Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by DerPumuckl)
    I'd rather have "class" in what I do and how I am than being regarded as stylish because I wear an overpriced suit.
    You're naive if you think your physical impression can be readily divorced from the rest.

I may think your idealism is well placed and desirable - but to follow that through to application shows a stunningly optimistic and ultimately painful loyalty to the world we don't live in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    You're naive if you think your physical impression can be readily divorced from the rest.

I may think your idealism is well placed and desirable - but to follow that through to application shows a stunningly optimistic and ultimately painful loyalty to the world we don't live in.
    I agree, but I am not advocating turning up in shorts and a t-shirt. I am just saying I will not go there with a 5000 pound watch and an Armani suit, because if you do good work a normal 250-350 pound suit is fine in my mind.

I agree, but I am not advocating turning up in shorts and a t-shirt. I am just saying I will not go there with a 5000 pound watch and an Armani suit, because if you do good work a normal 250-350 pound suit is fine in my mind.
    So, 'Fine' is the level of your ambition is it?

Dressing/fashion has the classic features of an arms race. They aren't good things, but they are there.

If you can spend more and get some advantage from it, you would (or have the incentive to do so, anyway).

Denying the existence is silly. Saying you don't think the amount you pay is worth the advantage - sure. Others will say that the advantage works out for the cost.

They get some edge in their impression, you get some money. Blah blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    So, 'Fine' is the level of your ambition is it?

Dressing/fashion has the classic features of an arms race. They aren't good things, but they are there.

If you can spend more and get some advantage from it, you would (or have the incentive to do so, anyway).

Denying the existence is silly. Saying you don't think the amount you pay is worth the advantage - sure. Others will say that the advantage works out for the cost.

They get some edge in their impression, you get some money. Blah blah blah.
    Actually, if interns overdress I think that will be seen as pompous and ridiculous. Certainly in Trading. At GS office in London I have seen some horrendously dressed traders. I doubt they like to be outdone by some 20-year old from Warwick.

Actually, if interns overdress I think that will be seen as pompous and ridiculous. Certainly in Trading. At GS office in London I have seen some horrendously dressed traders. I doubt they like to be outdone by some 20-year old from Warwick.
    Largely, I think they accept they can't be bothered to invest and get on with their lives without needing to get their kicks out of beating on interns.

They won't scorn, they'll appreciate what you've done for what it is.

You dress like a tramp, well, your choice. You don't, also your choice. It is as revealing as that.

ReputationRep:
    Trading yes. My impression is IBD and sales tends to be somewhat different. Also, an expensive suit isn't overdressing any more than a cheap suit is, it just flatters better, lasts longer and is made of better fabric. Now, if someone's gone over the top in a fashiony style sense, then I see your point. Also if someone's spent £5k, they've money to waste, as there's no reason I can see to spend more than a couple of thousand, and even then it's more quality than anyone would notice. But there's a distinct difference between spending £50 and £200 and £600 on a suit, assuming you spend it well. The former is the only one I'd consider to be a mistake, the choice between the latter two is preference.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have "class" in what I do and how I am than being regarded as stylish because I wear an overpriced suit.
    See all of the posts PB followed with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Trading yes. My impression is IBD and sales tends to be somewhat different. Also, an expensive suit isn't overdressing any more than a cheap suit is, it just flatters better, lasts longer and is made of better fabric. Now, if someone's gone over the top in a fashiony style sense, then I see your point. Also if someone's spent £5k, they've money to waste, as there's no reason I can see to spend more than a couple of thousand, and even then it's more quality than anyone would notice. But there's a distinct difference between spending £50 and £200 and £600 on a suit, assuming you spend it well. The former is the only one I'd consider to be a mistake, the choice between the latter two is preference.
    Too true. Until youve worn numerous suits from a lot of designers and shops like i have, all off the peg id hasten to add, even my 600 quid one, (fitted like a glove i didnt need any alterations) not only can you tell the difference when you wear it, but I can tell when people have skimped on a suit and it looks *****.

On a side note. Only watch worth paying fair whack for is a Patek. We all know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Too true. Until youve worn numerous suits from a lot of designers and shops like i have, all off the peg id hasten to add, even my 600 quid one, (fitted like a glove i didnt need any alterations) not only can you tell the difference when you wear it, but I can tell when people have skimped on a suit and it looks *****.

On a side note. Only watch worth paying fair whack for is a Patek. We all know that.
    Very true, I've been trying on a fair few pairs of suits over the past couple of weeks. Over Christmas I went for a M&S one which in fact did fit me quite well...did look good and was a very last minute job, absolutely brilliant for the price as well (around £200). Yet the one I bought a week or two ago is something else, unbelievable fit on me, like a glove - looks brilliant, fabric is gorgeous etc - and this was an off-the-peg job as well (admittedly some of the more expensive ones didn't fit well at all, can't say I was overly impressed by Armani or Boss Black.... the M&S one was superior to them in that respect - then again I've got the body shape which is a nightmare for finding a good suit...very broad shoulders for my size and in need of a slim fitting suit...JOY!)

Seeing a bad fitting suit is terrible, it's not about how much the suit costs if it fits you well and you're happy with it. It's just not a coincidence that you tend to pay more for a better fit/quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    Very true, I've been trying on a fair few pairs of suits over the past couple of weeks. Over Christmas I went for a M&S one which in fact did fit me quite well...did look good and was a very last minute job, absolutely brilliant for the price as well (around £200). Yet the one I bought a week or two ago is something else, unbelievable fit on me, like a glove - looks brilliant, fabric is gorgeous etc - and this was an off-the-peg job as well (admittedly some of the more expensive ones didn't fit well at all, can't say I was overly impressed by Armani or Boss Black.... the M&S one was superior to them in that respect - then again I've got the body shape which is a nightmare for finding a good suit...very broad shoulders for my size and in need of a slim fitting suit...JOY!)

