The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Entrepreneur_NO1
Very ironic, very ironic. I don't want to go into banking. I'm in this forum for the other part :smile: So whilst your there watching your, *ahem* "friend" shout not-funny-at all remarks at interns with more brains than him, I'll be trying and probably failing to get into consulting.

Well i wish you all the luck with that. Shout, oh he doesnt shout, more like actually yanks the shirt. Trust me. Its funny and is playful banter.
JakeF
Well i wish you all the luck with that. Shout, oh he doesnt shout, more like actually yanks the shirt. Trust me. Its funny and is playful banter.

If he does it playfully and with good intentions then I give the guy credit, it would probably be more comforting and welcoming for the intern knowing he can relax around the guys.
You know, he is trolling. He's been on here since 2007. Come on people.

So, Turnbull and Asser...

:smile:
Reply 303
Entrepreneur_NO1
If he does it playfully and with good intentions then I give the guy credit, it would probably be more comforting and welcoming for the intern knowing he can relax around the guys.

Ill let him know you approve of the balloon shirt banter. He'll be well chuffed.
Reply 304
JakeF
As for the shirt comment. Son, you have a lot to learn. However, i must say, only TM Lewin shirts worth buying are the Slim Fit luxury cotton that are thicker, easier to iron and fit much better. The standard slim fit cotton ones are a pain to iron properly.

Next shirts are for those in 9-5 office jobs. Pink, Lewin (luxury cotton ones anyway) H&C etc are for those that prefer a little more luxury than 'just a work shirt' and with the exception of Pink, cost no more than shirts from Next/M&S etc.

This is true, though goes for Pink too. Pink's standard ranges are thin and annoying to iron. However it's not the end of the world - while the shirts I wear more and prefer are the thicker herringbone and luxury ranges (strangely the same price in sales), the others aren't that bad. I prefer Charles Tyrwhitt to both, personally. If you have the money for Pink, go for Turnbull & Asser.

Also, don't put Next and M&S together, there's a significant difference in quality. I'd take TM Lewin over M&S, but only really on style or the luxury ones, as M&S is perfectly decent, if not great and a bit boring. However personally, M&S don't do my size.

JakeF
Take our advice, and move away from the shops your mum tells you to go in and which appear good quality. Oh and please dont buy shirts that are too big for you, we dont want you looking like a balloon. Friend at UBS IBD has an hilarious time taking the piss out of interns with baggy shirts.. A well fitting shirt is as important as a well fitting suit. As are decent shoes. Its all part of the same package..

No it's not. It's important, but the fit of the suit is so much moreso. A shirt just needs to not look too baggy or skintight, a suit has to fit properly.

Prince of Zamunda
^^that x1000. Do not buy them unless you plan on getting it dry cleaned each time. Ironing them was like ass rape every ******* morning last summer.

Come on, it's not that bad, just a minute or so extra care. The Paul Smith shirt I have is easily far worse to iron, though well worth the effort.
Reply 305
President_Ben
You know, he is trolling. He's been on here since 2007. Come on people.

So, Turnbull and Asser...

:smile:

Too 'classic' (for want of a better word) for my taste, but no doubting the quality.
Drogue
If you have the money for Pink, go for Turnbull & Asser.

The difference between 75 a shirt and 115 a shirt is usually enough to make people pause for reasonable thought.
JakeF
Too 'classic' (for want of a better word) for my taste, but no doubting the quality.

Most of their business is the bespoke service so... too classic is a bit hard to see.

The tricky bit is whether you are getting one-offs or actually buying a reasonable number. You get six at a time minimum for their bespoke service.
Reply 308
JakeF
Fashionable shirts are lame and tacky and for those without any class. Stick to the plain yet classy blues/pinks(not salmon pink please)/whites and blue/white pinstripes (varying thicknesses).

You'll look a million times better in a well fitted good quality plain shirt than any of the 'fashionable' ones. Trust me, dont try and be too clever with your shirts, itll backfire.

For formal work, yes. For trading/a relaxed team and something to go out with later, no. Fashionable shirts are for people with class and without a suit, or with a casual suit. For IBD, sales or consulting, stick to the formal shirt and suit. Indeed it's a safe option elsewhere. If it's Friday, you're going out after work and you're in a relaxed team, wear a fashionable (or at least more interesting than plain formal) shirt with something more casual.

JakeF
H&C? For me, poor fitting. And im not the only one to say so. Even from all types of body shape. They run on a little bit of reputation and the name, theyre not great tbh. Lewin/CT are fine until you can start paying £75+ each for shirts.

