Turn on thread page Beta

fat, depressed and running out of options. watch

ReputationRep:
    See title really.

I weigh (hides in shame :ashamed:) 16 stone (101kilos, or 224 pounds depending on your country)

Around my top i'm about a UK size 16-20 (depends hugely on the shop and style) and legs between an 18 and 24.

However I walk (at a quick pace) around 17-22 miles a week (30-35km)

I've tried nearly every diet and healthy eating plan on the planet (atkins, Gi-Diet, Slim-fast, the nasty health food regime my doc insisted on) as well as most of what i tend to think of as 'fat clubs' (weightwatchers, cambridge diet, slimming world etc), I HATE fruit and veg, not that i haven't tried it. I couldn't eat it as a child, and now as a 24year old adult and mum of 3 little ones (who all eat fruit and veg) I still cant stand it.

Which of course puts a massive problem in the way of most diets. Most diets let you fill up on veg, salads and certain fruits. which means I last about 2-3 weeks before I'm so starving hungry i cave in and eat something horrendous.

What's so galling is before i had my lovely little-ones i was a size 6-10. and i miss it so much. :cry:

See now i sound all pathetic *takes deep breath*

Anyway I'm seriously considering getting a gastric band as I honestly cant see any way out of this now, and after 7 years I am so miserable and fed-up of being this way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like fruit cos I hate the texture. How are you with juice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    I don't really like fruit cos I hate the texture. How are you with juice?
    I wouldnt drink too much juice if I were you. It's full of sugar and it's very easy to pile on the calories by drinking lots of juice. Shouldn't have more than 1/2 250ml glasses a day.

You dont have to eat vegetables with nothing on them you know. It seems that a lot of people who dont like vegetables dont like them because the only way they cook them is plain and boiled. Roasted carrots and butternut squash with herbs and tomato sauce with a little bit of parmesan is fantastic. I never have my vegetables plain. Also vegetable curry (no coconut or cream though) on a bed of wholemeal rice is really good. If you arent eating fruit or veg it will be way too easy to overeat and is probably why you are overweight. if you eat a lot of "white" foods, it can make it even worse. White bread and rice have hardly any fibre and that stops you from feeling as full from your food as well as there being next to no nutrients in them.
    Stir fries using black bean sauce/hoisin sauce are usually very tasty and you can incorporate noodles or rice. Just be a bit more creative with your cooking.

How do you feel about different beans and lentils? Chilli con carne with lots of kidney beans (less fatty mince meat/or use turkey mince) is filling and tastes great. Lentil curry/dahl with rice/chappatis is a really understated meal but cheap, healthy and will keep you fuller for longer.

ReputationRep:
    im not being funny but im not surprised you havnt lost weight if youve done faddy diets, atkins?? come on now, my dad did that and ended up having dizzy spells and nearly fainting twice

i dont buy into all the cambridge/weight watchers ***** and LOL @ slim fast 'diet'

my dad ended up diabetic so had to lose weight, he went from 15.5-16 stone down to about 12-12.5 but doing (guess what) a PROPER healthy diet, hell he doesnt even exercise cause he has a manual job

i suggest going to the doc and getting referred to a proper dietitian for some advice

i also suggest doing more exercise than just walking, 17-22 miles a week, how many steps a day is that? should be aiming for 12-15,000 a day for weight loss but tbh that alone isnt enough, you need to get some other cardio in there and some weights! (and no you wont end up looking like arnie if you do weights)

whats your diet like now?

ReputationRep:
    Suck it up and eat more fruit and veg. You have answered your own question as to why you're not losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if you are that desperate to lose weight, force yourself to eat them, you'll eventually not hate it so much. I'm sorry, but if you really were that desperate you'd do it. And exercise more, 2-3 miles a day isn't very far at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I wouldnt drink too much juice if I were you. It's full of sugar and it's very easy to pile on the calories by drinking lots of juice. Shouldn't have more than 1/2 250ml glasses a day.

You dont have to eat vegetables with nothing on them you know. It seems that a lot of people who dont like vegetables dont like them because the only way they cook them is plain and boiled. Roasted carrots and butternut squash with herbs and tomato sauce with a little bit of parmesan is fantastic. I never have my vegetables plain. Also vegetable curry (no coconut or cream though) on a bed of wholemeal rice is really good. If you arent eating fruit or veg it will be way too easy to overeat and is probably why you are overweight. if you eat a lot of "white" foods, it can make it even worse. White bread and rice have hardly any fibre and that stops you from feeling as full from your food as well as there being next to no nutrients in them.
    Stir fries using black bean sauce/hoisin sauce are usually very tasty and you can incorporate noodles or rice. Just be a bit more creative with your cooking.

How do you feel about different beans and lentils? Chilli con carne with lots of kidney beans (less fatty mince meat/or use turkey mince) is filling and tastes great. Lentil curry/dahl with rice/chappatis is a really understated meal but cheap, healthy and will keep you fuller for longer.
    Thank you for all the suggestions, I've been having a really rough few days (ill and quietly running myself into the ground.

Have had a long chat with my sister (who's lost 5 stone and kept it off on the cambridge) and have decided to give it another go and up my exercise.

Thank you to the others, as a heads up I'm not surprised i'm not losing weight, I am not stupid and understand that my dislike for fruit and veg is impacting on how much of everything else I eat.

I think what i really need to do is make a decision and feckin STICK TO IT.

thanks guys sorry for the moaning Woe is me.

