Turn on thread page Beta

why some assume life only exists on earth? watch

ReputationRep:
    If Aliens could travel ftl or cover the distance using an equivalent why the hell would they want to come here? Theres not particularly much here to interest another species that couldn't be found elsewhere in the galaxy and even for the thrill of exploration depending how far away what they considered their territory was there might be at most a couple of individuals that would visit this region of space.

Also by the time humanity recieved a message in a format they could understand(i.e radio) that had been broadcasted out conventionally the species would probably have advanced well beyond the usage of radio or died out making actual communication through any means humanity has at the moment impossible. At best all would be found would be a single occurence which would be put down as a freak of nature or so damaged by background noise and interference that it didn't seem like a message.

ReputationRep:
    If there are life forms living on a tiny little planet called earth, in a massive universe. Then if think it's pretty ridiculous to not believe that there are other life forms.
    I also think that, they may not be able to contact us because they are so completely different to us. Im just being open minded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    a Creator is different than the created, a man manufacturing a mobile phone does not have the characteristics of a mobile phone in him....
    You again. *sighs*

I fail to see your point here.
    If a person designs something, that makes him the Creator, amirite?
    Yet by your "logic", you seem to think that that person himself was also created by something. So really your "A creator is different than the created" comment is contradictory, because the creator of an object was also created, in your view, by "God".

As for your second point about the man manufacturing the mobile phone: well, what you say is true, but then again, why did he make the mobile phone? For ***** and giggles?
    No, he made it because of a desire to talk to people while on the move. He was inspired by something that already existed (landline telephone), and his aspiration to create it took him further and gave him the motivation to create it.

ReputationRep:
    true, this brings us to an important point, could all of this be just random and coincidence without a creator?????
    That should probably read: does heat death, red shift, supernovas and all round destruction imply a benign creator? In which case your point would seem far more ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    If you need me to qualify that, fine

I can look at lots of evidence and choose to see what i want in it.

E.g A Mother of a murderer, which DNA evidence proved him to be guilty, the mother may still choose to believe it was an error, or that her son is the 1 billionth other person with similar DNA.

This is the reason empirical evidence is peer reviewed and checked over and over to confirm.

So people can choose many things, this does not mean they are correct.

So your qualification of my response is therefore invalid as choice is not really an answer.
    I think what's happened here is that you've tried to be smarter than you are. Either that, or you tried to set a trap for someone to fall in to and then managed to misword it but have as of yet failed to realise this.

What you mention in regards to what may be "correct" is irrelevant towards your original statement. To remind you, you claimed "anyone" would reach a given conclusion, despite just now acknowledging a persons ability to "choose" not to.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    I think what's happened here is that you've tried to be smarter than you are. Either that, or you tried to set a trap for someone to fall in to and then managed to misword it but have as of yet failed to realise this.

What you mention in regards to what may be "correct" is irrelevant towards your original statement. To remind you, you claimed "anyone" would reach a given conclusion, despite just now acknowledging a persons ability to "choose" not to.
    Reaching a Conclusion, and choosing not to believe one are two different things.

I never said that "anyone" would accept the conclusion they would just view it as an interesting pattern. When deciding what to believe they can then choose to reject it.

You misinterpreted my original statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    You again. *sighs*

I fail to see your point here.
    If a person designs something, that makes him the Creator, amirite?
    Yet by your "logic", you seem to think that that person himself was also created by something. So really your "A creator is different than the created" comment is contradictory, because the creator of an object was also created, in your view, by "God".
    not you again, *sighs*

there is only 1 creatOR everything else is creatED, when a human being designs something, he does not make it out of nothing, he can never do that.....how can a human being be compared to God???

As for your second point about the man manufacturing the mobile phone: well, what you say is true, but then again, why did he make the mobile phone? For ***** and giggles?
    No, he made it because of a desire to talk to people while on the move. He was inspired by something that already existed (landline telephone), and his aspiration to create it took him further and gave him the motivation to create it.
    why were we created? For ***** and giggles? No but for a purpose of worshippig our true Lord and do good on earth....

ReputationRep:
    I never said that "anyone" would accept the conclusion they would just view it as an interesting pattern. When deciding what to believe they can then choose to reject it.

You misinterpreted my original statement.
    Also if you gave anyone the evidence and told them to make conclusions and predictions they would themselves come up with what Darwin did.

Its inevitable.

