Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4728353.stm

Fantastic! One of the best things Blair's done has been upheld. Many of the doom predictions about the negative effect of a hunting ban have not taken place, I live in the countryside and am pleased I know longer have to witness this disgusting 'sport'.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be taking an undue amount of pleasure at the unpleasant limitations placed by the state upon others.

Perhaps one day they'll come for you too.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it looks like the BNP just gained a few thousand more votes.

ReputationRep:
    Why would the BNP gain votes? The Tories are against the ban.

What I call unpleasent is the fact that people take pleasure out of harming a defenceless living creature in the name of sport. My Grandad used to be head of a fox hunt and the tales he tells are disgusting.
    Would you argue bear baiting or **** fighting should be allowed?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt the Tories would repeal the ban if they got in next time, what with them set to become all cuddly.

English Heritage had its funding cut roughly at the same time as the ban, with the explicit reason that it overwhelmingly served "white, middle-class people". Many I've spoken too (whether hunters or just country dwellers) see the ban as just another extention of that; another assault upon them. With ammunition as explosive as that, the BNP are sure to profit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pepaim)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4728353.stm

Fantastic! One of the best things Blair's done has been upheld. Many of the doom predictions about the negative effect of a hunting ban have not taken place, I live in the countryside and am pleased I know longer have to witness this disgusting 'sport'.
    Why should the rights of animals be placed above the rights of human beings? Someone needs to get their priorities straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Well, it looks like the BNP just gained a few thousand more votes.
    That's good....even with more votes in elections the bnp are insignificant, the tories will have less votes ...so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Most people have a dislike for the BNP because they tend to be associated with xenophobic violence. Therefore, those people would assume that the more support they have, they more violence there will be.

Your ambivelance suggests you hate them for another reason. What would that be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    That's good....even with more votes in elections the bnp are insignificant, the tories will have less votes ...so it's all good.
    Except that the BNP gets more votes from Labour than from Tories. Their economic policies are much closer to Labour, and their social policies are equally close to the Conservatives and Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Except that the BNP gets more votes from Labour than from Tories.
    That is actually the BNP's biggest weakness. Since most of these Old Labour voters tend to be from the poorest segments of society, the party doesn't have much money or expertise at its disposal. Out of the rural Englanders they may gain in coming years, many have both in abundance.

ReputationRep:
    Except that the BNP gets more votes from Labour than from Tories. Their economic policies are much closer to Labour, and their social policies are equally close to the Conservatives and Labour.
    So you should be quoting JonD's message...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    So you should be quoting JonD's message...
    Why? You were the one who made a factually incorrect statement.

ReputationRep:
    Why? You were the one who made a factually incorrect statement.
    What a ridiculous aggresive stance to take....how exactly did I make a 'factually incorrect statement' by saying how strong the BNP and the tories would be if JOND's STATEMENT was true...

ReputationRep:
    Bringing you back to that "evil sport" for a couple of minutes...has anyone seen what actually happens at a fox hunt since the ban?
    Well...they go out, shoot a fox and string it up behind another horse, which runs off. Then, all the horses and hounds chase the carkas...lovely isn't it....
    The amazing thing is, that the number of foxes killed since the introduction of the
    "ban" has actually increased, by a factor of 2 or 3 in some reason, as that way every time they have a "succesful" hunt...
    One more thing...they way fox hunting is being plied now, isn't in keeping with the environment. The traditional method results in the killing of the old and weak foxes, therefore furthering the principles of natural selection. Whereas, the foxes being killed now are just those stupid enough to wander across the farmers back gardens. Of the foxes they shoot, approximately 1 in 3 is shot but not killed, so limps off, dying a slow and painful death.
    I wouldn't be too surprised that as a result of this you see a decrease in the fox population, possibly to the extent that they need to start reintroducing the fox to the countryside.
    If you want to look at something the labour government has done to improve the country, look at the minimum wage

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic! One of the best things Blair's done has been upheld.
    Didn't he vote against a ban?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Northumbrian)
    Didn't he vote against a ban?
    Who could possibly know...he has shown a massive amount of contempt for the parliamentary democratic system by having one of the lowest turn-outs for parliamentary votes of all ministers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    Who could possibly know...
    His votes are still public knowlegde. You can probably find it on the Guardian's Ask Aristotle, or one of the government websites ("they serve you" rings a bell). I'll take a look later, unless someone finds it in the mean time.

ReputationRep:
    Who could possibly know...he has shown a massive amount of contempt for the parliamentary democratic system by having one of the lowest turn-outs for parliamentary votes of all ministers
    I'm sure he voted against the ban and against house of lords reformation.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - he didn't offer a vote to it, as he does so frequently...the other examples there given are id cards, the terrorism act ammendment, house of lords amentment (fully elected...), opposition to single faith schools, anti terrorism legislation, international action against terrorism, freedom on information legislation, opposition to cuts in student funding....what a brilliant parliamentarian he truly is

ReputationRep:
    Repealing this ban is one of the first things the Conservatives should do when they get back into power.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.