Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge Maths and Science at C grade/GCSE panics watch

ReputationRep:
    i had a similar situation. call up the unis that you wanted and ask. then if you come up short, call up any other uni that you want and ask. get it in email form so if they say "we rejected you because of your GCSEs" then you can say HA you said you wouldnt care!!

trust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentjohn)
    I think my GCSE are not worthy enough just found out GCSE resits are a no go. I
    A-levels:
    - Chemistry: A*
    - Maths: A*
    - Biology: A*
    - Physics: A

Thanks
    What is the point of these fictitious grades?

Why use the word 'worthy' when the appropriate word is 'good' ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy__power)
    Also, you can't have A*s yet.
    Clearly he's applying to be Doctor Who, Timelord.

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: LSE do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steve2005)
    What is the point of these fictitious grades?

Why use the word 'worthy' when the appropriate word is 'good' ?
    They're most likely predicted grades.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jingers)
    They're most likely predicted grades.
    Why do you have so much red? I have never seen you say anything directly pernicious and you generally seem to contribute quite sensibly. I could just be missing your points of idiocy or biggotry but with most other lots of red people it is evident to me why they have it.

Just an observation.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have so much red? I have never seen you say anything directly pernicious and you generally seem to contribute quite sensibly. I could just be missing your points of idiocy or biggotry but with most other lots of red people it is evident to me why they have it.

Just an observation.
    I contribute sensibly, but I also give an honest opinion, e.g. there was this thread about the Ukrainian girl doing the sand drawings. I think I said I didn't like it, and then Bubbles de Milo negged me. Profesh also negged me, as I said that he's not as witty as he thinks.

Annoying those 2, and a few people with some rep power, has left me with this amount of red gems.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine at the London School of Economics?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jingers)
    I contribute sensibly, but I also give an honest opinion, e.g. there was this thread about the Ukrainian girl doing the sand drawings. I think I said I didn't like it, and then Bubbles de Milo negged me. Profesh also negged me, as I said that he's not as witty as he thinks.

Annoying those 2, and a few people with some rep power, has left me with this amount of red gems.
    Ah I see, fair enough.

=]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    LSE!

Get Out!

No one wants a doctor to treat them with economic models, the need medicine!

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, fair enough.

=]
    If you just repped me, thank you.

Did you used to have a purrty girl in your sig?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    This.
    It's only really Birmingham and Oxbridge that CARE about GCSEs,
    Edinburgh does as well, 33% of the academic part of the test (excluding UKcat) is made up of GCSE's, so i.e. 4/12 points out of 36 in total are for GCSE's, which is a big amount really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    I remember a few of my mates back at secondary school got the sort of results where they could spell FUDGE with them.
    Same in my school.

Quite funny really.

With mine you can spell

ABBA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentjohn)
    Why have Cambridge set the minimum GCSE requirment of Maths and Science at a C grade?

When they quite clearly will never accept anyone with C's at GCSE.:mad:

Just wanted to know what you guys think, I thinks its quite pathetic.
    They set it because it's true. If they wanted to exclude students who got C grades in maths and science they would, but clearly they don't want to. It's not all about academics at Oxbridge, you know. That's why you hear of straight A/A* students being rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    For medicine? I wouldn't apply to Cambridge or UCL with only 5A's+... It's competitve enough, don't stab yourself in the foot. And you can't have A*'s yet... I think the chances of someone with yoru GCSE's getting all A*'s as unlikely, try to be more realistic...
    My friend just got an interview today for UCL med with less then 5 A's in Gcse's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moley89)
    Clearly he's applying to be Doctor Who, Timelord.
    This tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    This.

And you will stand less chance if you resit, so don't. It's only really Birmingham and Oxbridge that CARE about GCSEs, most other places are not too fussed if your A levels, voluntary work and UKCAT/BMAT scores are good. Oh and you do good in the interview if you get offered one.
    OP - be careful because this is not true. you would have very little chance of getting into imperial, southamton, leeds, bristol..... and others with your grades.
    you can get into medicine with thoes grades (but i am sure i have told you this before:rolleyes: ) but only if you pick your unis wisely and maximise your chances of good ukcats (practice!!!).
    i know people who have got into medicine with simialr grades but they chose realistic unis. have a look at newcastle, glasgow and peninsular you have a fair chance there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    My friend just got an interview today for UCL med with less then 5 A's in Gcse's.
    I'm not saying it's impossble! I just think it's unlikely, and he hasn't got an offer yet =P I just think it's best to go with places where OP'll have the best chance, medicine is competitve, it's best to be realistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaNzY)
    If the requirement is that, then they cannot legally reject you purely based on the fact you have C in maths and science. It will not put you at a disadvantage, if they reject you, it will be for a different reason. Now stop will all these threads. If you are predicted A* A* A* A at A level, have tons of voluntary work and you have at least the minimum GCSE requirements, whats wrong?? Not much really.
    Are you joking? Of COURSE they could reject someone for having Cs in science and maths. There would be plenty wrong with applying with Cs in the science and maths GCSEs to Cambridge. You'd have virtually no chance of getting in.

EDIT: And yeah, your thing about only Oxbridge and Birmingham really caring about GCSEs also isn't really true. There are other places who also care. The OP expresses an interest in applying to KCL and St Andrews, which both make reasonably significant use of GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    For medicine? I wouldn't apply to Cambridge or UCL with only 5A's+... It's competitve enough, don't stab yourself in the foot. And you can't have A*'s yet... I think the chances of someone with yoru GCSE's getting all A*'s as unlikely, try to be more realistic...
    Actually im predicted A*'s for A2

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.