Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

fat, depressed and running out of options. watch

ReputationRep:
    You sound malnourished to me (yes i know your fat, but malnourished doesnt just mean not enough calories). If you arent eating ANY fruit or veg you will be missing out on most of the important vitamins, so you body is going to make you eat more in an effort to get them....

Id say you need to try a diet again but this time eating a lot of fruit and veg, then if that still doesnt work maybes then consider a gastric band. However if malnourishment is the underlying problem, a gastric band isnt going to help much, you will still be hungry.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go on a diet. You need a lifestyle change.

ReputationRep:
    Hold on, since when did eating fruit and veg make you loose weight? For a balanced nutritious diet yes, but loosing weight(at least at first) is just a matter of using more energy(calories) than you eat, simply by restricting your calorie intake and/or increasing your energy expenditure through exercise, but it's important to incorporate these changes into your lifestyle to keep the weight off.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    You have 3 children which puts you at an advantage in a way. Kids love exercise and they love being with mum! Make every day an exercise day. When you pick them up after school or nursery, take them to a park with a frisbee and a ball, and do an hour or so of exercise with them. This is a lifestyle change, not a gym workout which may be hard to work into your life (time and money wise). If you take an hour exercise every weekday, and do something special like swimming on Saturdays then you will notice a massive change in your weight.

Plus, think of your diet. I know you say you don't like fruit and veg, but don't just boil them, roast them, put nice healthy sauces on them, blend them into things and look up fibre rich foods which fill you up, for minimal calorie like beans. Also, start eating off a smaller plate. If you are still hungry after an hour, eat another plate, but this will halve your portion size easily. Make sure you drink a glass of water, or sugar free cordial before you eat something, and sip slowly while you are eating to help stave off hunger pangs, and let the fibre soak up the liquid making you feel full. Snack on high protein things, to avoid sugar spikes, and excess calories that lead to you putting down fat, instead of healthy lean muscle.

You needn't make this hard on your self, and don't expect too much. Don't eat anything you wouldn't be happy to give your children, and lead by their example. Lots of physical activity, and a healthy balanced diet. Allow yourself once a week your vice whether it is crisps or chocolate or desserts. Don't buy low-fat things and eat them all the time. Look forward to that one treat a week and savour it.

Make simple changes like draining the fat out of your mince (even if low fat content already) and use methods like grilling and baking. Also control the amount of processed food in your diet. If you don't have to cook it from scratch, its probably packed with things that aren't great for you. Think simple.

Do this for you, do it to be healthy and do it for your babies. You will feel fantastic that you are getting healthier (and slimmer) and you are setting a fine example to your children.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for all the help guys. I've made a decision.

Tomorrow I start on the cambridge diet again (i know i know fad diet) last time I did it I dropped for 17 and a half to 16 in about 8 weeks, and more to the point in the last 6months since i stopped it, i've only put on about 3 pounds.

So I'm having another go it, on the principal that a) its the only diet or eating regime that i've stuck to for any length of time, b) because its ALL meal replacements I wont roll in from a 14hour day (uni + travel) and then have to calorie count and worry about what I can/cant eat (and inevitably order takeaway) and c) its carefully balanced so you end up with all the vitamins and nutrients should do, So actually I'll probably be better off.

The cambridge is a relatively short-term diet which you gradually come off of, re-learning new eating habits as you do, So i have this thread bookmarked so when I am eating again all these wonderful tips will be here for me.

Regarding someone who commented on how much I walk and steps, Frankly I have no clue how many steps that is, its over the 3 days at Uni, covering 5-8 miles 3 days a week, I didn't include all the other walking to get about (my car has been off the road since October).

Weigh in is next wednesday (after my Uni interview) So I shall keep you posted.

To all those who commented about liking big girls, Thank you it is appreciated. My husband says he loves me however I am, but my weight has been impacting not just my physical appearance but my health, and thats something I know I need to sort.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: you're going around in circles by doing another fad diet.

ReputationRep:
    Dieting is a terrible way to lose weight: it's slow, difficult and unenjoyable for most people.
    Exercise is much better: it's easy to do (if you've got the will power) since you don't have to keep researching what foods you can and can't eat, it makes you feel really good (both short and long term) and, if done correctly, starts getting you results pretty quickly.
    Make exercise your primary concern and, if your diet is really poor, start changing it slowly, bit by bit, so it doesn't make you really miserable because you're making a wholesale change in an instant.
    If you're bankrupt of willpower you won't be able to lose weight naturally.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.