Tbh, I'd rather have something made with a bit better cotton, which side panels, a collar between their Windsor and their standard, MOP buttons and with better care in the stitching. The higher ranges at CT work, though Harvie & Hudson are a great as an option well below £75 but a step up in quality from CT, and definitely Lewin.
Reply 309
Drogue
This is true, though goes for Pink too. Pink's standard ranges are thin and annoying to iron. However it's not the end of the world - while the shirts I wear more and prefer are the thicker herringbone and luxury ranges (strangely the same price in sales), the others aren't that bad. I prefer Charles Tyrwhitt to both, personally. If you have the money for Pink, go for Turnbull & Asser.

Also, don't put Next and M&S together, there's a significant difference in quality. I'd take TM Lewin over M&S, but only really on style or the luxury ones, as M&S is perfectly decent, if not great and a bit boring. However personally, M&S don't do my size.

No it's not. It's important, but the fit of the suit is so much moreso. A shirt just needs to not look too baggy or skintight, a suit has to fit properly.

Come on, it's not that bad, just a minute or so extra care. The Paul Smith shirt I have is easily far worse to iron, though well worth the effort.

In reality, the amount of time with a suit jacket on is limited when on the floor. Forgive me though, of course a well fitting suit is more important, but im also a firm believer that a poor fitting shirt can make an absolutely fabulous suit look like dross.
Reply 310
JakeF

In what way could they be that and not CT or TM Lewin? Their formal shrits are similar styles, though T&A better made, and they go for colour beyond the plains you recommend.

President_Ben
The difference between 75 a shirt and 115 a shirt is usually enough to make people pause for reasonable thought.

Not if you're wearing a suit, and the £75 (or even £30) shirt is well chosen.
Reply 311
Drogue
For formal work, yes. For trading/a relaxed team and something to go out with later, no. Fashionable shirts are for people with class and without a suit, or with a casual suit. For IBD, sales or consulting, stick to the formal shirt and suit. Indeed it's a safe option elsewhere. If it's Friday, you're going out after work and you're in a relaxed team, wear a fashionable (or at least more interesting than plain formal) shirt with something more casual.

Tbh, I'd rather have something made with a bit better cotton, which side panels, a collar between their Windsor and their standard, MOP buttons and with better care in the stitching. The higher ranges at CT work, though Harvie & Hudson are a great as an option well below £75 but a step up in quality from CT, and definitely Lewin.

Ill admit defeat here on the trading/relaxed team part. For some reason, im picturing those awful patterned 'fashionable' shirts that here there and everywhere sell. Sorry for that!
Reply 312
JakeF
In reality, the amount of time with a suit jacket on is limited when on the floor. Forgive me though, of course a well fitting suit is more important, but im also a firm believer that a poor fitting shirt can make an absolutely fabulous suit look like dross.

Only when you take the jacket off, though yes. However when you take the jacket off, you're not in a meeting, so why would you care? You'll have the jacket on for all the times dress matters: first impressions and important meetings.

Also, I really hope you mean on a hanger, not the floor. Floors will wreck even top-notch suits. Sadly I'd know :frown:
Reply 313
President_Ben
Most of their business is the bespoke service so... too classic is a bit hard to see.

The tricky bit is whether you are getting one-offs or actually buying a reasonable number. You get six at a time minimum for their bespoke service.

Nah, when it comes to bespoke is when the classic or not bit becomes more apparent, with T&A. They make shirts in a classic way, so if you want non-classic style, don't go bespoke there. It's like Anderson and Sheppard - if you don't like their style, don't go bespoke there, but their RTW and MTM are much less defined in that way.
Reply 314
Drogue
In what way could they be that and not CT or TM Lewin? Their formal shrits are similar styles, though T&A better made, and they go for colour beyond the plains you recommend.

Fair point. Your knowledge of shirts is a little superior to mine. Unfortunately, im not quite at a level to order bespoke shirts, not from the UK anyway. Have an absolute corker that was M2M from Honkers when i was there in the summer though.
Drogue

Not if you're wearing a suit, and the £75 (or even £30) shirt is well chosen.

I meant the difference for the people buying them.

You can see how hard up all the young students are here...
Drogue

Also, I really hope you mean on a hanger, not the floor. Floors will wreck even top-notch suits. Sadly I'd know :frown:

Now you're trolling us :wink:

Trading floor, naturally.

Button collar!

Next thing you'll tell me that you wear Kenneth Cole **** and have a Blackberry that is 4 years old...
Reply 318
President_Ben
Button collar!

Next thing you'll tell me that you wear Kenneth Cole **** and have a Blackberry that is 4 years old...

Oh ****. Why didnt i think of this when i saw button collar, i had nothing :frown:
JakeF
Oh ****. Why didnt i think of this when i saw button collar, i had nothing :frown:

He's probably got ONE suit and he got it from Mens Warehouse...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending