The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL and GCSE grades

Hello

Just want to ask; what are UCL like with GCSE grades? I didn't do too well at GCSE (A*AABBBBBBBC) and I was just wondering what're my chances with UCL with those GCSE grades, but good A Levels? Specifically for L100 (Economics)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think it depends entirely on the course. i have an interview to study architecture with ABBBCCCDEU or something along those lines at GCSE - althought i imagine economics is completely different
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
No offense, you're at a rather serious disadvantage. Most of the people I've talked to in my elective modules in the Econ department have obscenely good GCSE grades, often better than mine (8A* 5A)
Reply 3
Don't apply for L100, try Economics and Statistics or something.
Reply 4
UCL consider GCSE grades along with other attributes such as predicted grades, AS performance, PS and reference. The sort of school you attended will also be looked at, so if you're currently at Eton then your GCSE grades wont look as good compared to attending a school like mine where only 30% of students achieve 5 Cs or above at GCSE.

Don't be discouraged by these comments, go for it!
Reply 5
hahahahahaah

ok

at gcse i got ABBBBCCCCDD, with a C in physics

I have an offer to study Astrophysics there.

Says it all really.
WilliamWJ
hahahahahaah

ok

at gcse i got ABBBBCCCCDD, with a C in physics

I have an offer to study Astrophysics there.

Says it all really.

I'm so not going there now.
I got an offer with A*AAAAAAAAAAC, but not for economics obviously :tongue: so in general UCL don't mind too much, but economics, maybe :s-smilie:
Damn my C in German, though!
Reply 8
domino0806
I'm so not going there now.

GCSE's mean hardly anything.

UCL physics is amazing.
Jfranny
i think it depends entirely on the course. i have an interview to study architecture with ABBBCCCDEU or something along those lines at GCSE - althought i imagine economics is completely different

You're either lying or an international student.
I got in with 1 A*,4 As,2 Bs and 2 Cs and ECC at AS. I put it down to a good personal statement,good references and good predicted grades but it was for History not Economics...But still,quite popular.
Reply 11
TheMeister

what? i'm not lying at all... i expected to get rejected immediately however they sent me the drawing task (which not everyone gets sent) - i then passed the drawing test and have been asked to come to an interview, only 400 or so get invited to the interview after the drawing task from 2500 applicants...

admittedly my technical ability does compensate my poor academics at gcse and as however i'm confident i'll come out with AAB overall this year.

oh and i'm from keighley, west yorkshire
Reply 12
TheMeister

I know someone else with similar grades who got an interview for architecture.

Anyway I got an offer with AAABCCCEEE @ GCSE.
Reply 13
xSkyFire
I know someone else with similar grades who got an interview for architecture.

Anyway I got an offer with AAABCCCEEE @ GCSE.

did they get an offer? :woo:
Reply 14
Jfranny
did they get an offer? :woo:

The interview was recently so just have to wait for now :p:
wooaoh I never knew economics was soo competitive :redface:
Reply 16
GCSEs will play a part in your application, but not a massive part. They want a variety of students - they need to select people who will be happy being the worst half/quarter of people on the course (this is certainly true of Ivy Leagues, and I assume top UK unis).
Reply 17
Coda
Hello

Just want to ask; what are UCL like with GCSE grades? I didn't do too well at GCSE (A*AABBBBBBBC) and I was just wondering what're my chances with UCL with those GCSE grades, but good A Levels? Specifically for L100 (Economics)

as said before,
do not apply for L100, regardless of AS results.
you would stand a much better chance for Economics and Statistics or some other combination.
this is because it is seriously competitive (3000 applying for 200 places) and so gcse's are extremely important. i would say they are the most important factor after being predicted atleast A*AA at a-level including maths for ucl.
sorry to sound harsh but those stats on its competitiveness have to be looked at as people think ucl is easy to get into and then get rejections, even with 7 a* at gcse
Reply 18
Sub Zero
as said before,
do not apply for L100, regardless of AS results.
you would stand a much better chance for Economics and Statistics or some other combination.
this is because it is seriously competitive (3000 applying for 200 places) and so gcse's are extremely important. i would say they are the most important factor after being predicted atleast A*AA at a-level including maths for ucl.
sorry to sound harsh but those stats on its competitiveness have to be looked at as people think ucl is easy to get into and then get rejections, even with 7 a* at gcse

Wouldn't it be harder to get in for Econ & Stats considering I'm not taking FMaths but I am taking stats modules in Maths? I would prefer to do Econ+Stats really, because I want to go into corporate finance and I figured the statistical/mathematical experience would help out even more.
Reply 19
Coda
Wouldn't it be harder to get in for Econ & Stats considering I'm not taking FMaths but I am taking stats modules in Maths? I would prefer to do Econ+Stats really, because I want to go into corporate finance and I figured the statistical/mathematical experience would help out even more.

you don't do further maths and want to do economics at UCL (a top 5 university for economics)? pretty much everyone i met at the open day for economics last week that i met had further maths as one of 4 a-levels, and with a 5th AS as well. not to say there aren't people without further maths, but the A* requirement in maths is a must regardless of which course and you must do atleast two other respected subjects, preferably one of which is economics.
econ & stats is easier to get into but you will need extremely high module marks to get in if you don't do further maths and only have 1a* at gcse.
what are your subjects? have you considered self-teaching further maths to AS-level?

Quick Reply

Latest