Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long did it take you to get used your new car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just got a new one and it sounds like a tin can compared the nice one I was driving before :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Ladan*)
    Thanks for replying.

Synch did you drive your Range Rover alone or did you have someone sitting next to you? Quite a powerful car!

Laura I can be quite patient but my dad shouted at me as soon as I started the engine (for starting to hard) I then knew it wouldnt work out well with him sitting next to me. Lets just say my confidence has been knocked down. But thanks anyways
    The first car I had after passing my test was a Mondeo...I drove it alone my first time out (and on the motorway!). Took a few days to get used to it though.

When I bought the Audi I now drive, it took a week or so to get used to that as well (big difference in power and handling).

It just takes time and practice - you'll get there!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

I recently passed my driving test yey

BUT I am having some issues with my new car, I learned how to drive in a Ford focus my current car is slightly smaller and everything feels so different. Is weird but is like I forgot how to drive, so not used to this.

I am actually thinking of paying my instructor to give me an hour lesson in my new car, my dad tried went terribly wrong!

How long did it take you guys to get used to your new car?
    Also how does it feel driving alone for the first time?

Mine was easy as i learned in a peugeot 206 and had a 106 so just missing the gadgets but if youre that uncomfortable pay the small price of one lesson and get piece of mind.

ReputationRep:
    When I bought my first car it didn't take any getting used to at all. MG ZS -> Ford Puma was a huge upgrade when it came to handling. It was so much stiffer through and through. So I guess it depends on the car change. You just have to give it time and get used to the different feel of the steering and pedals. It'll come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muckie)
    took me a day to go from a 1.1 petrol to a 1.5 diesal but i did drive to scotland in that day.
    Unless the diesel was a turbo, it would have made precisely no difference? Non?

ReputationRep:
    About 10 seconds to get used to the bite point and about 30 minutes to get used to where the power band was and revving it a fair amount higher (moved from my instructor's 2.0 diesel to my 1.6 petrol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CMJBGBWC)
    Unless the diesel was a turbo, it would have made precisely no difference? Non?
    yer it was a turbo.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    <Swiss Toni> Well you know Ladan, learning to drive a new car I a lot like making love to a beautiful woman...
    </Swiss Toni> (Let’s hope at least some of you are old enough and/or cultured enough to get that reference :p:)

I’ve never had much problem driving unusual cars unless they have non-conventional controls, that said I don’t drive many Citroens either.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

I recently passed my driving test yey

BUT I am having some issues with my new car, I learned how to drive in a Ford focus my current car is slightly smaller and everything feels so different. Is weird but is like I forgot how to drive, so not used to this.

I am actually thinking of paying my instructor to give me an hour lesson in my new car, my dad tried went terribly wrong!

funnily enough i got a ford focus as my first car, and I found it so easy to drive within a day or so. Thing about the focus, fiesta etc theyre amazing to drive and theyre so easy that it probably takes time to get used to something else! Ultimately it depends on the car - some cars have heavy/light clutches, and heavy/light brakes. Just chill and youll eventually get used to your car.

Anyways congrats on passing, what car you driving the now?

ReputationRep:
    I learn in a Corsa but am insured on my Polo so i go out in it every day, so when i pass i will have already adjusted to it. It's the best way because the cars are so different!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently having problems I have only ever drove a fiesta 1.6 diesel and have gone to a Nissan qashqai 1.5 diesel I'm really struggling with it so you have any useful tips as you went through a similar thing? X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.