ReputationRep:
    dont wanna ruin the thread but i dont know how to start one

well basically im at a boys school and after around year 9, your kinda set in a friend group. Well i loved my group of friends at first but then various things happened that turned them all against me... i find my self really sociable (i can talk to anyone...) however have found it extremely hard to make new friends (as there are no girls and other guys to meet)

now that 6th form has arrived most friend groups have diminished however i still find that im not liked by most people.. i find that when i do meet someone new (never happens often) i always lose them after around 6 months. i have 3 friends who i would say are close (only one tht i would actualy hang out with outside school) but there becoming boring and i find i cant find anyone new.... i just wnat to kno what to do really as its coming to the end of 6th form and i want some friends (girls and boys) who i can end it with.....

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    I didn't say anything about how much to drink. I know it's bad for you and I don't even drink it that often.

ReputationRep:
    Big girls are hot :yes:

ReputationRep:
    How are your portion sizes? When I went away to uni I put on a bit of weight, mostly through making myself humongous portions of dinner (even healthy stuff!). It was also probably due to lack of exercise, too, but I think portion size was my main issue.

ReputationRep:
    If you're finding it so hard, why don't you stop struggling and try to accept yourself for who you are? You don't have to be thin to be happy or attractive (as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder:rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    Go to the gym.

I wanted to lose weight, so I changed my diet (A lot of salad, fruit etc) but alas the weight wasn't coming off.

I joined the gym 3 weeks ago and I go three/four times a week. I've already lost weight. I hate to break it to you but the only way to do it is to work for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psylencia)
    See title really.

I weigh (hides in shame :ashamed:) 16 stone (101kilos, or 224 pounds depending on your country)

Around my top i'm about a UK size 16-20 (depends hugely on the shop and style) and legs between an 18 and 24.

I've tried nearly every diet and healthy eating plan on the planet (atkins, Gi-Diet, Slim-fast, the nasty health food regime my doc insisted on) as well as most of what i tend to think of as 'fat clubs' (weightwatchers, cambridge diet, slimming world etc), I HATE fruit and veg, not that i haven't tried it. I couldn't eat it as a child, and now as a 24year old adult and mum of 3 little ones (who all eat fruit and veg) I still cant stand it.

Which of course puts a massive problem in the way of most diets. Most diets let you fill up on veg, salads and certain fruits.which means I last about 2-3 weeks before I'm so starving hungry i cave in and eat something horrendous.

What's so galling is before i had my lovely little-ones i was a size 6-10. and i miss it so much. :cry:

Anyway I'm seriously considering getting a gastric band as I honestly cant see any way out of this now, and after 7 years I am so miserable and fed-up of being this way.
    Thats the whole point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millyshyn)
    If you're finding it so hard, why don't you stop struggling and try to accept yourself for who you are? You don't have to be thin to be happy or attractive (as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder:rolleyes: )
    No but she should lose weight to be healthy.

OP it takes some determination and motivation to lose weight. The fad diets are a bad idea. The best way is the good old exercise and healthy eating! I think you may benefit from a more structured exercise regime. Set yourself some free time in your day to exercise and stick to it. Maybe get a friend to exercise with you to give you more support and a motivation boost.

ReputationRep:
    I hate fruit. I hate how you have to cut/slice/peel loads of them, and then there not even that great. However, I got a job at a smoothie bar, and literally.. smoothies are AMAZING. You cut loadsssss of fruit up, and just fill a whole freezer drawer. Then once frozen, take out a portion of whatever fruits you like, and blend them. My favourite is, orange juice, banana and mango, and they taste AMAZING and they fill you up quick. You can do it with vegetables if you are brave enough, orange juice, carrot juice, and ginger is nice. You can also get fat burner powder to put in it which my boss claimed helps people lose weight.

It's good that you are doing so much walking, and I bet looking after your kids takes it out of you sometimes! But your not seeing results because you end up giving up and eating all the calories you burnt off. Its a matter of being disciplined, maybe getting your kids to help you out, picking their favourite fruits and vegetables and then making meals from there?

I'm struggling with my diet at the moment, I'm practically living at the library, I've had a cold where you can't taste anything recently, so I've been living out of the vending machine. But with some willpower you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    Eat a balanced diet of smaller portions served throughout the day. Excercise helps too, but only if your diet is proper.

ReputationRep:
    The angle shot as your avatar gave the impression you were fit, but on inspection of your profile your eyes are too close togther and you have a big jawline.

yet you dont even have the balls to leave your name when you rep me

LOL, ******* loser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psylencia)
    See title really.

Which of course puts a massive problem in the way of most diets. Most diets let you fill up on veg, salads and certain fruits. which means I last about 2-3 weeks before I'm so starving hungry i cave in and eat something horrendous.

It's probably your natural weight, why can't you be happy being big? :sad:

The mention of a gastric band makes me want to puke, how can a person starve and malnourish themselves like that.. :puke:

I for one love big girls and hate to hear of this sort of self-hate.

ReputationRep:
    Hey don't feel down feel positive that you want to do something.

There are so many ways of eating fruit and veg and totally transforming the taste.

Firstly have you tried roasting veg in the oven With some garlic and seasonings. They are so yummy that way.
    As for fruit smoothies are a great idea they are so filling and delicious too. One of my gave ways to eat an apple is to chop it up. Put in a bowl with sone low fat natural yoghurt and honey. Very tasty

I think you also need to do sone exercise that concentrates on your stomach area like sit ups. They work vey well for me

good luck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.