Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    Looks pretty expensive shop (then again I am not well informed about suits). How much you are going to pay for there?
    It'd be around 1k as bespoke. You may be able to pick up that specific suit off the rack though. The cost will probably mean I don't go for it tbh.

The shop is generally expensive but they do good sales. I got a polo reduced from £150 to 35 in the summer sale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    It'd be around 1k as bespoke. You may be able to pick up that specific suit off the rack though. The cost will probably mean I don't go for it tbh.

The shop is generally expensive but they do good sales. I got a polo reduced from £150 to 35 in the summer sale.

Hmmm bit too expensive for my taste now. I got my from T.M Lewin where they offer sales of £250 (Original £500-550 suits) that can be tailored but costs £16+ more. They have lot of sales there though may not be everyones taste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    I don't have anything against Hermes, I think their ties and belts are actually pretty sweet.
    Ermenegildo Zegna ties are better than Hermes ones........

ReputationRep:
    and there was me thinking I could kit myself out by going M&S....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    Hmmm bit too expensive for my taste now. I got my from T.M Lewin where they offer sales of £250 (Original £500-550 suits) that can be tailored but costs £16+ more. They have lot of sales there though may not be everyones taste.
    Yeah I've got a TM Lewin one. It is nice. Think I picked it up for 175 down from 500 before internship (not in banking) last year.

Tailored is obviously a bit different to a made-to-measure suit.

Tbh I think blowing a grand on a suit is probably a bit out of my reach too, yeah the starting salary is good, should be getting a bonus of ~20k, but if I'm not using the jacket/wearing a tie there seems little point.

Will completely depend on the desk/bank culture as to the specific dress code, and I obviously won't find that out properly until I'm there. In BarCap for example my friend had to wear a full suit and tie every day as a structurer, but another desk was far less formal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    Yeah I've got a TM Lewin one. It is nice. Think I picked it up for 175 down from 500 before internship (not in banking) last year.

Tailored is obviously a bit different to a made-to-measure suit.

Tbh I think blowing a grand on a suit is probably a bit out of my reach too, yeah the starting salary is good, should be getting a bonus of ~20k, but if I'm not using the jacket/wearing a tie there seems little point.

Will completely depend on the desk/bank culture as to the specific dress code, and I obviously won't find that out properly until I'm there. In BarCap for example my friend had to wear a full suit and tie every day as a structurer, but another desk was far less formal.
    That's true, I would hold off buying too much until you know which desk you will end up permanently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unsung_hero)
    and there was me thinking I could kit myself out by going M&S....
    Chin up, kid. Real bankers wear whatever they want to wear (see my original post on p.1).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitoburo)
    I find Zegna ties a bit...mature. Great suits though from what I've seen.

ReputationRep:

I have a Zegna suit...bought it for Uni interviews, did the job too. Lovely suit, try to wear when the opportunity presents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    I have a Zegna suit...bought it for Uni interviews, did the job too. Lovely suit, try to wear when the opportunity presents.

Oxbridge Dons didn't really strike me as the fashion savvy type lol.

ReputationRep:
    My whole wardrobe is actually a bit "mature".

Zegna suits are very nice, but I think that a Armani charcoal pinstripe suit is still the top for formal events and a Hugo Boss (SS) black one for clubbing/parties/etc..

BTW, for everyday life, any suit (no black, no brown) that cost around €400-500 (€200-300 with discounts) is fine...

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you guys got anything more interesting to spend your money on rather than £1000 suits and £200 ties? If you're good you can turn up in a £200 suit...

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of these guys?

www.asuitthatffits.com

ReputationRep:
    Just buy cheap suits that fit you well...you can buy a well fitting suit for less than GBP 350

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitoburo)
    Quite.

The problem is Zegna make some of the world's most horrific ties on the planet. Black and white in my books, they either nail it, or look like a turd attached to a shirt. I venture into Zegna stores whenever I can, but once in a blue moon do I find a tie I like.

Hermes on the other hand, far more consistent in producing sexy ties.

Alas, I don't even get to wear one

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you can get a suit that makes you look like a pompous w*nker for much less than £300. I buy my suits from Moss or Debenhams, all under a £100, and they do the job fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    I'm pretty sure you can get a suit that makes you look like a pompous w*nker for much less than £300. I buy my suits from Moss or Debenhams, all under a £100, and they do the job fine.

...you're an A Level student aren't you? What 'job' are your clothes doing for you?

ReputationRep:
    ...you're an A Level student aren't you? What 'job' are your clothes doing for you?
    No, I'm not an A level student. I work in an asset management firm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    No, I'm not an A level student. I work in an asset management firm.
    Have you been to uni yet?

ReputationRep:
    Have you been to uni yet?
    I'm at uni.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.