Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    lulz

ReputationRep:
    This is a difficult problem to answer...
    Sometimes people get like that with their boyfriends, don't have any time for their friends etc. but it sounds like your friend is still out with other friends despite not seeing you. Perhaps her boyfriend is pressuring her to spend her time with friends her own age.
    Maybe it would be best to cut contact with her for a while, if she is that good a friend, she will miss you, and get back in touch. In the meantime, concentrate on your other friends, you won't feel as lonely, or upset.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, this is so sad. This is why I'd never let myself depend on anybody. My sister is my best friend and would never let me down. If any of my other friends abandoned me, I'd be greatly upset, but I'd still have others.
    I think you should maintain the friendship, but forget this talk of dying for someone you've known less than a year who has abandoned you as soon as someone else came along. Get back in contact with your other friends.

I think the saying goes, don't make anyone your priority when they only make you an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdoh)
    Me and my best friend have known each other since July. Not very long, I know, but we got on so well and we spent every weekend together etc. I’m 17 and she’s 21 but it’s never been an issue, she’s young for her age and I’m about my age! She recently got a boyfriend – something I’m fine with, but she spends every night with him and keeps blowing me off at weekends. We had this massive argument last week because she said she’d be in trouble for leaving him, and I said to her don’t say that because you mean you want to see him. I just wanted her to be honest! But anyway she was supposed to be at mine all weekend, I got the whole weekend off. And she didn’t come, ignored my calls. Said she needed some “me time”. Then I find out she went to her other best friends?! It’s a horrible situation because I feel like she doesn’t want to know me anymore. She’s dropped me so quickly and it hurts. We used to text all the time, now she keeps “forgetting.” People keep telling me she’s not worth it, but she really is. She’s the bestest friend I’ve ever had, I’ve never known anybody like her and I actually would die for her. I’ve tried telling her how I feel but she said I need to get back friends with my other friends. Should I move on and lose her as a best friend or maintain the friendship? My heart’s saying the latter but my head can’t take anymore upset.
    I was taking this seriously until I read the bold part. You sound about 8.

Friendships do change over time - it's sad, but you lose people. However, you also gain others.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.