Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entrepreneur_NO1)
    Undecided as of yet, one won't win and the other I'm only thinking about because I believe they can keep the economy (just) going. You?
    Conservative most likely. I would say that overall I'm probably more Lib Dem, but as far as the economy goes it's the Tories who have my vote (and the economy is for me the biggest deciding factor).

Also if I have to spend 4 more years looking at Gordon Brown (who I don't recall anyone ever voting for :curious:) and Alistair Darling I'll emmigrate.

This is quite a handy website for finding out which party's policies you agree with the most, apparently I'm 40% Lib Dem, and 20% Tory, Labour and UKIP (I apparently agree with UKIP about education :dontknow:).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Conservative most likely. I would say that overall I'm probably more Lib Dem, but as far as the economy goes it's the Tories who have my vote (and the economy is for me the biggest deciding factor).

Also if I have to spend 4 more years looking at Gordon Brown (who I don't recall anyone ever voting for :curious:) and Alistair Darling I'll emmigrate.

This is quite a handy website for finding out which party's policies you agree with the most, apparently I'm 40% Lib Dem, and 20% Tory, Labour and UKIP (I apparently agree with UKIP about education :dontknow:).
    Some of UKIP's policies are actually quite good! If they were a larger party, I would of voted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entrepreneur_NO1)
    Some of UKIP's policies are actually quite good! If they were a larger party, I would of voted.
    Their irrational anti-Europe stance irritates me. Plus I could never vote for a party that had Kilroy as a frontman :plz2:

That policy test was funny though. Every time a policy bashed Europe it was obviously UKIP, and everytime a policy said 'politically correct' it was obviously the BNP :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    So how are you guys going to be voting (if at all) this coming election?

Am asking here as this seems to be as close to a general chat thread as this forum has :holmes:
    Centre Party of course

But for the real-life election, Lib Dem. I'd consider voting anyone-but-Tory on the economy alone, as I think an emergency budget to slash spending is economic suicide for the country, though I'm also old enough to remember how appallingly underfunded schools were in 1997. Having said that, Labour seem to keep throwing money at problems and I think the Lib Dem's ideas for reform of public services are good, not to mention the sensible raising of the tax free allowance. I don't think it goes anywhere near far enough, but it's much better than the Tories' or Labour's ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Centre Party of course

But for the real-life election, Lib Dem. I'd consider voting anyone-but-Tory on the economy alone, as I think an emergency budget to slash spending is economic suicide for the country, though I'm also old enough to remember how appallingly underfunded schools were in 1997. Having said that, Labour seem to keep throwing money at problems and I think the Lib Dem's ideas for reform of public services are good, not to mention the sensible raising of the tax free allowance. I don't think it goes anywhere near far enough, but it's much better than the Tories' or Labour's ideas.
    £2500 max cash bonus and rest paid in shares redeemable after only 5 years? Open admittance of the result that the City will shrink and lose talent?

Disgustingly populist, and shocking business/economics, especially from Vince Cable.

ReputationRep:
    Centre Party of course

And of course the Tory plans for the FSA, seeing as you work there, right Drogue? :p:

Seriously though, looking at the Tories and Labour, the Lib Dems don't seem a bad option. Although, I love in an area of London which will always vote Tory no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    None of the parties really appeals

Lib Dem - populist
    Labour - stupid
    Tories - swinging back to their roots with stupid policies

The plans for the FSA have no bearing on my vote, I'm not fussed about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipz)
    And of course the Tory plans for the FSA, seeing as you work there, right Drogue? :p:
    Changing the name to the BoE doesn't really bother me, tbh. It's a slightly silly move, regulation-wise, but as an employee it doesn't matter. Their promise to pay us more is more of an incentive

(Original post by JakeF)
    £2500 max cash bonus and rest paid in shares redeemable after only 5 years? Open admittance of the result that the City will shrink and lose talent?

Disgustingly populist, and shocking business/economics, especially from Vince Cable.
    Populist, yes, but I'm actually a fan of restricting the way bonuses are paid, as long as they can be any size. Short term bonuses give incentives that are at odds with financial stability, a huge negative externality.

However IMHO, those policies are vastly less important than what they want to do with the macro economy, education, healthcare and tax. I'm more annoyed about the Lib Dems linking pensions back to earnings (unsustainable) and reforming the House of Lords (more government by popular whim).

ReputationRep:
    Centre Party of course

I'm voting anyone-but-Labour tbh. I really don't think the Lib Dems are going to do it, and even if they did I don't have the confidence that they're ready to actually run the country.

But yeah. Really hate Labour in its current state

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I'm voting anyone-but-Labour tbh. I really don't think the Lib Dems are going to do it, and even if they did I don't have the confidence that they're ready to actually run the country.

But yeah. Really hate Labour in its current state
    What's so bad about them? I mean compared to a Tory party that was wrong about everything banking and economy-wise for the last few years: they said in 2004 that mortgages were overregulated and the FSA should stop regulating them, yet the only reason the UK housing market didn't cause the issues the US sub-prime one did was because sub-prime was regulated here; they opposed the stimulus that worked, meaning that despite being far more reliant on banking than other large countries we've recovered as well; and they propose cuts now before we have a secure recovery that the majority of economists, especially the recognised top ones, oppose.

