The Student Room Group

Travelling!

Don't you just get sick of the same old holidays with the same old mates?

I've half planned a trip across Scandinavia (Tallinn > Helsinki > Stockholm > Oslo > Copenhagen) but am loathed to arrange it with my mates because I think travelling with people you've known for years detracts from the amazingness of new places. And they usually want to do the same old thing - lie on a beach during the day and get wrecked in a bar at night. Well excuse me, but I can do that at home!

It just baffles me that there is so much to this planet and most of the population seems content with never seeing any more than their own little patch of it! I want to travel every holiday I get, and keep travelling until I've been *everywhere*!

I think I've just caught the travelling bug. Does anyone else ever feel like the best thing in the world would be to jump into the most random trip to a country you never imagined you'd visit, with a group of people that you don't know?

Scroll to see replies

Ever been to Wales?

You'd then see why we're reluctant to leave :smile:
Reply 2
Yup, you're right Zurich....
I've been to many a place, but there's still so much more to see.
I really wanted to go away this summer, but I realised I dont have anyone to go with......my mates just go on holidays where they don't leave the resort and just go to the beach and drink at night. It makes me so angry! Someone i know just went to Cuba - i asked her how it was and she said it was soooo nice. She later went on to say how they never left the resort. So how the hell can she say Cuba was so nice? What she really means was the hotel and weather was nice. Now, if i had the chance to go to Cuba, i'd be soaking up the culture and having a good look around. Grr..
Down with Ibiza!!

*Gets out protest signs*
Reply 4
Haha i'll join that protest :tongue:

I've quite taken to travelling alone these days because of the lack of someone with the same non-booze non-lounging about on a beach interests.
I know,I absolutely want to see all the corners of the world.I've been to lots of places but like...I've not been to Argentina and I'd love to go and be on the most southerly point of the world....as I'd love to go to,like really obscure countries where you wouldn't expect someone to have been!

I've been overseas on my own a couple of times...mainly as I wanted to go to places no one else wanted to so I ended up going alone.
Reply 6
Zurich
Don't you just get sick of the same old holidays with the same old mates?

I've half planned a trip across Scandinavia (Tallinn > Helsinki > Stockholm > Oslo > Copenhagen) but am loathed to arrange it with my mates because I think travelling with people you've known for years detracts from the amazingness of new places. And they usually want to do the same old thing - lie on a beach during the day and get wrecked in a bar at night. Well excuse me, but I can do that at home!

It just baffles me that there is so much to this planet and most of the population seems content with never seeing any more than their own little patch of it! I want to travel every holiday I get, and keep travelling until I've been *everywhere*!

I think I've just caught the travelling bug. Does anyone else ever feel like the best thing in the world would be to jump into the most random trip to a country you never imagined you'd visit, with a group of people that you don't know?

It depends what you want...I too love Scandinavia (especially Copenhagen and Malmo under snow), but wouldn't go there with my friends on my summer hols.
If you want more than bar culture try Rhodes Town on the island of Rhodes. There's loads of history (with the old Town being a UNESCO World Heratage site), and because its the capital of the island buses leave to all parts of the island (so you can see Archangelos, Lindos and ancient Kamiros) or take the ferry over to Turkey (12km away). Plus, for the summer bit of the holiday, Rhodes has a good beach, awesome nightlife (better than Faliraki IMO because there are a lot less English pissheads about) and the weather is ace. I went with my friends (staying in Pastida, 15km from Rhodes Town) and we had an ace time.
Reply 7
Fleece
I've quite taken to travelling alone these days because of the lack of someone with the same non-booze non-lounging about on a beach interests.

sparklyglitter
I know,I absolutely want to see all the corners of the world.I've been to lots of places but like...I've not been to Argentina and I'd love to go and be on the most southerly point of the world....as I'd love to go to,like really obscure countries where you wouldn't expect someone to have been!

I've been overseas on my own a couple of times...mainly as I wanted to go to places no one else wanted to so I ended up going alone.

Wow! I have to say I've started thinking about travelling alone. I mean, half the point of the travelling is to meet new people and experiencing different cultures. And, as you say, you don't do that in a 'western' hotel resort on a beach.

I've been having a good old scout round the internet this afternoon for travel websites and was surprised to find a huge number of people in exactly the same situation that either travel alone or advertise for travel buddies on the sites.

