Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    nobodys can say way went on or what is going to happen and so are we the only life in the universe? who knows! life is a mystery and I feel this question will never be answered, well not in mine or your life times

ReputationRep:
    this is a interesting thread. I have always personally believed that there is life on other planets. I dont see why there shouldn't be. I think the reason we have not received contact is due to the distance thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamsFanNo1)
    nobodys can say way went on or what is going to happen and so are we the only life in the universe? who knows! life is a mystery and I feel this question will never be answered, well not in mine or your life times
    I'm pretty certain you'll be proven wrong there!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Well he's got to start getting scientific information from someone other than Islamic clerics at some stage and an encyclopaedia article is as good a place to start as any until Billy Blue Hat's Book of Scienceis published.
    Hands down Touche!

Although that said Bill Bryson - A Short History of Nearly Everything, is probably the best starting point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    They'd have to find us first. We've not even been able to detect a planet other than our own that we can be certain has the right conditions to sustain life, let alone one where there actually is any. The likelyhood of having other life in the universe is high, but for them to have developed enough technology and spent long enough time searching to find us is pretty unlikely.
    Well, they could have been searching for life since millions of years ago. Earth is a very relatively new planet.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3746583.stm

the possibility of life in the clouds of venus

has been ongoing for a while, dont see why not

ReputationRep:
    To think we are the only planet in the universe that can sustain life is moronic in my opinion. How many stars are out there? And how many probable planets? By extension to assume that we are the most advanced is equally moronic. It is far more probable that there are a multitude of alien civilization which have evolved far beyond our comprehension.

I think aliens exist, and I also think they have visited us in the past... and could still be here now! Who knows... It's certainly not unlikely. Just because we haven't learned a way to travel beyond the speed of light does not mean it is impossible. Maybe alien craft really can fold space around them? And pop in and out of our dimension creating wormholes across space and thus transversing massive distances instantaneously? Might sound like the stuff out of a Sci-fi film... but keep an open mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...st-claims.html

We are the aliens...
    Good article! I remember reading an article ages ago about amino acids were deposited from a comet that crashed into earth and then I read another article not long ago about the possibilty of life on Jupiters moon Europa since there is evidence that suggests there is water and biologogical fuels which could be producing organic forms! I forget the details of the article but it was pretty interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tangerine Dream)
    I think aliens exist, and I also think they have visited us in the past... and could still be here now! Who knows... It's certainly not unlikely. Just because we haven't learned a way to travel beyond the speed of light does not mean it is impossible. Maybe alien craft really can fold space around them? And pop in and out of our dimension creating wormholes across space and thus transversing massive distances instantaneously? Might sound like the stuff out of a Sci-fi film... but keep an open mind
    It is. We'll never travel at the speed of light. It requires far too much energy to get that fast. The bending the Universe idea, now that I can go for.

ReputationRep:
    Some probably assume it because no one has come across intelligent life outside of Earth (astronauts in the space station don't count!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    With regards to the thread title/question... Well, we don't really have any proof for it? That's about all that needs to be said.

Most of your points only really make any sense if the life you're talking about is like us. I think that statistically the chances of us being alone in the universe are tiny, I also think that if we do find life (as it's almost definitely going to have to be in the Solar System, we've got too much serious business killing each other and that crap to make real progress towards extrasolar exploration) it will be microscopic.

There's that and life on Earth is what it is because it evolved here, unless another planet (who's to say that all life has to exist on planetoids anyway?) is ridiculously similar to Earth it seems silly to assume life will have evolved there to be anything like it is here.

The article on the building blocks for Earth life coming from a meteorite/s is pretty interesting and not really amazingly surprising I guess, I thought planets like Earth were basically formed by rocks being thrown into each other and I'm sure I heard that bacteria or something found on the remains of space shuttle Columbia having survived exposure to space + reentry.

edit: luls at ensuing science vs creationism debate. Creationists believe something absurd because they've been told it, science is looking for answers that it will most likely find in time. Can't we just leave it at that?
    luls at your edit. Did you really develop the theory of evolution for yourself? Or did you just believe it because you've been told it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamsFanNo1)
    Not with that attitude it won't be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Its a logical fallacy but it provides comfort, purpose and hope for the masses.

Why else do you think religions still exist?
    I totally agree with you. I wanted to see if he had a theory for that too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    luls at your edit. Did you really develop the theory of evolution for yourself? Or did you just believe it because you've been told it?
    No he believes it as he has considered the evidence and then made the logical connection that it was correct.

Not the other way round, Have an answer to start with then find evidence which supports it.

There is a difference. Also if you gave anyone the evidence and told them to make conclusions and predictions they would themselves come up with what Darwin did.

Its inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is life on other planets, certainly not anything we can contact.

And if we do contact anything or find life it probably won't be when I'm alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Also if you gave anyone the evidence and told them to make conclusions and predictions they would themselves come up with what Darwin did.

Its inevitable.
    Whilst I admire your attempt to sound like a TSR version of Agent Smith (just kidding, it inspires nothing but contempt), you seem to be ignoring one glaring error - people DO have access to "the evidence" and DO choose not to believe it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Whilst I admire your attempt to sound like a TSR version of Agent Smith (just kidding, it inspires nothing but contempt), you seem to be ignoring one glaring error - people DO have access to "the evidence" and DO choose not to believe it.

Thanks for Playing!:clap2:

ReputationRep:
    Expected better.

ReputationRep:
    Only due to the preconceptions of a creator, put in place before the evidence was discovered.They bend the evidence to fit their theory.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Expected better.
    If you need me to qualify that, fine

I can look at lots of evidence and choose to see what i want in it.

E.g A Mother of a murderer, which DNA evidence proved him to be guilty, the mother may still choose to believe it was an error, or that her son is the 1 billionth other person with similar DNA.

This is the reason empirical evidence is peer reviewed and checked over and over to confirm.

So people can choose many things, this does not mean they are correct.

So your qualification of my response is therefore invalid as choice is not really an answer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.