But either way, it's not about whether the Lib Dems could run the country, they won't alone. A vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for a hung parliament, forcing one of the parties to compromise towards Lib Dem policies to form a government. IMHO that's the best outcome, as it could stop the worse stupidities of both Tories and Labour.

ReputationRep:
    What's so bad about them? I mean compared to a Tory party that was wrong about everything banking and economy-wise for the last few years: they said in 2004 that mortgages were overregulated and the FSA should stop regulating them, yet the only reason the UK housing market didn't cause the issues the US sub-prime one did was because sub-prime was regulated here; they opposed the stimulus that worked, meaning that despite being far more reliant on banking than other large countries we've recovered as well; and they propose cuts now before we have a secure recovery that the majority of economists, especially the recognised top ones, oppose.

But either way, it's not about whether the Lib Dems could run the country, they won't alone. A vote for the Lib Dems is a vote for a hung parliament, forcing one of the parties to compromise towards Lib Dem policies to form a government. IMHO that's the best outcome, as it could stop the worse stupidities of both Tories and Labour.
    Hmmm maybe you're right, I just don't feel right risking Labour staying in power.

They should have the same thing they had for the mayoral elections, where you had a first and second choice vote :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    They should have the same thing they had for the mayoral elections, where you had a first and second choice vote :beard:
    A Labour and Lib Dem policy (well, as alternative vote and STV methods)

ReputationRep:
    A Labour and Lib Dem policy (well, as alternative vote and STV methods)
    Probably because the Tory's know it wouldn't be good for them :mmm:

Great now I'm undecided again. I guess that shows how unhappy I am with the only 3 options if I can be so easily swayed by the tinternets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    Probably because the Tory's know it wouldn't be good for them :mmm:

Great now I'm undecided again. I guess that shows how unhappy I am with the only 3 options if I can be so easily swayed by the tinternets
    Me too, at least in the sense that I've been a pretty solid New Labour supporter since '97 and now find myself moving away to an option I have serious misgivings about, but still feel is preferable

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaning towards the Lib Dems i.e. a hung parliament, coz each party has a lot of **** I don't agree with.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Slightly off-topic but on-topic at the same time... but anyway.)

Talking about having decent shoes, how do you 'best' look after them so they last as long as is possible? Is it worth getting a protective rubber sole added, or does this detract from the shoe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Talking about having decent shoes, how do you 'best' look after them so they last as long as is possible? Is it worth getting a protective rubber sole added, or does this detract from the shoe?
    I do, it certainly makes them last longer, as the soles will wear quickest, and while you can replace them, this is very distressing for the shoe. The other key things are to rotate shoes (never wear a pair two days running, ideally never more than once or twice a week), keep them with shoe trees in and polish them regularly.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone used a company called Savile Row Custom Tailors, based in Bangkok? http://www.savilerowcustomtailors.com/

I know the name is exceptionally cheesy, but my friend can't say enough good things about them, and they are coming to Nottingham to do a fitting for him. I'm quite tempted to go along too, as I'm going to need some nice suits before starting work in September.

They seem to be considerably cheaper than London-based tailors, but with them being based abroad I'm wary of it being a bit of a scam or cutting corners. A Google search seems to reveal only good things, though. So if any of you have primary or secondary experience I'd be glad to hear what you thought.

(Original post by crafty bison)
    Has anyone used a company called Savile Row Custom Tailors, based in Bangkok? http://www.savilerowcustomtailors.com/

I know the name is exceptionally cheesy, but my friend can't say enough good things about them, and they are coming to Nottingham to do a fitting for him. I'm quite tempted to go along too, as I'm going to need some nice suits before starting work in September.

They seem to be considerably cheaper than London-based tailors, but with them being based abroad I'm wary of it being a bit of a scam or cutting corners. A Google search seems to reveal only good things, though. So if any of you have primary or secondary experience I'd be glad to hear what you thought.
    if you trust your friend to judge the quality of a suit, and he recommends them. go for it.

remember that their email address is a GMAIL account, and their address is apparently in a hotel, if they really are so amazing - surely they would be able to afford a more professional email/website.

Savile Row Custom Tailors | Rose Hotel | 118 Suriwongse Road | Bangkok, 10500
    P: (02) 2354427, (+66) 858441307, (+66) 849998760 | E: [email protected]

I understand that things are done differently in developing countries, but meh.

ReputationRep:
    Crafty, I have a suit made a visiting tailor and I'm not that impressed.

If you don't want to spend the £2.5k + on Saville Row, then I have heard very good things about George of Haringey. Have a look on styleforum.net and askandyaboutclothes.com - there are a few threads written by people who have had suits made by him. I think you're looking somewhere around the £600 mark for decent fabric, which isn't too bad for the level of service and detail.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.