I'm not really sure which way to go. It's a strange thought, just going off on your own somewhere. How did you both find it? Where did you go/how long for etc?
Zurich
Wow! I have to say I've started thinking about travelling alone. I mean, half the point of the travelling is to meet new people and experiencing different cultures. And, as you say, you don't do that in a 'western' hotel resort on a beach.

I've been having a good old scout round the internet this afternoon for travel websites and was surprised to find a huge number of people in exactly the same situation that either travel alone or advertise for travel buddies on the sites.

I'm not really sure which way to go. It's a strange thought, just going off on your own somewhere. How did you both find it? Where did you go/how long for etc?

I wouldn't mind travelling alone, not too sure about the travel buddies thing, with my luck I'd end up with a psycho who'd leave me in the middle of nowhere with only the shirt on my back...
Zurich

It was fine for me.I didn't go anywhere too underdeveloped(Canada and Germany...)...but I'm aiming to go to somewhere like Vietnam or somewhere when I get a bit more adventurous.The one place I'd really love to go is Mongolia!

I just booked my flights and hotels by myself without using a travel company and it was fine,although I did get in trouble at immigration in Canada for being a young girl on my own...they thought it was a bit odd,so be careful in that respect!

It was better than being with people in that I could do what I wanted when I wanted without having to please others and I wasn't at all scared about being alone as I'm fairly sensible but it did get a bit lonely at times,wasn't too bad though.I'd recommend it if you wanted to do a lot of sightseeing without having other people's plans interfering!
Zurich

Yup, I've hook, line and sinker caught the travelling bug. I knew I would get the travelling bug after I came back from Las Vegas/Grand Canyon in January. I'm going Tsunami volunteering in Thailand on Thursday. Thailand has never been a country that has appealed to me but a friend who I haven't seen in six years got in touch with me through friends reunited and ask me if I wanted to go (her friend had dropped out) so I thought what the heck!

Since then I have booked to go to Boston and am combining New York with Niagara Falls, Philadelphia and Washington DC. None of my friends are really interested in travelling, especially to the States so I booked to go with a tour (don't quite yet have the courage to do it completely on my own!) but nonetheless it should be an amazing experience. Plus, it's always been an ambition of mine to visit all 50 states and with my sudden interest in JFK over these past few months, what better states to go to learn more about him (aside from Dallas that is!) :rolleyes:

I think next on the list are the west coast of the states, Dallas and Europe, especially Poland. I really want to visit Auschwitz as that period of history also interests me.
~Alyssa~
Yup, I've hook, line and sinker caught the travelling bug. I knew I would get the travelling bug after I came back from Las Vegas/Grand Canyon in January. I'm going Tsunami volunteering in Thailand on Thursday. Thailand has never been a country that has appealed to me but a friend who I haven't seen in six years got in touch with me through friends reunited and ask me if I wanted to go (her friend had dropped out) so I thought what the heck!

Since then I have booked to go to Boston and am combining New York with Niagara Falls, Philadelphia and Washington DC. None of my friends are really interested in travelling, especially to the States so I booked to go with a tour (don't quite yet have the courage to do it completely on my own!) but nonetheless it should be an amazing experience. Plus, it's always been an ambition of mine to visit all 50 states and with my sudden interest in JFK over these past few months, what better states to go to learn more about him (aside from Dallas that is!) :rolleyes:

I think next on the list are the west coast of the states, Dallas and Europe, especially Poland. I really want to visit Auschwitz as that period of history also interests me.

Niagara Falls is very pretty,especially in winter when it's frozen over and everything.I've been to the falls 4 times now and it's just...stunning!You have to go on a Maid of the Mist boat,even though you get really wet,lol...ooh and the little path that goes behind the falls...very cool.I've stayed in the town a couple of times too in the Sheraton hotel(we ate our breakfast looking over the falls which was cool...and it has a Starbucks,lol),and the town is a bit tacky and tourist but there are lots of cute amusements and a Planet Hollywood and things so I'd recommend staying overnight to experience all that!
sparklyglitter
Niagara Falls is very pretty,especially in winter when it's frozen over and everything.I've been to the falls 4 times now and it's just...stunning!You have to go on a Maid of the Mist boat,even though you get really wet,lol...ooh and the little path that goes behind the falls...very cool.I've stayed in the town a couple of times too in the Sheraton hotel(we ate our breakfast looking over the falls which was cool...and it has a Starbucks,lol),and the town is a bit tacky and tourist but there are lots of cute amusements and a Planet Hollywood and things so I'd recommend staying overnight to experience all that!

