The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tomheppy
Do you actually have any evidence for that last statement?

Actually he's right.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/h/2339-peta-and-terrorism-the-real-deal

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/emergingissues/downloads/2animalw.pdf (official us government source)

http://www.infowars.com/u-s-department-of-agriculture-labels-peta-a-terrorist-group/

I don't think animals should be put through UNNECESSARY pain. I classify medical research as necessary but cosmetic research not necessary. I don't care much for hunting for fun although for food is fine.

I eat meat, it tastes good and has many nutritional benefits. Vegetarian replacements aren't sufficient.

Don't get me started on veganism. Unless you live in a vacuum you're killing organisms all the time just by moving, breathing and cleaning.

I don't agree with killing endangered animals for their fur. Common animals I have no issue with, especially pests which happen to be particularly soft and furry. I don't get why anyone would have an issue with common domesticated pets as long as the conditions aren't cramped they are domesticated and NEED us to survive. Exploiting animals for fun though I don't agree with.
Michelin Man
Actually he's right.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/h/2339-peta-and-terrorism-the-real-deal

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/emergingissues/downloads/2animalw.pdf (official us government source)

http://www.infowars.com/u-s-department-of-agriculture-labels-peta-a-terrorist-group/

I don't think animals should be put through UNNECESSARY pain. I classify medical research as necessary but cosmetic research not necessary. I don't care much for hunting for fun although for food is fine.

I eat meat, it tastes good and has many nutritional benefits. Vegetarian replacements aren't sufficient.

Don't get me started on veganism. Unless you live in a vacuum you're killing organisms all the time just by moving, breathing and cleaning.

I don't agree with killing endangered animals for their fur. Common animals I have no issue with, especially pests which happen to be particularly soft and furry. I don't get why anyone would have an issue with common domesticated pets as long as the conditions aren't cramped they are domesticated and NEED us to survive. Exploiting animals for fun though I don't agree with.

You cite Consumer freedom people and US government as credible sources? Seriously?
DaveSmith99
In all cases animal testing is wrong, there are computer simulation programs that are believed to be more accurate than animal testing.

Hunting is wrong.

All farming of animals is wrong, regardless of the conditions they are kept in.

HAHAHA!

I'm sorry but that is tinpot science. No computer programme can simulate biology 100% accurately. The whole point is that biological molecules are unpredictable.

Trust me I work with simulations all the time in engineering. Physics is the most predictable science as it is based on equations and fact yet we still can't get simulation 100%. I work in car crash testing and we always run simulations before the actual crash and it is rarely exactly the same. It just can't be done.

Hunting for FUN is wrong but what about aboriginal hunter gatherer tribes? How do you expect them to live?

Explain why farming is wrong. As long as the treatment is humane where is the problem?

Are we going to feed 6.8 billion people on soy beans?
I believe that humans should not exploit animals other than for necessities that we do not have the technological or physical ability to replace with a substitute. No one needs to eat meat to survive, no one needs leather to survive, no one needs non-vegan wine/beer to survive, no one needs gelatine to survive.

There is simply no moral argument that anyone can give as to what the distinction between animals and humans is that makes it right to give ourselves rights but to give them none.

And no one who isn't willing to at least cut down on their meat input has any authority to preach about reducing energy consumption to tackle climate change.
Also medical testing on animals isnt just giving them a pill everyday and watching what happens. It involves immense suffering.

Take for example the monkeys who went through medical procedures that made them view their limbs as foreign objects and bite them off http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spring_monkeys.

Or how about the monkey that was bred into captivity, had its eyelids shown shut and had a sonar device put on its head for three years, after which he would be killed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britches_%28monkey%29
tomheppy
You cite Consumer freedom people and US government as credible sources? Seriously?

Fair enough consumer freedom is a bit of a joke but I was just making a point.

If the government of america can't decide who is an internal terrorist threat then who does?

PETA have ritually committed vandalism, arson and harrassment of people. If they were protesting peacefully it would be acceptable but to cause acutual physical damage isn't.
Reply 26
aaran-j
I agree with killing animals for meat (provided the killing is humane)
I agree with testing life saving medicines on animals
I agree with breeding endangered species in captivity

I disagree with killing animals for fur
I disagree with testing cosmetics on animals
I disagree with keeping animals as pets
I disagree with keeping animals in inhumane conditions
I disagree with exploiting animals for entertainment

this is my opinion
Michelin Man
HAHAHA!

I'm sorry but that is tinpot science. No computer programme can simulate biology 100% accurately. The whole point is that biological molecules are unpredictable.

Trust me I work with simulations all the time in engineering. Physics is the most predictable science as it is based on equations and fact yet we still can't get simulation 100%. I work in car crash testing and we always run simulations before the actual crash and it is rarely exactly the same. It just can't be done.

Hunting for FUN is wrong but what about aboriginal hunter gatherer tribes? How do you expect them to live?

Explain why farming is wrong. As long as the treatment is humane where is the problem?

Firstly, we could feed more people if everyone was willing to not eat meat. Shorter food chain => less energy loss => more people can gain the same required amount of energy per unit land.

Also, thank God animal testing is foolproof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGN1412#Clinical_trials

I would rather they just tested on the worst criminals. At least they're not innocent.

I also absolutely disagree with all the animals chained up in universities for students to 'learn' from.
Michelin Man
HAHAHA!

