Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimi Haze)
    After I went round Jeremyn street - going on the shirts from Pink/TM and Charles Tyrwhitt... H&H seemed to be the best fit on me followed by CT - although didn't go near the Pink Imperial ones which are supposed to be very good shirt.

H&H still wasn't that expensive, guess you're paying £33 for a shirt instead of £25 (3 for 99 rather than 4 for 100) but fit and quality did seem nicer.
    What kind of build are you, IYDMMA?

ReputationRep:
    After I went round Jeremyn street - going on the shirts from Pink/TM and Charles Tyrwhitt... H&H seemed to be the best fit on me followed by CT - although didn't go near the Pink Imperial ones which are supposed to be very good shirt.

H&H still wasn't that expensive, guess you're paying £33 for a shirt instead of £25 (3 for 99 rather than 4 for 100) but fit and quality did seem nicer.
    Yeh, I rate H&H very highly for value. Sadly they don't have a Canary Wharf shop though, so not as convenient at CT or TML.

(Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    How much are T&A shirts? I'm guessing £150-£200ish? They're quite shy about the prices on their website
    Around £80-120 or so, IIRC, off-the-peg. You can get their bespoke for £150-200, though you need to order 6 IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of build are you, IYDMMA?
    I'm quite short in height - but have very broad shoulders given my height.

Needed a shirt that still fit round the shoulders but didn't come down like a sack of potatoes round my torso (i.e. a little more slim fitting).

One CT brand worked very well actually, think it was the tailored fit or black label I believe...

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite short in height - but have very broad shoulders given my height.

Needed a shirt that still fit round the shoulders but didn't come down like a sack of potatoes round my torso (i.e. a little more slim fitting).

One CT brand worked very well actually, think it was the tailored fit or black label I believe...
    Black Label, it's their proper slim-fit, with darts in the back. CT's slim fit isn't as slim as others, which is great if (like most people) you're between true slim fit and classic fit, but left a whole for those who wanted the truly slim fit shirts so they launched the black label.

ReputationRep:
    Where's a good place to get a wool/cashmere overcoat for the winter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I wouldn't. The quality is no better than TM Lewin (unless you buy Pink's thicker weaves) and they're a lot more expensive. Pink is pretty well renowned for being bad value for money, as they charge H&H or even close to T&A prices without the quality, either of fabric or of workmanship. Not that they're bad shirts - I have a couple that I love - but they're overpriced for what they are so there's always a better option.
    I disagree on this point. I find TM Lewin's shirts coarse, uncomfortable and unironable.

I got a few Thomas Pink slim fit shirts which I've found to be considerably better, though yes they were about 3x the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    I disagree on this point. I find TM Lewin's shirts coarse, uncomfortable and unironable.

I got a few Thomas Pink slim fit shirts which I've found to be considerably better, though yes they were about 3x the price.
    What about CT shirts? Are they any better than TML?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if anyone else is in this position, but my neck is pretty massive for my size. Some 16''+ at 5'8'' and lets say 32'' waist. If I ever buy shirts for neck size, I'm wearing a parachute, no thanks. Bought some in Zara before as sometimes I can close the top button... It's not an issue once I can stroll around with no tie, but anyone with a similar problem and/or know of somewhere for people who also have beef neck syndrome? ty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)

This is true of their normal shirts, though their luxury ones are much, much nicer, and even theirn Lewin 100 ones are a big improvement. However this problem isn't just with TML ones - one Pink shirt I have has the same thin fabric that makes it very difficult to iron. It's only the nicer Pink ones, like the nicer TML ones, that avoid this. But with both the quality of fabric and stitching is a significant way below the other Jermyn St. shirtmakers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompazr)
    Not sure if anyone else is in this position, but my neck is pretty massive for my size. Some 16''+ at 5'8'' and lets say 32'' waist. If I ever buy shirts for neck size, I'm wearing a parachute, no thanks. Bought some in Zara before as sometimes I can close the top button... It's not an issue once I can stroll around with no tie, but anyone with a similar problem and/or know of somewhere for people who also have beef neck syndrome? ty
    Getting them made to measure is the only sure fire way, but something like CT Black Label or ultra-slim fit shirts from some shirtmakers would be about as good as you can get off the peg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompazr)
    Similar problem here. I get some shirts from asia, as chiense and japanese seem to make shirts that fit me a lot better, but tend to be a bit short on the arms. But i'd also liek to know where i can get that kinda shirts in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Thursday.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise there was a new page of replies. I was responding to the user asking me when I was being visited by the tailors!

