Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that animals should suffer more than humans? At the end of day we are mammals made up of the same stuff (arteries, brain, bones) as other mammals. Ive just been reading this so thought Id make a thread http://www.peta.org/ABOUT/faq.asp

ReputationRep:
    Without reading the link (cba), my view is this:

I believe animals shouldn't be intentionally be put to harm, with the exception of medical research, where the benefits of saving human lives outweight the loss of the animal.

I'm against animal testing on cosmetics, and don't really see the point in hunting (other than some toffs to chase round a field until the cook has made afternoon tea, with plenty of scotch). But having said that I do eat meat, and wouldn't ever consider becoming veggie for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I think they shouldn't be treated like humans (typical british behavour is to use a dog as human replacment, and keep them indoors and have beds for them etc etc) but I also hate animal cruelty. So meh. I would like to own a wolf hybrid someday.

ReputationRep:
    I think saving human lives are more important then animals lives.

I support use of battery farms if it gives cheaper food

Support use of medicine on animals

Dont support use of cosmetics on animals

Do support genetic research on animals

Also I hate PETA

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy eating them...

ReputationRep:
    I am pro animal rights until such a time as someone's death or physical/medical suffering can only be prevented with an animal death/suffering, where that animal is directly involved. That does not include medical research but would mean that is someone said "shoot the dog or shoot your sister", I'd shoot the dog. Or if I was being attacked by an animal, I would kill it if I needed to.

I don't actually believe in using animals for medical research. Why? It's not the animals' business that we want to play god and I don't think we have the right to bring animals into it.

I certainly don't believe in cosmetics testing on animals, puppy/kitten/pet mills (where animals are 'factory farmed' for the pet industry), battery farming, destruction of habitats and important environmental resources for industries/homes, etc.

I also believe that pets should be cared for to a very high standard and should be properly researched before acquiring *looks at everyone with a goldfish in a bowl*

The only inconsistencies, if you will, are animal euthanasia, some forms of hunting and eating meat. The former should only be done if all practical possibilities are exhaused (i.e. terminally ill animal that is suffering or highly dangerous animal the cannot be rehomed/relocated). Hunting is acceptable meat eating is acceptable as long as the animals are treated kindly and with the greatest respect for their needs while alive, and killed in a humane manner that does not cause suffering (i.e. instant death). Unfortunately, ethical meat is pretty expensive.

Oh, and swatting mossies. You suck my blood and give me a rash, I will swat you. I justify this on the basis that it's a quick death and he was probably a happy mosquito, living a wild, natural life. It's a pathetic and hypocritical form of self defense.

Yeah, I'm getting hardline in my old age. I'm not as hardline as PETA on everything, but these days I agree with more and more that they say.

ReputationRep:
    Sort out humans first and then give animals some rights. It truly depresses me when people give massive donations to animal charities rather than human ones.

If somebody could give me one reasonable argument as to why animals should have as many rights as a human then I will gladly listen, but tbh most of the arguments are utter piffle and codswallop.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I agree with killing animals for meat (provided the killing is humane)
    I agree with testing life saving medicines on animals
    I agree with breeding endangered species in captivity

I disagree with killing animals for fur
    I disagree with testing cosmetics on animals
    I disagree with keeping animals as pets
    I disagree with keeping animals in inhumane conditions
    I disagree with exploiting animals for entertainment

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem in eating an animal so I'm not against popping a bit o' lippy on a hamster.

ReputationRep:
    IMHO, it is OK to eat meat from domesticated animals, since, right or wrong, we are at a point where those animals can never be released into the wild to survive without causing catastrophic damage to extant ecosystems. It is also OK to experiment on animals for medical purposes, but only when there is no other option, i.e. a lack of willing human volunteers.

However, I think that wild animals are currently abused to a level that can only be described as barbaric. The destruction of ecosystems for human profit [note the word profit - destroying these ecosystems is not NECESSARY for human survival], the abuse of individual wild animals and the general apathy towards animals in the wild is pretty sickening, TBH. We're better than this.

To cut it short - eat domesticated meat - OK, lab tests for medical purposes - OK, destruction of remaining wild species through human expansion - fundamentally wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'm okay with eating meat, as long as the animals aren't harmed too much in the process. I don't support the battery farming of chickens, for example.
    I'm alright with testing medicine on animals too, but absolutely not cosmetics!
    And then I disagree with the rest of the stuff, like using animals in circuses, killing them for fur, hunting them for sport, etc.

Also, PETA are terrorists

ReputationRep:
    animals deserve the same rights as humans, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    no torture, no hunting for fun, but killing them with minimal pain to eat.....

and please, do not make it sound as if we are the same as other animals.....we have a brain, we have a soul, we have a purpose in life....

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe that animals have rights, and that it is fine to use them for any purpose that one wants.

The whole concept of animal rights is ridiculous, and often only proposed by insecure, bored humans; more often than not hormonal teenage girls or childless menstrual women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    I think they shouldn't be treated like humans (typical british behavour is to use a dog as human replacment, and keep them indoors and have beds for them etc etc) but I also hate animal cruelty. So meh. I would like to own a wolf hybrid someday.
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Sort out humans first and then give animals some rights. It truly depresses me when people give massive donations to animal charities rather than human ones.
    Do you have any idea of how much suffering we cause to animals? It's genuinely horrendous.
    (Original post by meskell)

If somebody could give me one reasonable argument as to why animals should have as many rights as a human then I will gladly listen, but tbh most of the arguments are utter piffle and codswallop.
    I'd like you to respond to Singer's argument from marginal cases. Anyway,why is that you think humans have/deserve more rights than animals? What property do humans have but not animals that entails moral status? Do you not believe we have any duties to animals at all? Could we not accept that humans have more rights than animals (e.g. to vote) but still insist that the mass killing of animals for food and clothes is violating their much more important rights?

ReputationRep:
    I eat animals so anything I say is useless.

I don't posess much knowledge in this subject so I can't add anything constructive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    I'm okay with eating meat, as long as the animals aren't harmed too much in the process. I don't support the battery farming of chickens, for example.
    I'm alright with testing medicine on animals too, but absolutely not cosmetics!
    And then I disagree with the rest of the stuff, like using animals in circuses, killing them for fur, hunting them for sport, etc.

Also, PETA are terrorists
    Do you actually have any evidence for that last statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bansheeee*)
    animals deserve the same rights as humans, in my opinion.
    should we give them the vote, and lock them up for murder?

ReputationRep:
    In all cases animal testing is wrong, there are computer simulation programs that are believed to be more accurate than animal testing.

Hunting is wrong.

All farming of animals is wrong, regardless of the conditions they are kept in.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.