Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by JakeF)
    Oh ****. Why didnt i think of this when i saw button collar, i had nothing
    He's probably got ONE suit and he got it from Mens Warehouse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Button collar!

Next thing you'll tell me that you wear Kenneth Cole **** and have a Blackberry that is 4 years old...
    While I don't wear any, I think a button collar looks pretty good with a casual suit or jacket. Probably not for work, but if you go for that look, they're good options, and it's a good look outside the office.

But then, you'd know this if you could do quantitative and qualitative research...

ReputationRep:
    Take this mouse and get back to making 60k a year..

(Original post by Drogue)
    While I don't wear any, I think a button collar looks pretty good with a casual suit or jacket. Probably not for work, but if you go for that look, they're good options, and it's a good look outside the office.

But then, you'd know this if you could do quantitative and qualitative research...
    Essential viewing for anyone who wants to understand some of the banter in here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROlDmux7Tk4

It's a terrible look everywhere. Just like gingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Take this mouse and get back to making 60k a year..
    That 60k a year is why I wear bespoke suits and handmade Northampton shoes and still have the time and money to eat some spectacular food.

It's a terrible look everywhere. Just like gingham.
    Yee of little flair. You can rock an OBDC shirt just as surely as you can rock a cardigan. It requires flair and/or a good jacket, but it can look relaxed while still a set smarter than true fashion shirts or other tops.

ReputationRep:
    That 60k a year is why I wear bespoke suits and handmade Northampton shoes and still have the time and money to eat some spectacular food.
    60k dorra you certainly would struggle.

Button collar!

Next thing you'll tell me that you wear Kenneth Cole **** and have a Blackberry that is 4 years old...
    button downs are standard. uh, maybe its a school thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    button downs are standard. uh, maybe its a school thing...
    even in school, button downs were never cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    60k dorra you certainly would struggle.
    No, I really don't.

No kids, no drug habits etc.

If we let 60k USD = 40k GBP, that still puts one in the top 10% of the country or 20% of London, I suppose, for income.

Now, if you want to buy a property... London gets weird. You then need wealth and you're up against a global floating cream.

ReputationRep:
    button collar is horrible everywhere.

btw I'm guessing you'll never get away with double cuff on the job? What about if you put those little frilly things in to downplay them? What about at interviews, does anyone care?

Also does anyone have an austin reed shirt? Their suits are decent but I think the shirts arn't too bad either, a lot better than Lewin in my experience.

(Original post by Breadster™)

btw I'm guessing you'll never get away with double cuff on the job? What about if you put those little frilly things in to downplay them? What about at interviews, does anyone care?

Also does anyone have an austin reed shirt? Their suits are decent but I think the shirts arn't too bad either, a lot better than Lewin in my experience.
    Double cuff is always fine. Although, I'm a compulsive sleeve roll up person once I'm in a state of 'comfort'.

This makes my cuff links that are several hundred pounds especially odd. Hm.

ReputationRep:
    No kids, no drug habits etc.

If we let 60k USD = 40k GBP, that still puts one in the top 10% of the country or 20% of London, I suppose, for income.

Now, if you want to buy a property... London gets weird. You then need wealth and you're up against a global floating cream.
    Not quite true. I could buy my flat if Helen let me, which is a nice 2-bed, technically penthouse, on the canal in a nice area ~4 mins walk from the Jubilee Line, ~20 mins from Bond Street, ~10 mins from Borough Market and ~10 mins from Canary Wharf.

Add kids, lots of clubbing and drug habits and I'd need more. As it is I'm very comfortable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breadster™)

Button collars and double cuffs are one of those Atlantic divide things.

In the US, the former are standard, the latter not. Here it's the other way around.

The "frilly things" (silk knots) are unacceptable at all times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    Button collars and double cuffs are one of those Atlantic divide things.

In the US, the former are standard, the latter not. Here it's the other way around.

The "frilly things" (silk knots) are unacceptable at all times.
    Silk knots unacceptable? They're the most classic thing to close your double cuffs with! Obviously they're not the only option, but entirely acceptable. So long as they don't class in a bad way.

ReputationRep:
    Silk knots unacceptable? They're the most classic thing to close your double cuffs with! Obviously they're not the only option, but entirely acceptable. So long as they don't class in a bad way.
    I just despise them. Sadly in the minority. Once I'm partner I shall reject all interviewees with silk knots until the message sticks.

Not quite true. I could buy my flat if Helen let me, which is a nice 2-bed, technically penthouse, on the canal in a nice area ~4 mins walk from the Jubilee Line, ~20 mins from Bond Street, ~10 mins from Borough Market and ~10 mins from Canary Wharf.

Add kids, lots of clubbing and drug habits and I'd need more. As it is I'm very comfortable
    You have that much in savings? Mortgages are still loose? Or what is the rough price of the property?

ReputationRep:
    You have that much in savings? Mortgages are still loose? Or what is the rough price of the property?
    Ish, no but doable, and I'd guess somewhere in the £250k area, possibly a little more. Would have help from parents with the deposit to get a lower rate, but I'd be paying them back along with the mortgage, so it'd effectively be an extra loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Sarcasm? Dawg you're evidently on a different intellectual level, I'm not going to get embroiled in a war of words with you regarding class and sartorial elegance... Peace. :awesome:
    So you respond - lacking the rapacious wit intended, sadly - then leave anonymous negative rep, instead?

Classier still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bornfishy)
    So you respond - lacking the rapacious wit intended, sadly - then leave anonymous negative rep, instead?

Classier still.
    Firstly, it could have been anyone. Secondly, coming back onto the same thread to whine about it, brilliant. I'm done with this now anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.