Seeing a bad fitting suit is terrible, it's not about how much the suit costs if it fits you well and you're happy with it. It's just not a coincidence that you tend to pay more for a better fit/quality.
    My Armani one is *****. I was young (17) and attracted to the fabric (which is amazing) but the fit is ****. Hence why i never wear it. My PS one bought at xmas its incredible. Certain lines are crap fitting for certain shapes. Boss dont fit me well, Zegna are the same. RL Black Label.. amazing...

Ill-fitting suits bug the hell out of me. like ALOT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    My Armani one is *****. I was young (17) and attracted to the fabric (which is amazing) but the fit is ****. Hence why i never wear it. My PS one bought at xmas its incredible. Certain lines are crap fitting for certain shapes. Boss dont fit me well, Zegna are the same. RL Black Label.. amazing...

Ill-fitting suits bug the hell out of me. like ALOT.
    Yeh innit just - I've got a PS one too (which admittedly I've grown out of due to age/beer) but had that and it fitted like a glove...got it from Bicester too so was under £200 for a very nice suit. The one I've just got however is a beautiful Canali one...awesome cut and material and found it in a sale which was even better!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh innit just - I've got a PS one too (which admittedly I've grown out of due to age/beer) but had that and it fitted like a glove...got it from Bicester too so was under £200 for a very nice suit. The one I've just got however is a beautiful Canali one...awesome cut and material and found it in a sale which was even better!
    mmm. mine was a Selfridges exclusive. Apparently, they order certain cuts in certain fabrics in a limited number exclusively for the London store. Beautiful subtle blue/grey.

I found an absolutely gorgeous navy blue Aquascutum in the sales, but the ******* wouldnt change the trousers from one size to another and (un)fortunately im not a 34'' waist.

ReputationRep:
    I heard this pronounced "Bister" the other day. If this is indeed the correct spelling I can never, ever go there.

I am surprised though that an M&S suit cost £200. I would have reckoned they'd be more like <£100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I heard this pronounced "Bister" the other day. If this is indeed the correct spelling I can never, ever go there.
    Yes, that's how you pronounce it. Like Towcester being pronounced like toaster.

(Original post by paddy)
    I am surprised though that an M&S suit cost £200. I would have reckoned they'd be more like <£100.
    Why?! M&S has never been a cheap place. They do suits up to £1000 (their Cashmere Savile Row one), though most are £150-300 or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Yes, that's how you pronounce it. Like Towcester being pronounced like toaster.

Why?! M&S has never been a cheap place. They do suits up to £1000 (their Cashmere Savile Row one), though most are £150-300 or so.
    There was tell of a £27 suit back in the heat of the ol' crunch :holmes:

Also due to childhood trauma I associate M&S clothing stores with hell.

As for Towcester a little bit of me has died inside :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if anyone has any advice on where to look on the 'cheaper end' of the options. I got a Zara suit for interviews and it seemed alright - it was fairly cheap, coming in at around £100 and fit better than I've ever had (though I've had awful suits in the past, so that's not saying a lot) and I felt confident enough in it.

I would ordinarily be happy to splurge quite a bit on some good quality suits etc. but I'm trying to save as much money as possible to go travelling afterwards for six months so would prefer to spend around £500 or so on a couple of suits, shirts, trousers, ties and shoes to keep me going for a summer internship in banking and a six month placement in tax ,with a view to an overhaul once I know where I'm gonna be full-time. Any ideas of good places to go to? Or am I doomed with this budget in mind? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Audemars Piguet, Breguet, A. Lange & Sohne, IWC, Cartier, Chopard, Vacheron Constantin, Zenith, Jaeger le Couture, Blancpain, Ulysse Nardin, Vintage Rolex models, Piaget..

I rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    It's like that anecdote, where a bunch of interns were milling around the MD by the coffee table and he looks down and sees a kid wearing a brand new gold Rolex and says "would you like two sugars in your coffee sir, or just the one?"

Unless it's a family heirloom, I personally think buying a hugely expensive watch just for an internship or even a graduate role is silly. You get one as a heirloom for your kids when you've 'made it'.

loggins, no Arnold & Son in that list? tut tut. You people should really stop going for watches that you can't pronounce (ex. IWC and Cartier).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theblurry1)
    Dunno if anyone has any advice on where to look on the 'cheaper end' of the options. I got a Zara suit for interviews and it seemed alright - it was fairly cheap, coming in at around £100 and fit better than I've ever had (though I've had awful suits in the past, so that's not saying a lot) and I felt confident enough in it.

I would ordinarily be happy to splurge quite a bit on some good quality suits etc. but I'm trying to save as much money as possible to go travelling afterwards for six months so would prefer to spend around £500 or so on a couple of suits, shirts, trousers, ties and shoes to keep me going for a summer internship in banking and a six month placement in tax ,with a view to an overhaul once I know where I'm gonna be full-time. Any ideas of good places to go to? Or am I doomed with this budget in mind? Cheers.
    M&S for suits, TM Lewin/Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts, Jones or CT sale for shoes, probably somewhere like Tie Rack for ties. Probably looking at a little over £500 for a few of each, but it's about as low as I'd go price-wise to still get quality. Just make sure the suits are 100% wool and the ties 100% silk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    loggins, no Arnold & Son in that list? tut tut. You people should really stop going for watches that you can't pronounce (ex. IWC and Cartier).
    Would like to see people pronounce Jaeger LeCoultre...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.