Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by convertyourbond)
    Does anyone else find that TM Lewin slim fit double cuff shirts have overly baggy sleeves? Could i get this tailored somehow?
    Not easily at all. Far easier to buy shirts from somewhere else.

Looking at this thread, I'm wondering what the associate 'wardrobe' thread would be like.

And this thread is excessively covered with natter about spring week kids and interns.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find that TM Lewin slim fit double cuff shirts have overly baggy sleeves? Could i get this tailored somehow?
    For a similar budget - try Harvie and Hudson (Slim fit) and Charles Tyrwhitt (Black Label or Tailored Fit) both on Jermyn Street.

These stories of impossible to iron shirts are a bit weird... I'd actually like some proof of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    These stories of impossible to iron shirts are a bit weird... I'd actually like some proof of it.
    Admittedly, i doubt mine and most peoples ironing skills are not up to the standard that we have previously been accustomed to back when our mummys did it for us :yep: but im no spacka and can iron okay. I can spend 10 mins on a thinner TM shirt, looks perfectly ironed, hang it up, 10mins later, creases start to appear, and once its been worn for like an hour, just looks live ive slept in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breadster™)
    button collar is horrible everywhere.

btw I'm guessing you'll never get away with double cuff on the job? What about if you put those little frilly things in to downplay them? What about at interviews, does anyone care?

Also does anyone have an austin reed shirt? Their suits are decent but I think the shirts arn't too bad either, a lot better than Lewin in my experience.
    Afaik double cuffs are fine, although I'd stick with plain and simple for interviews tbh.

I have a few Austin Reed shirts and I find them very good :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Double cuffs arent a problem at all. Thats an American/Wall St thing. Most of the time i just roll them up anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at this thread, I'm wondering what the associate 'wardrobe' thread would be like.

And this thread is excessively covered with natter about spring week kids and interns.
    Quieter I imagine :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    IBD/Sales: which Savile Row tailor. All the other questions are pretty much answered (at least, will be in a banker's mind - Cleaverley, Berluti or JL Paris shoe, for example, as they're more exotic/closer than Edward Green or Gaziano and Girling).
    Trading: Same as this thread, I'd imagine, for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    Do CT have the same ironing problems as TM?

Cuz I second what was mentioned previously, last time I tried I spent 30 mins on just one side of a sleeve. Would rather masturbate with sandpaper than go through that experience again.
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Admittedly, i doubt mine and most peoples ironing skills are not up to the standard that we have previously been accustomed to back when our mummys did it for us :yep: but im no spacka and can iron okay. I can spend 10 mins on a thinner TM shirt, looks perfectly ironed, hang it up, 10mins later, creases start to appear, and once its been worn for like an hour, just looks live ive slept in it.
    What are you guys doing?! I mean sure, it takes a minute or two extra to iron thinner shirts as you need to be more careful not the iron in creases, but 30 mins on one shirt and looking like it's been slept in when worn for an hour?! I find my shirts get even better when wearing, as my body heat keeps the creases out (except underarms and elbow joint, as you'd expect. Also, without thinner shirts, what would you wear in the summer?

ReputationRep:
    Who irons their own shirts anyway? I just send them 10 at a time to a dry cleaners every fortnight or so. Costs less than £20 and saves a chunk of my Sunday evenings!

ReputationRep:
    Double cuff is always fine. Although, I'm a compulsive sleeve roll up person once I'm in a state of 'comfort'.

This makes my cuff links that are several hundred pounds especially odd. Hm.
    Agreed.

Button collars are for obnoxious jocks. Nobody in London with any dignity wears them.

Double Cuff is the only style of shirt to own.

Rolled sleeves is standard during the day. Cufflinks spend their time keeping my money draw warm.

ReputationRep:
    You know, he is trolling. He's been on here since 2007. Come on people.

So, Turnbull and Asser...

I'm not trolling, I actually own that suit (but in black), along with my next shirt (which doesn't even need ironing) and shoes. I thought it looked good tbh. My problem is hardly any suits fit me properly and I hate them baggy. This slim one (size 38) from moss fitted me perfectly.

I wore it to 7 interviews, 4 of which I was interviewed by sales people (including MDs). No one said anything bad about it, in fact 1 guy said I looked good as a sales guy, although I'm pretty sure I want to go into trading

But anyway, thanks to Drogue I know a bit more about suits and shirts now and will get them changed.

Btw whats bad about slim fit suits/shirts again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    *Waiting for that picture of PB wearing a shirt 3 sizes too big him to appear again*

ReputationRep:
    So tempted to post the link :rofl:. Sorry Ben...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attach....

*jokes*!

To be 5 years younger...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    I'm not trolling, I actually own that suit (but in black), along with my next shirt (which doesn't even need ironing) and shoes. I thought it looked good tbh. My problem is hardly any suits fit me properly and I hate them baggy. This slim one (size 38) from moss fitted me perfectly.

I wore it to 7 interviews, 4 of which I was interviewed by sales people (including MDs). No one said anything bad about it, in fact 1 guy said I looked good as a sales guy, although I'm pretty sure I want to go into trading
    I'm a bit shocked with that comment in a black suit. But it shoes how much fit matters.

(Original post by LoZEr)
    Nothing, so long as they fit you. Though a waisted suit is better than a slim fit suit - waisted ones are pulled in at the waist to accentuate the figure which pretty much has to be done by a tailor, whereas slim fit ones are slim all over to fit skinny people.

I reckon they were cheeky piss takers in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    So how are you guys going to be voting (if at all) this coming election?

Am asking here as this seems to be as close to a general chat thread as this forum has :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    So how are you guys going to be voting (if at all) this coming election?

Am asking here as this seems to be as close to a general chat thread as this forum has :holmes:
    Undecided as of yet, one won't win and the other I'm only thinking about because I believe they can keep the economy (just) going. You?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.