Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Say if you applied to live in halls, accepted the offer 3 months before starting the course..and then changed your mind and decided you wanted to commute would they let you cancel it and give you your deposit back? Or would they demand the money?

ReputationRep:
    deposits are often non-refundable, that's their purpose

ReputationRep:
    If my halls have taught me anything, it's that whoever runs the halls are greedy people. They'll probably make you pay the fees of the person who takes your room while he pays his fees on top.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it's refundable.

Only thing, does anyone know if the distance selling cooling-off period apply to deposits?

ReputationRep:
    its worth phoning up and checking. i would never ever want to commute unless i really had to though

ReputationRep:
    I have no experience of deposits on halls, but deposits in general are usually non-refundable. However, there's no harm in asking, and being this far in advance you might stand more chance than two days before moving in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I have no experience of deposits on halls, but deposits in general are usually non-refundable. However, there's no harm in asking, and being this far in advance you might stand more chance than two days before moving in.
    I dont just mean the deposit I mean the accomadation fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio~)
    I dont just mean the deposit I mean the accomadation fees.
    I don't know about accommodation fees, but again I imagine it's much easier for them to refill the room at this stage than it is in September.

Really, the only person who can give you a definitive answer is someone in the accommodation office of your university, so phone them up tomorrow and ask them is the best advice I can give.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.