ReputationRep:
    Where's a good place to get a wool/cashmere overcoat for the winter?
    August-September.

For coat-buying you're either very early or very late. Autumn/Winter wear is best purchased late Summer to early Autumn. Or on the 27th December if you're a cheap son of a *****.

ReputationRep:
    So I interned last summer (IBD) and a girls' wardrobe is even more of a minefield than for the men!
    Acording to the VP in my team - I did 'ok' for an intern - suffice to say she took me out shopping last week.
    This was the advice she gave me -
    -Boss suits are absolutley fab (for the pitch you finally get to carry the books to)
    -Reiss suits are also great / standard analyst
    I found some lovely ones, but am in between sizes at reiss at the moment which is annoying as their sizes are half a size bigger than most stores. Well fitting is so important
    -When going for skirts, knee length, just below the knee is a must, its slimming and will prevent too much attention (this was her main criticism of my intern wardrobe - my shirts were 2 inches above the knee or so)
    -Trousers can be your friend, I hate them, but had a bit of an ephiany when i tried some nice ones one - can make you look very professional and add inches to the leggs with some good heels. Straight leg can give a fantastic sihlioutte too
    - Shirts are fine, but they make you look young, and if like me you have a bit of a what some might call a "rah" accent, don't always go down that well. Fit is again important, Lewin (go down a size) I think are OK for girls, stick to the plain colours though none of their Jazzy designs! but pink and suprisingly brooks brothers are better. If larger busted or over a size 12 avoid as you will look crumpled/pull at certain places
    -Blouses are better, nice silk blouses look great and classic, cream, grey, even a bright colour can look nice
    - if you go sleeveless/caped make sure there is NO sign of a bra on show!! This is so important. Oh and have very good arms.
    -Dresses are great, esp if you are going out after, can be difficult to get a good one, I oddly found a lovely one in french connection recently. All about fit. Bodycon is a no no, be wary on lenght.
    -Shoes, I went 4 inches on my internship and was named enderaingly bambi(! - not cool) - go 2-3inches, obvs have flats if you are going to walk anywhere for a long period. Try to go classic court or patent, always have leather soul.
    -Bags, Mulbury is standard, either thier classic tote or the Alexis is normal. Longchamp is also a good one and cheap but i found did segregate me into a bit of an "oxbridge camp"
    I was advised 2-3 suits, a skirt and dress and a trouser suit, then a range of separates.
    Unlike for boys Black actually goes down well on girls, dark grey is brill too, and if you are the navy type it can look lovely. Light grey can be nice in the summer too - but hard to get right.
    Stock of good tights is essential, if you go nude make sure you get the right shade - don't always be too snobish on this I found the best ones for me were actually from boots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    August-September.

For coat-buying you're either very early or very late. Autumn/Winter wear is best purchased late Summer to early Autumn. Or on the 27th December if you're a cheap son of a *****.
    New Year sales are good in my experience. 20% off a Canali overcoat. I think the greater challenge with buying overcoats is finding one that hangs well on your frame and sits over a suit. People neglect the fit on overcoats; why, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Button cuffs or double cuffs in the city?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    Combination of the two, doesn't really matter. I've heard of analysts not wearing double cuffs for fear of getting ahead of themselves in terms of position, but I've seen no evidence of VPs/EDs thinking analysts with double cuffs as bigshot wannabes.

ReputationRep:
    95% of people wear double cuffs...not a status thing at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samoan)
    95% of people wear double cuffs...not a status thing at all.
    There are marked differences between NY and London dress codes. Its been said before, on this thread i do believe, but its pretty standard for double cuffs to be UK norm, and then in the States, button collar and button cuff. No idea why the difference, must just be a culture thing.

Personally, im a fan of double cuffs.

ReputationRep:
    In banking double cuffs are standard, but in consulting many people wear button cuffs. Not because there's anything wrong with double cuffs, but because cuff-links rattle on the edge of your laptop.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.