Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    M&S for suits, TM Lewin/Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts, Jones or CT sale for shoes, probably somewhere like Tie Rack for ties. Probably looking at a little over £500 for a few of each, but it's about as low as I'd go price-wise to still get quality. Just make sure the suits are 100% wool and the ties 100% silk
    Thanks for that, very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    M&S for suits, TM Lewin/Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts, Jones or CT sale for shoes, probably somewhere like Tie Rack for ties. Probably looking at a little over £500 for a few of each, but it's about as low as I'd go price-wise to still get quality. Just make sure the suits are 100% wool and the ties 100% silk
    Thanks,

what about Moss for suits and Next for shirts/shoes?

(Original post by LoZEr)
    Thanks,

This is just blatant trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    Thanks,

No. Both are too-low quality and, frankly, awful value for money. TM Lewin do shirts for £25 each, £20 if you're company has a corporate discount. There's no need for anyone with an internship to spend less and thus this should be the minimum quality you're prepared to accept. With shoes while I can understand not wanting to spend the £100 or so that Barker's or decent Jones ones, they really are worth the extra compared to River Island, Next, et. al. Incidentally, M&S do Cheaney and Grenson, which in a sale could be under the £100 mark, as would Barker's on sale. Additionally, with Jones ones, look for the goodyear welt, not ultra-thin fashion soles - the latter won't wear well and mark them out as lower-quality, modern, fashion-conscious shoes, and the City is still a pretty traditional place. With the others this won't be an issue, as they don't do ultra-thin-soled shoes.

As for Moss Bros suits, the drop in quality is very noticable for a pretty small drop in price when compared to M&S. There's no reason for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    loggins, no Arnold & Son in that list? tut tut. You people should really stop going for watches that you can't pronounce (ex. IWC and Cartier).
    Who TF can't pronounce IWC and Cartier?

ReputationRep:
    Who TF can't pronounce IWC and Cartier?
    Excluding IWC and Cartier.

ReputationRep:
    No. Both are too-low quality and, frankly, awful value for money. TM Lewin do shirts for £25 each, £20 if you're company has a corporate discount. There's no need for anyone with an internship to spend less and thus this should be the minimum quality you're prepared to accept. With shoes I can understand not wanting to spend the £100 or so that Barker's or decent Jones ones, they really are worth the extra compared to River Island, Next, et. al. Incidentally, M&S do Cheaney and Grenson, which in a sale could be under the £100 mark, as would Barker's on sale. Additionally, with Jones ones, look for the goodyear welt, not ultra-thin fashion soles - the latter won't wear well and mark them out as lower-quality, modern, fashion-conscious shoes, and the City is still a pretty traditional place. With the others this won't be an issue, as they don't do ultra-thing-soled shoes.

As for Moss Bros suits, the drop in quality is very noticable for a pretty small drop in price when compared to M&S. There's no reason for it.
    wow wasn't expecting that.

I cant actually see anything wrong with this suit

http://www.moss.co.uk/mens-suits/962581909.html

And how can next shirts be bad quality?? They're just shirts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    This is just blatant trolling.
    lol no seriously!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)

Im going to ignore this post for the following reasons. Suits look incredible online and in pictures, especially on mannequins. Reasons? Firstly, they are tapered and tacked so as to fit the mannequin perfectly and very rarely do they fit that well, even the more expensive off the peg ones. Secondly, the material from places like Moss Bros will unlikely be 100% wool, which is a necessity for any decent suit as it holds its shape and quality for longer, and even if it is 100% wool, itll be shoddy quality. You can tell by the cut and the tailoring how long a suit will last before it degrades.

As for the shirt comment. Son, you have a lot to learn. However, i must say, only TM Lewin shirts worth buying are the Slim Fit luxury cotton that are thicker, easier to iron and fit much better. The standard slim fit cotton ones are a pain to iron properly.

Next shirts are for those in 9-5 office jobs. Pink, Lewin (luxury cotton ones anyway) H&C etc are for those that prefer a little more luxury than 'just a work shirt' and with the exception of Pink, cost no more than shirts from Next/M&S etc.

