Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone been? Where's the best place to go to in Cyprus for a family holiday? (Not Ayia Napa!) Basically somewhere with stuff going on at night but not all nightclubs etc

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I remember my dad saying something about a friend of his who has a villa in North Cyprus, which is away from all the nightclubs/typical British tourist areas. There are some really amazing sites, and the architecture is amazingly preserved. It's just a really relaxing and beautiful place to be.

ReputationRep:
    Well you definetly want to go South Cyprus (which Ayia Napa is not in). I'd probably say Paphos or Limassol maybe. Probably Paphos. They are nice places near to Paphos though where you can get the more rustic elements of cyprus but still be close enough to Paphos to not miss out on the touristy crap if you want to go there during the day/evening

Check out Coral Bay, i think it's what you're after to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    go to turkish cyprus not greek cyprus, the beaches are generally nicer.

last time i went was years ago, so cant really suggest anything specific

ReputationRep:
    Limassol is amazing. Paphos is really good as well for a family holiday. They are the main options on the south side that are more family orientated.

Kyrenia is nice, on the northern side. My Aunty and Uncle have been there a couple of times. However, I would say go to the south side and if is possible hire a car and drive to the north side. That way you can explore at your leisure, get the freedom to travel and see the best bits of an amazing Island and can also be somewhere that is touristy, not too loud and crowded but still has enough going on to keep everyone entertained. =)

ReputationRep:
    There's a First Choice holiday village in Paphos called Aliathon; there are lots of activities to do there, for people young or old and is only a 5 minute walk to the beach and a 10 minute bus ride from Paphos harbour C'est fantastique!

ReputationRep:
    Went to Paphos a couple of summers ago, was lovely, not too touristy etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I generally agree with the above. Paphos is the best place for a family holiday, it's furthest away from all the louts and the like. You can get international flights directly there. Remember if you go to the north you're funding an illegal state. The architecture will be nice if it unvandalised. Trying not to show personal feelings. Failing miserably. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michelin Man)
    Yeah I generally agree with the above. Paphos is the best place for a family holiday, it's furthest away from all the louts and the like. You can get international flights directly there. Remember if you go to the north you're funding an illegal state. The architecture will be nice if it unvandalised. Trying not to show personal feelings. Failing miserably. :rolleyes:
    Greek by chance?

ReputationRep:
    Fact.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Northern Cyprus (the Turkish Cypriot side). It's much less touristy and clubby than the south, although it's getting that way now sadly. We used to go and stay in a place called Hilarion Village, which is basically a small group of self catering villas with a pool and a restaurant if you fancy it, not too far from Kyrenia. Had some really fantastic holidays there.

Alternatively, come to my hotel on the Turkish coast (Antalya region) it's in just about the only stretch of the Turkish med coast that hasn't been absolutely buggered up by the tourist industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belle-x)
    Anyone been? Where's the best place to go to in Cyprus for a family holiday? (Not Ayia Napa!) Basically somewhere with stuff going on at night but not all nightclubs etc

Thanks
    I'm going to Paphos in July with my family me 15, mother, father and brother 19.

Paphos is where it is all at.

Look it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Fact.
    Well it goes without saying really

(Original post by *Darcie*)
    Greek by chance?
    Maybe :rolleyes:

If you do go to the north make sure you say hello to whoever it is that's staying in my house...

ReputationRep:
    Well it goes without saying really

Maybe :rolleyes:

If you do go to the north make sure you say hello to whoever it is that's staying in my house...
    I know a bitter disgruntled Greek when I see one.

I jokes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... never been to the north of cyprus, not that I can/want to. My dad was born on a british army base in Dhekelia, my grandad worked on the base, protecting Cyprus, and on my dads passport it says he was born in Cyprus, and we were told not to go to Turkey or northern cyprus as he will get questioned, which we wouldnt want as hes epileptic and would just bring on a fit... go to the south Go to Paphos for a family stay, Coral Bay is your typical touristy town, hire a car and go to Famagusta, the ghost town, go to Nicosia the capital... go as far west as possible, near Israel and maybe visit Israel for a day or two?

ReputationRep:
    i've been there once, had a lovely time, think it was the south

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.