Turn on thread page Beta

How do I know if I am insulin-resistant? watch

ReputationRep:
    I read about insulin resistant recently and have been wondering ever since if I suffer from this condition. One of the symptoms is you get really irritable when they haven't had any food... and well, I do get grumpy when I am hungry. I find my mood lifts after I've eaten whereas I feel more stressed and on edge when I am functioning on an empty stomach...

What other symptoms are there and is there anybody here who really are insulin resistant?

ReputationRep:
    check your blood sugar over a sustained period of time x
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I was insulin resistant (technically still am), it then progressed into Type 2 Diabetes. Excessive thirstiness and sudden weight loss are common symptoms, along with fatigue. If you're having these then go and see your GP and arrange a blood test.

ReputationRep:
    You can go to the doctors and get some tests there
    Also, if you are overweight (and I mean like obese, not just a bit of chub) this can increase your chances? Look back at your diet, see whether it was rich in sugars/carbs ( I know it isn't a symptom but might help you think why?). Also if you've been under a lot of stress lately?
    Fatigue is probably the most common symptom. Obviously there's things like bp, but if you don't have the facilities to check it yourself that's not help without a doctor. Also getting very sleepy after a carb filled meal.
    Hope I was a little help

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.