Take our advice, and move away from the shops your mum tells you to go in and which appear good quality. Oh and please dont buy shirts that are too big for you, we dont want you looking like a balloon. Friend at UBS IBD has an hilarious time taking the piss out of interns with baggy shirts.. A well fitting shirt is as important as a well fitting suit. As are decent shoes. Its all part of the same package..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Im going to ignore this post for the following reasons. Suits look incredible online and in pictures, especially on mannequins. Reasons? Firstly, they are tapered and tacked so as to fit the mannequin perfectly and very rarely do they fit that well, even the more expensive off the peg ones. Secondly, the material from places like Moss Bros will unlikely be 100% wool, which is a necessity for any decent suit as it holds its shape and quality for longer, and even if it is 100% wool, itll be shoddy quality. You can tell by the cut and the tailoring how long a suit will last before it degrades.

As for the shirt comment. Son, you have a lot to learn. However, i must say, only TM Lewin shirts worth buying are the Slim Fit luxury cotton that are thicker, easier to iron and fit much better. The standard slim fit cotton ones are a pain to iron properly.

Next shirts are for those in 9-5 office jobs. Pink, Lewin (luxury cotton ones anyway) H&C etc are for those that prefer a little more luxury than 'just a work shirt' and with the exception of Pink, cost no more than shirts from Next/M&S etc.

Take our advice, and move away from the shops your mum tells you to go in and which appear good quality. Oh and please dont buy shirts that are too big for you, we dont want you looking like a balloon. Friend at UBS IBD has an hilarious time taking the piss out of interns with baggy shirts.. A well fitting shirt is as important as a well fitting suit. As are decent shoes. Its all part of the same package..
    It's funny how some people still think that bankers are still like they are depicted in the likes of Liar's Poker and other (great) books.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entrepreneur_NO1)
    It's funny how some people still think that bankers are still like they are depicted in the likes of Liar's Poker and other (great) books.. :rolleyes:
    Meaning? You are either doubting what i said or something equally as retarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    ^^that x1000. Do not buy them unless you plan on getting it dry cleaned each time. Ironing them was like ass rape every ******* morning last summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Meaning? You are either doubting what i said or something equally as retarded.
    No, I'm just laughing at the boasting (of how big and macho your IB friend is).

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm just laughing at the boasting (of how big and macho your IB friend is).
    Sorry, you must know more than him (and myself for that matter). Youve read Liars Poker, Traders Guns and Money, and Damn it feels good. That makes you a bonafide banker who knows the industry.

And yes, it happens. And yes, its ******* hilarious when i watched him do it to some poor kid with a crap fitting shirt. Macho/big.. whatever. Its **** funny. And its a public service, the kid went and bought better shirts for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    ^^that x1000. Do not buy them unless you plan on getting it dry cleaned each time. Ironing them was like ass rape every ******* morning last summer.
    massive error. had to order them off the web cos all the Lewins on Regents didnt have my size in the cutaway collar that i wanted and i didnt read the descriptions carefully enough. Im just gonna buy better quality ones that iron better and pass the thinner cottons one off as ''temporary'' rather than waste the money and get them dry cleaned. Theres noway im going to be arsed to iron them after work in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Sorry, you must know more than him (and myself for that matter). Youve read Liars Poker, Traders Guns and Money, and Damn it feels good. That makes you a bonafide banker who knows the industry.

And yes, it happens. And yes, its ******* hilarious when i watched him do it to some poor kid with a crap fitting shirt. Macho/big.. whatever. Its **** funny. And its a public service, the kid went and bought better shirts for it.
    Nope, I've only read Liar's Poker actually.

Why would it be that funny? "Oh wow, look at the guy with the loose fitting shirt!" .... :confused:

In effect, I bet everyone was laughing at you because you were so far up your "friends" ass. I never knew IB had come as far that interns called their mentors 'friends'...

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I've only read Liar's Poker actually.

Why would it be that funny? "Oh wow, look at the guy with the loose fitting shirt!" .... :confused:

In effect, I bet everyone was laughing at you because you were so far up your "friends" ass. I never knew IB had come as far that interns called their mentors 'friends'...
    Sure. God, everyone on here makes massive assumptions all the time dont they. mentors?! Oh pal.. My ''friend'' as you seem to put it works at UBS in IBD. I can guarantee you 100% he is not my mentor. The thought of it makes me chuckle actually. He's cracking banter and has decent chat and knows his ****, but mentor?! LOL :yep:

Why do kids come on here and try and argue with people that actually know what theyre on about because theyve read a few books and potentially been on a trading floor tour? You, my friend, are in for a very big shock what goes on.. thats of course if you ever make it into banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    Dry clean 5 shirts for £6 is pretty standard around where I live. Despite still being an intern I can value each non-working hour of my week as worth more than £6.

what the consensus on here about hawes & curtis?