You can see why I am going to have to maintain the argument that you're full of ****.

ReputationRep:
    I like to think its exactly how Assassins Creed 2 ended.

It's either that, or evolution.

Creationism will not fly here. It's hard for me to believe in anything that has no tangible proof attached to it, whereas science has proved more than any religion has done in of where we have come from and what the basis of life is. Unless, like the AC2 story, its one massive cover up. Though that's wishful thinking for conspiracy theory freaks. :P

ReputationRep:
    A good place to start looking for UFOs is folklore, cave paintings, and carvings. Many of the religious Renaissance era paintings have images that look eerily similar to eyewitness account of strange crafts. Some may argue that those images are open to interpretation, and for the most part I agree with that. Still, it makes one wonder where the inspiration came from...

ReputationRep:
    Also the concept that theres a being in the sky and angels come down, is rather interesting.

ReputationRep:
    not you again, *sighs*

there is only 1 creatOR everything else is creatED, when a human being designs something, he does not make it out of nothing, he can never do that.....how can a human being be compared to God???
    Yeah, ME AGAIN!

No, there is not one creator. Never was, never will be. You assert your beliefs like they are fact and so will I.

So you are saying that "God" built the Earth out of nothing? And you are saying that that is RATIONAL?!?

why were we created? For ***** and giggles? No but for a purpose of worshippig our true Lord and do good on earth....
    Oh dear.

[/discussion]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    You can see why I am going to have to maintain the argument that you're full of ****.
    Are you ***********?

There is a difference between reaching a conclusion and accepting is as fact.

Jeez, learn to read.

ReputationRep:
    Are you ***********?

There is a difference between reaching a conclusion and accepting is as fact.

Jeez, learn to read.
    Are you always this upset when you're wrong? You didn't mention "facts" anywhere in the two little snippets I quoted, so it's not really a question of my reading skills. In fact, it's pretty stupid to say that anyone posting regularly on this forum does not know how to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'm pretty certain you'll be proven wrong there!
    I would love to be proven wrong, trust me when I say that. I am a very keen physicist I just am very concerned that technology will not reach the limits to properly be able to tell us if this is true or not in my lifetime (so approx. 60-70 years time). Would be amazing if it was proven though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamsFanNo1)
    I would love to be proven wrong, trust me when I say that. I am a very keen physicist I just am very concerned that technology will not reach the limits to properly be able to tell us if this is true or not in my lifetime (so approx. 60-70 years time). Would be amazing if it was proven though
    I really think that will happen. Maybe a bacterium in the next few decades. I'd be surprised if it was much more. Not the most exciting thing to find simple life in extreme situations - you just have to look at he creatures living at the bottom of the ocean by cracks in the floor which spurt molten lava for that - but it'll be an important discovery nevertheless.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, ME AGAIN!

So you are saying that "God" built the Earth out of nothing? And you are saying that that is RATIONAL?!?

[/discussion]
    yea and you believe the entire universe came into order by chance, that is rational!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    yea and you believe the entire universe came into order by chance, that is rational!!!!!
    I... never actually stated my beliefs concerning the "birth" of the world. Fail.

ReputationRep:
    I... never actually stated my beliefs concerning the "birth" of the world. Fail.
    you do not have to, it is obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tangerine Dream)
    A good place to start looking for UFOs is folklore, cave paintings, and carvings.
    Yeah, and there's Sumerian architecture that appear to resemble alien life forms.

I know footage of paranormal activity can be faked but I do wonder about footage that hasn't been explained and cleared for trickography. Some sceptics will use any old excuse even as unbelievable as some obvious hoaxes we see. Prime example would be the lighthouse excuse on Rendlesham Forest. Yes, army officers are going to be alarmed by a lighthouse light wouldn't you think they would have noticed it before? Besides, it must have been some lighthouse for its light to shine through dense woodland five miles away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTp9o3U3dJA

This is the only footage I've seen that has made me jump a bit.

Crop circles made me think about the possibility of alien life form visiting us now because they can be so complex that, if it was done by people, they should find them and get their entries into the Tate Modern because contemporary art is errr not as good. There are some good fakes though, here's one below (though I'm not totally sure either way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA9uvRUUlgY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Xx2px6u6Y

If these do exist, then they are said to live 40 light years away, which is nothing astronomically. Seen some NASA footage of Saturn and something's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGeWBiLVn8g

Spooky.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.