criminal guilt. What next, carrying too much paracetamol means you're trying to kill yourself?
    You're already stopped from buying too much paracetamol because it implies you want to kill yourself. It's started already! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I did hear once that if you are stopped by the police, and you don't have enough money to get home you are technically a vagrant. Something to do with the vagrancy act of whenever... I dunno. Can't be bothered looking it up I'm late for a train!

ReputationRep:
    we have cash- machine everywhere in the uk...... there is no need to carry big cash. I think a few hundreds will be OK but IF U carry more that then the police have the rights to ask where te money came from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie!)
    I did hear once that if you are stopped by the police, and you don't have enough money to get home you are technically a vagrant. Something to do with the vagrancy act of whenever... I dunno.
    Another urban myth. The act allows those wandering without visible means of subsistence, and not giving a good account of themselves, to be arrested but this does not mean you have to carry cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Another urban myth. The act allows those wandering without visible means of subsistence, and not giving a good account of themselves, to be arrested but this does not mean you have to carry cash.
    I seem to recall that is the case in Switzerland, however. Might just be another urban myth too... albeit an exotic foreign one.

(Original post by Fusion)
    FACT: Peter Stringfellow carries £200 cash around with him
    Hmm... I'm mentally planning the mugging already.

ReputationRep:
    How much you can carry? Depends on how fit you are and if you've got a backpack or something to carry it.

ReputationRep:
    I had to take around £10,000 in cash to the bank at work. Not a nice feeling! haha

ReputationRep:
    In 50£ notes. If one note weighs about a gram, depending on how fit you are, you could carry probably up to 2.5 million pounds (50 kilos). Don't know though, the volume might be too big to carry.

ReputationRep:
    There IS a limit, well if you carry over a certain ammount the police can stop you, and you have to be able to prove it came from legitimate means. if not they can seize it

I think the limit is circa £800

ReputationRep:
    Well loads of people carry a large amount of cash, like from one bank to another to pay money into their accounts. Also, a lot of people who withdraw money from the Post Office (where I work) regularly withdraw £200+ each week of their entire benefits. I get more suspicious when they're very scruffy looking, generally dirty and smell quite bad, intent on getting their £3.17 out of their account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Does it matter if your employed or unemployed? If so, what is the bare minimum for each?

Also, if you where carrying around just under that, and the police stopped you, what rights do you have? etc etc.

Thanks!
    In my day to day when carrying a wallet I usually have around £200.

On a night out I leave the wallet at home and use a money clip with around a thousand clamped.

ReputationRep:
    £20-£30 for the main reason I am trying to look good to the bank and increase my credit rating if I ever need be so dont carry huge amounts around.

ReputationRep:
    In my last flat my landlord wanted paid in cash, 3 months at a time so I had to draw out £1040 and get the bus home with it. I wasn't comfortable walking round with that amount though. Can they just bring you in for questioning if you 'look suspicious' though? I mean if you are stopped and they find it and they have no proof or other reason to question you?

ReputationRep:
    When with drawing large sums of money from a bank or depositing it, they bank staff can legally ask you how you came onto such a large sum of money, but you have no legal obligation to tell them.

If you are stopped by the police in posession of a large sum of money and they believe it to be proceeds of criminal activity they may be able to get a warrent to look into your financial dealings etc. Just like when they search houses and find bundles of money it arrouses suspicion.

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.