Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

JSA help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had a job for a year at a shop and I started uni in September. The shop was giving me more hours than i was contracted for and i tried for months to get them to reduce them to what suited me. After trying hard with them, I eventually left in December. I was still at uni at this stage but left in January as I realised I was in the wrong course and this was not the career for me even though I thought it was my whole life.

I have been searching for work everyday but nothing at the minute.
    I am looking to sign on to JSA until something comes along but how does it work if I left work voluntarily?

Does anyone know a good reason to give them to avoid problems.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter, you can still get it. Obviously don't say 'oh I left my job' and be blasé about it but there should be no problems.

All you have to say is I left university because of extentuating circumstances and I now need to find a job that'll hold me in good stead for a career (even if this isn't true), they don't really interrogate you much when your register.

ReputationRep:
    That's really helpful. Thanks

I hope you're right!

ReputationRep:
    Since you have to give details of your previous job, you may have to tell them why it ended. I actually had a look at the form for that quickly today but can't really remember much of what was on it.

Basically though if you leave a job for certain reasons, it can impact your claim, but I'm pretty sure leaving voluntarily is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's fine, as long as you tell them that you are looking for work, they can help you. A lot of people come into the job centre leaving their jobs voluntarily, the staff are trained to help empathise with you

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.