Turn on thread page Beta

Am i gaining weight too fast? watch

ReputationRep:
    So i started Mark Rippetoes' strength training plan for noobs last week, along side a high calorie/protein diet, (surprisingly clean). I weighed myself this morning and have put on 4.5 pounds since last Monday! Is this too much to fast? I was thinking if i kept on putting that much weight on every week, that would be bad?

Oh and basic info
    -10.45 stone
    -6ft 1
    -8 percent body fat
    -Ectomorph
    -Looking to get bigger (Muscle mass)

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    If you keep gaining at that rate then you will be one hell of a fat *******, real soon. But you might reasonably expect a faster bit of weight gain at the start, as you retain more water and so on - hopefully it will slow down.

It can be a tricky balance to strike. One of the most dramatic manifestations of "good genetics" is the ability to gain a high proportion of muscle per unit of fat gained (given whatever appropriate training and diet). There are people who can gain weight for months or years at a time and barely put on an ounce of fat. Others will get all tubby for even the slightest bit of muscle gain. Keep one eye on the scales and another on the mirror. Don't get fat - it's not worth it.

But yea, just see what happens next week and the week after.

Oh, monitoring skinfolds is good, imo. Take a punch just by your navel, or the suprailliac is a popular one, at the same time each day. You can get calipers or just do it with your fingers and you pretty well judge how your body fat is changing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    If you keep gaining at that rate then you will be one hell of a fat *******, real soon. But you might reasonably expect a faster bit of weight gain at the start, as you retain more water and so on - hopefully it will slow down.

It can be a tricky balance to strike. One of the most dramatic manifestations of "good genetics" is the ability to gain a high proportion of muscle per unit of fat gained (given whatever appropriate training and diet). There are people who can gain weight for months or years at a time and barely put on an ounce of fat. Others will get all tubby for even the slightest bit of muscle gain. Keep one eye on the scales and another on the mirror. Don't get fat - it's not worth it.

But yea, just see what happens next week and the week after.

Oh, monitoring skinfolds is good, imo. Take a punch just by your navel, or the suprailliac is a popular one, at the same time each day. You can get calipers or just do it with your fingers and you pretty well judge how your body fat is changing.
    Thanks for the good advice
    Yeah that's what i'm worried about. I'm an ectomorph, currently weighing in at 10.45, and around 8 percent body fat. If that helps. But yeah cheers i'll just keep watching the scales and the mirror over this next week and see what the weight gain is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supfresh.)
    Thanks for the good advice
    Yeah that's what i'm worried about. I'm an ectomorph, currently weighing in at 10.45, and around 8 percent body fat. If that helps. But yeah cheers i'll just keep watching the scales and the mirror over this next week and see what the weight gain is like.
    If you're starting out pretty lean then chances are you can stay pretty lean (or at least get back to that state quite easily). Even 1lb a week is quite a lot, remember. Even half that much is.

One way to do it is basically just gain enough so that your lifts are increasing and you're recovering well. I, for example, *will not* gain strength unless I am gaining weight. It just doesn't happen. So, as long as I'm gaining a little bit, and my lifts are going up, all is well. Forcing more weight gain doesn't speed the process up at all.

ReputationRep:
    Work out your bmr then eat 500 over it.

Continue lifting and if it ain't working, go up another 500 again .

What are your lifts at present?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Work out your bmr then eat 500 over it.

Continue lifting and if it ain't working, go up another 500 again .

What are your lifts at present?
    I have done, so I'm pretty sure i'm getting the right amount of calories

Just started

Bench-40kg
    Squats-40kg
    Dead lifts- 50kg
    Barbel bicep curl-20kg

(Yet to do standing military press/powercleans, that's on wednesday)

I'm not really feeling any strain with these lifts though, maybe i should bump it up?

ReputationRep:
    well squat and deadlift should be high er than bench but that's irrelevant seeing as you've just started. just do what feels good as you're new to this, your squats should go up 5-10kg each workout and bench 2.5-5kg.

why you bicep curling bro? :rant:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    well squat and deadlift should be high er than bench but that's irrelevant seeing as you've just started. just do what feels good as you're new to this, your squats should go up 5-10kg each workout and bench 2.5-5kg.

why you bicep curling bro? :rant:
    Ahh cheers, i'll aim for those weight increases thanks!

And no idea bro, the fitness trainer at my gym just added in to the program i brought in

ReputationRep:
    my weight fluctuates between 3-4 lbs anyway...mainly probably to do with water in take. If you're a twig any weight gained is good....just keep eating and training

ReputationRep:

And no idea bro, the fitness trainer at my gym just added in to the program i brought in
    Take out the bicep curls lol. Your trainer is an idiot. Just do the programme as is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    Take out the bicep curls lol. Your trainer is an idiot. Just do the programme as is.
    Yeah, he did seem a bit inexperienced :/. Can i ask why they should be taken out?

ReputationRep:
    If you did, this time next year you'll be about 27.164 stone..so yeah it's bad.

ReputationRep:

Which gym do you go to?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.