I am not a scientist and I have not looked into it in too much detail, but there was an episode of newsnight with a number of biologists who claimed that there were more accurate computer programs.

Actually if you look into it the world were not to grow food to feed animals and instead grew food for human consumption then the output of totall food would be mich higher and there would be enough to feed the whole world.
DaveSmith99
Also medical testing on animals isnt just giving them a pill everyday and watching what happens. It involves immense suffering.

Take for example the monkeys who went through medical procedures that made them view their limbs as foreign objects and bite them off http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spring_monkeys.

Or how about the monkey that was bred into captivity, had its eyelids shown shut and had a sonar device put on its head for three years, after which he would be killed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britches_%28monkey%29

I'm not advocating inhumane medical research but surely if a prevention of killer diseases can be found it's worth it. Tests on monkeys are now mostly banned but are you seriously saying you wouldn't do a test on a rat if it saved lives?

paddyman4
I believe that humans should not exploit animals other than for necessities that we do not have the technological or physical ability to replace with a substitute. No one needs to eat meat to survive, no one needs leather to survive, no one needs non-vegan wine/beer to survive, no one needs gelatine to survive.

There is simply no moral argument that anyone can give as to what the distinction between animals and humans is that makes it right to give ourselves rights but to give them none.

And no one who isn't willing to at least cut down on their meat input has any authority to preach about reducing energy consumption to tackle climate change.

And how do you think we got most of these? Most would have involved some kind of animal research at some point.

Ok say we take your point and EVERYBODY stops eating meat. What about all the carnivorous animals in the wild? Are you going to persuade them to stop eating meat? Of course not! They need meat to survive because it's healthier for them. Ask any sane dietician and they will assure you that there are some things that simply cannot be replaced.
Humans are equal to animals. Therefore using them, eating them, wearing them etc for our own personal benefit is wrong. -IMO of course :smile:
I don't see why it's so hard to treat aninmals well.

It's not hard to treat an animal right or well. Only idiots can't comprehend that.
DaveSmith99
I am not a scientist and I have not looked into it in too much detail, but there was an episode of newsnight with a number of biologists who claimed that there were more accurate computer programs.

Actually if you look into it the world were not to grow food to feed animals and instead grew food for human consumption then the output of totall food would be mich higher and there would be enough to feed the whole world.

Oh dear god. Even if there is a simulation you STILL need to do real testing to verify the simulation. You wouldn't give a whole nation a vaccine on the results of a simulation. We do numerous simulations which suggest the car is safe but once physically tested there can be an error. It's impossible to take into account everything because simulations are programmes wrote by people who make human error.

There might be enough food to feed the whole world but it wouldn't get distributed evenly in the same way wealth isn't distributed evenly. The world isn't communist, it will never happen.
paddyman4
Firstly, we could feed more people if everyone was willing to not eat meat. Shorter food chain => less energy loss => more people can gain the same required amount of energy per unit land.

Also, thank God animal testing is foolproof.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGN1412#Clinical_trials

I would rather they just tested on the worst criminals. At least they're not innocent.

I also absolutely disagree with all the animals chained up in universities for students to 'learn' from.

Erm no because just because we don't eat the animals doesn't mean they won't still be there consuming energy.

You've just voided your entire argument by saying you'd test on criminals. However bad they are they're still living "animals". Will you be testing on a lion because it caused pain to a zebra?
Right by the burger van.
Michelin Man
Oh dear god. Even if there is a simulation you STILL need to do real testing to verify the simulation. You wouldn't give a whole nation a vaccine on the results of a simulation. We do numerous simulations which suggest the car is safe but once physically tested there can be an error. It's impossible to take into account everything because simulations are programmes wrote by people who make human error.

There might be enough food to feed the whole world but it wouldn't get distributed evenly in the same way wealth isn't distributed evenly. The world isn't communist, it will never happen.

Then the vaccine would be tested on a small sample of volunteers, again I am no scientist.

You are the one who bought up the argument about feeding the world, the food would most likely be distributed no more evenly or unevenly than it is at the moment so whats your point?:confused: Also I am fully aware that the world is not communist and have no desire for it to be.
I am for animal rights but I don't think we should stop eating meat.
thunder_chunky
I am for animal rights but I don't think we should stop eating meat.

As I've argued before this is a perfectly compatible position. You are not violating any rights by eating meats,only the farmer/slaughterer is. Thus not eating meat is forbidden not on a deontic but utilitarian basis.
Hunting for food is fine because we get nutritional value out of it. As you mention in the western world it is very rare to manually hunt (i.e. to get a gun and kill your own lunch). If you do this it is fine because you are doing it to sustain your diet. Nobody has answered why it is fine for an animal to cause pain to another animal (to eat) but not for a human. I thought we're all equal.

If I was marooned on a desert island with nothing else to eat but another human, I wouldn't even think twice about it because you need to eat to survive. As it is there are plenty of other sources of meat so we don't need to kill other humans but if there wasn't i'm sure it would happen. I can't survive without meat. No amount of vegetables can provide me with enough nutrition for me to be completely healthy. There will always be some kind of defiency.
no they shouldnt suffer more, they should suffer less because lets face it, humans are whats wrong with this world, they cause everything that goes wrong with it

Latest

Trending

Trending