Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend refuses to phone me Watch

My boyfriend of two years says he feels uncomfortable talking to me on the phone, and said he wants to do it as little as possible. Is this normal?

(Bumped as this took a while to approve)

ReputationRep:
    err thats a bit strange.
    did you used to talk on the phone alot?

and i personally cant hold long conversations with people on the phone unless they're immediate family, really old friends, or a girlfriend.
    he may just have a problem with being on the phone :/. i'd personally ignore his wishes and phone him up lots until he just gets used to it

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? When I was younger I used to get really nervous about phoning people and I know plenty of my friends felt the same.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    (Bumped as this took a while to approve)
    Is there a reason some of these things take a while to approve? Or is it just that noone is around to approve them. I wonder because I have seen a few of them that seem relatively uncomplex.

ReputationRep:
    I hate talking on the phone, a quick chat to make sure everythings okay or exchange information but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend of two years says he feels uncomfortable talking to me on the phone, and said he wants to do it as little as possible. Is this normal?

I hate talking on the phone to anyone, I think most guys just do it to please their girlfriends.

I know a few people who hate phone calls.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem with talking on the phone. The only problem with me is that I live in a house where my voice travels quite far, so people can hear, which isn't good if I'm having a private conversation...

ReputationRep:
    I dont like talking on the phone either really. And I've known my other half for four years!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds normal enough, I don't majorly like it and I know my boyfriend doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    I like a good phone conversation, as do a lot of people, so it can be hard to imagine how others don't. In all honesty, if he really hates talking on the phone then you can't force him - but he should at least appreciate how much it means to you that the two of you communicate in some way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like talking on the phone much either. Me and my bf don't speak on the phone very much at all but we txt a lot. Doesn't bother me too much, but every now and then I like to hear his voice

ReputationRep:
    Do you actually have much to talk about? And do you talk on the phone often? Like are you long distance or something?

ReputationRep:
    Most people I know like phone calls to be brief and to the point, the people I know like the OP that want them all the time just seem to want to talk about pointless gossip... It's annoying, stuff like that is fine in person when you can see them and there's the whole world around you but on the phone it's just boring.

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone here stuggle to speak in real life? No you say? So why're you afraid of using a phone? Will someone kill you?

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he's like me and finds talking on the phone a bit artificial and formal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    How old are you? When I was younger I used to get really nervous about phoning people and I know plenty of my friends felt the same.

yeah but that shouldnt be the case for a GF of 2 years :s:

i know what u mean though lol........if i have to ring a stranger i get mega nerves lol

ReputationRep:
    I never talk to my gf of 3 years on the phone, I hate it, especially as girls usually like to go on for up to an hour about nothing.

Also when on the phone it leaves you with little chance to do anything else, which is why I prefer to text unless its a 5min conversation.

ReputationRep:
    I hate using phones and avoid them at all costs so much so that me and my girlfriend of one and a half years have only ever spoken on the phone twice. Perhaps your boyfriend just hates using the phone?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.