Ahh cool! I think I'll be Niagara falls for two nights so I should have plenty of time to do some exploring and I'm sure the brochure mentioned something about the Maid of the Mist boat. Don't think we'll be taking the walk along the path behind the falls though but I can always brave it and venture out on my own, as I don't think I'll be with the tour the whole time. I really must find the itinerary. You've got me excited again now lol.
Reply 13
Carl
It depends what you want...I too love Scandinavia (especially Copenhagen and Malmo under snow), but wouldn't go there with my friends on my summer hols.
If you want more than bar culture try Rhodes Town on the island of Rhodes. There's loads of history (with the old Town being a UNESCO World Heratage site), and because its the capital of the island buses leave to all parts of the island (so you can see Archangelos, Lindos and ancient Kamiros) or take the ferry over to Turkey (12km away). Plus, for the summer bit of the holiday, Rhodes has a good beach, awesome nightlife (better than Faliraki IMO because there are a lot less English pissheads about) and the weather is ace. I went with my friends (staying in Pastida, 15km from Rhodes Town) and we had an ace time.

Before I get criticised I'm offering this as a compromise solution. I'd love to travel independantly and reckon I'll give it a go when I graduate. For now, living in France will suffice.
Reply 14
ayaan
I wouldn't mind travelling alone, not too sure about the travel buddies thing, with my luck I'd end up with a psycho who'd leave me in the middle of nowhere with only the shirt on my back...

or indeed, off your back.

That's what I'm thinking. It's all very well meeting new people travelling, but there are some people you don't want to be meeting! :biggrin:
Reply 15
sparklyglitter
I did get in trouble at immigration in Canada for being a young girl on my own...they thought it was a bit odd,so be careful in that respect!

Well seeing as I'm neither young, nor a girl, I think I should be ok on that one :wink: :biggrin:

I did get some funny looks when I moved to America with nothing more than a suitcase and $300. I think they thought I wanted to bomb them! :eek:
Reply 16
I'm so envious of all you people, I can't wait to get out of here. I haven't been abroad since February (a weekend in Paris for a friend's birthday: I really enjoy introducing my friends to places I already love) and am stuck here until I go to New Zealand (can't wait!) in the autumn.
I have to admit, I quite like lounging and boozing, but not all the time, especially since you can do it just as well at home. I hate touristy things (and touristy prices!) but still want to see the sights of places. I'd hate to travel somewhere with people who weren't interested in the local culture and so on, fortunately my best travelling friend has most of the same interests as me. Travelling alone can be fun, and the independence and total freedom you get is great, but I don't think I could do it without staying in a hostel so I'd still be sure of meeting other people. I haven't had a holiday with a company since I went to France with my family ten years ago. Independent is the way forward!
Reply 17
I think it depends, if you going off to a resort then theres not much point in trying to soak up the culture by walking 1/2 a mile inland or whatever, so it's best to just make the most of it. Whatever anyone says Ibiza has wicked clubs and in my opinion thats by far and away the best way to spend time in Ibiza. However if your heading for a European tour then of course it makes sense to adventure around the cities you pass through.
If you think your mature enough to see these places alone why dont you do that? I went to Corfu on a hol with the 'resort' type and made an effort to do the kinds of things I wanted, though I didnt really succeed (save sobering up on a beach then going walking in mountains).

So Im off to Paris then Venice for a few days, staying in hostels. I do a lot of travelling domestically and love it. I think solitary travelling gives you a unique opportunity to get in touch with yourself, and also meet people you wouldnt talk to were you with your closest friends. Whenever I travel I come back a different and (I would like to think wiser) person.

If you dont want to go alone there are sites like gapyear.com where people leave ads for travelling buddies.

Just make sure you make the most of your hol! :wink:
Reply 19
Zurich

The first time i went off on my own, i went to Paris.....somewhere i'd been a few times before with other people, and i was running from a broken heart, and it just felt homely. It was good to be there alone, doing what i wanted, seeing what i wanted to see, no compromise.
I just recently went to Germany for 4 months on my own....that was amazing...i met so many people from all over the world :smile:

The only down side to travelling alone is the extortionate rates that you have to pay for a Single Supplement in hotels. I think it's a bit discriminatory really :frown:
There are places i want to go explore (the far east), but i dont think i'd feel comfortable going alone, so would probably want a companion for that.

Latest

Trending

Trending