Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why have Cambridge set the minimum GCSE requirment of Maths and Science at a C grade?

When they quite clearly will never accept anyone with C's at GCSE.:mad:

Just wanted to know what you guys think, I thinks its quite pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I think my GCSE are not worthy enough just found out GCSE resits are a no go. I wanted to apply to Cambridge, St Andrews , UCL and LSE.

GCSE's

- History: A
    - Double Science: A*A*
    - English: A
    - Maths: A
    -Applied French: C
    - PE: D
    - Business Studies: B
    - Geography: C

A-levels:
    - Chemistry: A*
    - Maths: A*
    - Biology: A*
    - Physics: A

I have loads of work experince and voluntary work. I think they wont accept me on the basis of my GCSE grades, what do you think.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    How bad can somone's GCSE grades be? Anecdotes please.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    They clearly will, and probabaly have.

Unlikely does not equal never.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Stop making similar threads. Ergh.

Also, you can't have A*s yet.

ReputationRep:
    They could be all Us.

...yeah, that's all I've got. (In terms of replies. :P)

ReputationRep:
    I got a U in Maths. And my best grade was a D in science.

That's how bad GCSE grades can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Stop making similar threads. Ergh.

Also, you can't have A*s yet.
    This.

And you will stand less chance if you resit, so don't. It's only really Birmingham and Oxbridge that CARE about GCSEs, most other places are not too fussed if your A levels, voluntary work and UKCAT/BMAT scores are good. Oh and you do good in the interview if you get offered one.

ReputationRep:
    I Believe U Can Do Better Than That. Go To Ur Local College And Do The Gcse Again.

ReputationRep:
    I remember a few of my mates back at secondary school got the sort of results where they could spell FUDGE with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ynoah)
    I Believe U Can Do Better Than That. Go To Ur Local College And Do The Gcse Again.
    I already have, although frankly they were dull and tedious and made absolutely zero difference in my level of intelligence.

Granted, I was 22 but still.

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know got all Us.

ReputationRep:
    HA! I can actually spell FUDGE with my intial GCSE grades.

I'm oddly proud of that fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ynoah)
    Not when you want to apply for Medicine. Resits are not a good idea really, it may put you at a higher risk of rejection.

ReputationRep:
    If the requirement is that, then they cannot legally reject you purely based on the fact you have C in maths and science. It will not put you at a disadvantage, if they reject you, it will be for a different reason. Now stop will all these threads. If you are predicted A* A* A* A at A level, have tons of voluntary work and you have at least the minimum GCSE requirements, whats wrong?? Not much really.

ReputationRep:
    they are probably just left over from the old matriculation requirements, and nobody has bothered to change them yet

ReputationRep:
    It just means they can accept you so long as you have a C, so if they have someone who got like 100% in all their A-levels they would probably let them in with the C's. HOwever, it's competitive so if you're not going to get a high BMAT or A*'s to balance it out, it would be a bit of a waste of time applying with C's... It's only a minimum requirement anyway, many people have higher.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean to apply to medicine or in life?! Because in life I'm sure its not unheard of for people to get straight U's...

ReputationRep:
    For medicine? I wouldn't apply to Cambridge or UCL with only 5A's+... It's competitve enough, don't stab yourself in the foot. And you can't have A*'s yet... I think the chances of someone with yoru GCSE's getting all A*'s as unlikely, try to be more realistic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    I remember a few of my mates back at secondary school got the sort of results where they could spell FUDGE with them.
    That rather amused me.

Well yeah could be quite bad, any reason why your asking or?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.