Hackett can provide some brilliant inexpensive yet slightly more fashionable shirts if you are heading straight out after work, or if you are in a casual team.
    Fashionable shirts are lame and tacky and for those without any class. Stick to the plain yet classy blues/pinks(not salmon pink please)/whites and blue/white pinstripes (varying thicknesses).

You'll look a million times better in a well fitted good quality plain shirt than any of the 'fashionable' ones. Trust me, dont try and be too clever with your shirts, itll backfire.

H&C? For me, poor fitting. And im not the only one to say so. Even from all types of body shape. They run on a little bit of reputation and the name, theyre not great tbh. Lewin/CT are fine until you can start paying £75+ each for shirts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Sure. God, everyone on here makes massive assumptions all the time dont they. mentors?! Oh pal.. My ''friend'' as you seem to put it works at UBS in IBD. I can guarantee you 100% he is not my mentor. The thought of it makes me chuckle actually. He's cracking banter and has decent chat and knows his ****, but mentor?! LOL :yep:

Why do kids come on here and try and argue with people that actually know what theyre on about because theyve read a few books and potentially been on a trading floor tour? You, my friend, are in for a very big shock what goes on.. thats of course if you ever make it into banking.
    Very ironic, very ironic. I don't want to go into banking. I'm in this forum for the other part So whilst your there watching your, *ahem* "friend" shout not-funny-at all remarks at interns with more brains than him, I'll be trying and probably failing to get into consulting.

And I'm in for a shock with what goes on? Ha, I couldn't give a ****. I don't really mind for people shouting that I have a baggy shirt. I'd shout back something about him being single with no time for women apart from seedy prostitutes and even then he can't get it up due to his alcohol and drug addictions. Oops, I'm going back to the damn books again. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)

Ok, here's a list:

Style-wise, it's one botton, has a slim, peak lapel, low-rise trousers, flapless pockets, single vent and non-working buttons. The latter is entirely forgivable on a suit under £500, the rest are wholly untraditional, to the extent of looking wrong. You can get away with a peak lapel in a well-cut, well-made suit if you feel you carry off a bit of flair, but making it that thing says it's fashion over tradition (and quite frankly over style, IMHO). Especially risky for an intern. The same for one button - very untraditional, indeed many older bankers will see it as plain wrong, but possible to carry off if you've got flair. Low-rise trousers don't ever belong on a suit, as suits are formal and low-rise is for casual trousers. Flapless pockets is less of an issue but still incorrect, as they belong only on formal jackets, and a way of cutting corners. A single vent is similarly less of an issue, though traditionally would only be for sports jackets, as it doesn't hang well and flatter (it was originally made for horse riders who need the gap in the centre for riding a saddle).

Quality-wise, the big issue you notice is the fabric. I very much doubt it's even wool, since Moss Bros would usually state if it were, which will make it go shiny after wearing a little bit. Shiny = tacky. Even if it is, to my eyes it looks awful - a navy herringbone with blue stripe? Then there's the fit, with bad bunching at the back around the shoulders, which is unforgivable when dressing a mannequin, which should be the perfect shape for a suit.

That is a horrible, horrible suit. The least any man should want from their clothes is not to be noticed. That'll be noticed for all the wrong reasons. If you want to save money, definitely keep it simple - a suit made of wool, with a notched lapel, in plain navy or grey (perhaps with a subtle white or off-white stripe), with two or three buttons and trousers that get somewhere relatively-close to the waist (as an aside, I wear mine just below my waist, but still a long way above low-rises). I can't stress that enough. Get that in something that fits and you'll be fine.

(Original post by LoZEr)
    Made of bad material, to a design that doesn't suit formal ties, doesn't flatter the body, with buttons that'll fall off at the drop of a hat and that will likely bobble after a few washes. Shirt quality is less important than suit quality, but it still matters.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.