Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How long did it take you to get used your new car? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

I recently passed my driving test yey

BUT I am having some issues with my new car, I learned how to drive in a Ford focus my current car is slightly smaller and everything feels so different. Is weird but is like I forgot how to drive, so not used to this.

I am actually thinking of paying my instructor to give me an hour lesson in my new car, my dad tried went terribly wrong!

How long did it take you guys to get used to your new car?
    Also how does it feel driving alone for the first time?

ReputationRep:
    It took me a while to adjust to my car. 1.6 diesel to a 1.0 petrol is a bit of a jump

Just be patient and get as much practice as you can!

ReputationRep:
    Took me a week or so to fully adjust. Then again, I was going from a Corsa to a Range Rover. It always takes a few days to fully familiarise yourself with a new car.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying.

Synch did you drive your Range Rover alone or did you have someone sitting next to you? Quite a powerful car!

Laura I can be quite patient but my dad shouted at me as soon as I started the engine (for starting to hard) I then knew it wouldnt work out well with him sitting next to me. Lets just say my confidence has been knocked down. But thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ladan*)
    Thanks for replying.

Synch did you drive your Range Rover alone or did you have someone sitting next to you? Quite a powerful car!

Laura I can be quite patient but my dad shouted at me as soon as I started the engine (for starting to hard) I then knew it wouldnt work out well with him sitting next to me. Lets just say my confidence has been knocked down. But thanks anyways
    My mum came with me the first time out, but only because we were popping down the shops. After that I just went out alone. You'll adapt pretty quickly.

I'd recommend just going out on your own - having somebody right next to you when you've just passed, puts on a load of unnecessary pressure. You feel they're judging your every move. Just take your car out on your own, when the roads are quiet and you'll soon get a feel for it.

ReputationRep:
    I get in the car, make sure i'm sitting comfortably, find the biting point, test the braking ability, test the grip levels while cornering.. sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    My mum came with me the first time out, but only because we were popping down the shops. After that I just went out alone. You'll adapt pretty quickly.

I'd recommend just going out on your own - having somebody right next to you when you've just passed, puts on a load of unnecessary pressure. You feel they're judging your every move. Just take your car out on your own, when the roads are quiet and you'll soon get a feel for it.
    Thanks, thats exactly what I was thinking. I did feel and was judged by my dad anyways I learned my lesson. I am going to first have a lesson with my old instructor since he said it be free, then I will start driving on my own when is quiet.

ReputationRep:
    Me learning in 3.2 litre chevy, then switching over to a 1.2 2007 corsa was the strangest thing ever. At first my foot kept slipping of the clutch way to slow chocking the car, then it felt like it had wings! nippy little thing.

ReputationRep:
    I've been driving several very, very different cars on the road from the day I was 17 and as a result, I've never really taken any time whatsoever to adjust from one to another. Have always just jumped in and been straight off, no problems.

That said, I just got myself a Honda Civic and, bizarrely, have found that the most difficult to adjust to out of anything I drive. Journey to the village and back and I was sorted, though.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I went from my instructor's 1.5 diesel to my mum's 1.2 petrol. Not quite as big a jump as many on here, but it was big for me nonetheless since that was the first time I had ever driven a petrol. Stalling was a large concern, since it was almost impossible to stall in my instructor's car.

You'll get used to it soon enough, those that have just past their tests. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    took me a day to go from a 1.1 petrol to a 1.5 diesal but i did drive to scotland in that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurah5498)
    It took me a while to adjust to my car. 1.6 diesel to a 1.0 petrol is a bit of a jump

Just be patient and get as much practice as you can!
    I learnt to drive in a Peugeot 306 1.8 and went down to a Punto 1.2, so depressing

ReputationRep:
    It took me a little while to get used to driving because my first car had a dodgy clutch and i was used to pulling away with little acceleration. my car also spent 3 weeks in the garage after i passed my test and it took me a few longish journeys to get used to driving alone. however, i have just picked up a new car on saturday and im used to drivng that already. practice makes perfect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ladan*)
    Thanks, thats exactly what I was thinking. I did feel and was judged by my dad anyways I learned my lesson. I am going to first have a lesson with my old instructor since he said it be free, then I will start driving on my own when is quiet.
    I learned in a 2.2tdi civic, the new shape, and a 1.6 focus
    and i bought myself a 1.2 corsa c
    its like half the size and alot less powerful but after a few days of driving you wont even realise the difference, I'm so used to my car that I got back into my dad's civic the other day and was like a complete learner and stalled all over the place, you start to be so used to your car that itll be the norm

ReputationRep:
    Still having issues with my Fiesta, got it about 2 weeks ago.

I learnt in a Fiesta, a 2 yr old one and the same engine size - 1.4L, so obviously thats fine because I'd never driven anything before. Then got insurance on my mums 2 yr old 1.4L Skoda Fabia, no issues there.
    Now I've got my 8 yr old Fiesta, also 1.4L, I'm having lots of problems, stalling a lot more than I did in the Fabia, just because the engine is older and the clutch is more worn and it just requires that much better driving to drive smoothly. It also plays up when it's been left out in the cold for any period of time - stalled going round a corner at 25 mph in 3rd gear the other morning, when I've always got away with doing this before

Advice to you is to take things slowly for a while, and drive as gently as possible until you feel more comfortable in the car.
    And yep, go for the extra lesson, excellent idea.

ReputationRep:
    I was lucky as I had bought the car whilst I was still learning and was using both mine and the instructors car.

ReputationRep:
    Well done and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    its took me seconds tbh, I drove my home down the motorway the day I got it, its a 1 litre

ReputationRep:
    To go from 1.0 petrol to 1.9 diesel - piece of cake. 5 mins tops!

ReputationRep:
    the fact that you got a new car and you just passed, its normal. Driving on your own no one telling you what to do and a car that feels very different is kinds "OMG" Just drive round the roads in your house for like half an hour and you should be fine

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.