Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Don't mind tassels on a pair of golf shoes, or even on a pair of suede driving shoes at the weekend, but on a pair of Brogues for work...
    On brogues is weird.

But tassle loafers are a classic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    On brogues is weird.

So are Zoot suits, velvet dress slippers and wearing white tie around town in the evening. Tassle loafers scream "I'm a regular at Stringfellows" to me, they have that sense of expensive tackyness about them.

ReputationRep:
    On brogues is weird.

Yup, I love the suede moccasins/loafers. I'm currently eyeing up a pair of blue suede Geiger Florios... I have a fair list of things to buy though, they're probably about 8th..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Yup, I love the suede moccasins/loafers. I'm currently eyeing up a pair of blue suede Geiger Florios... I have a fair list of things to buy though, they're probably about 8th..
    Nice. Same problem, too many other things I need first. Might get some dark brown suede brogues though.

ReputationRep:
    Now for the big one: what sort of knot in your tie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    Tie? Clip-on obviously.

Tying a tie takes between 10 and 30 sec. That time can be utilised much more efficiently through activities such: as polishing your gold-plated HP15C, arranging business-cards you've gleaned from various C-level execs in the alphabetical order, or working on your "blue steel" pose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    Tie? Clip-on obviously.

Tying a tie takes between 10 and 30 sec. That time can be utilised much more efficiently through activities such: as polishing your gold-plated HP15C, arranging business-cards you've gleaned from various C-level execs in the alphabetical order, or working on your "blue steel" pose.
    I'm more of a HP12C type of guy.

One look at its brushed plastic exterior and you think: "Damn, this thing is pro".

ReputationRep:
    I'm more of a HP12C type of guy.

One look at its brushed plastic exterior and you think: "Damn, this thing is pro".
    It's just like a Graf von Faber-Castell pen - you'll never ever use it, instead you'll carry it like a badge of ballerness.

Business cards. GOGOGO

PS. American Psycho is obviously worth clicking through to youtube. embedding disabled pah

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the collar, the blade width, and the thickness of the lining. Of course.

But usually half-windsor.

ReputationRep:
    Half-windsor for smaller/older ties, Pratt for normal thickness ones, four-in-hand for heavy knitted ties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Half-windsor for smaller/older ties, Pratt for normal thickness ones, four-in-hand for heavy knitted ties.
    I agree with this. Though I generally wouldn't buy a heavy knitted tie so rarely find myself in the situation of needing to tie a four-in-hand.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything worse than people who get a heavy knitted, thick bladed tie, and proceed to tie a full windsor? (although I doubt it's actually any form of proper knot.) ******* estate agents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    I agree with this. Though I generally wouldn't buy a heavy knitted tie so rarely find myself in the situation of needing to tie a four-in-hand.
    I'm the other way, I like buying thicker ties because I like the asymmetry of a four-in-hand.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything worse than people who get a heavy knitted, thick bladed tie, and proceed to tie a full windsor? (although I doubt it's actually any form of proper knot.) ******* estate agents.
    More like 2nd division footballers.

ReputationRep:
    For those who work (or have interned etc) at banks, what type of bag (if any) do you bring into work?

Preferably, if there is one you could recommend that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that would be welcome...

ReputationRep:
    Ben Sherman leather.

Or, most likely they'll give you one on your first day.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anything about Austin Reed suits, have heard reasonably good things but wanted to check it out with people on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jobhunter01)
    Does anyone know anything about Austin Reed suits, have heard reasonably good things but wanted to check it out with people on here?
    I'd take some of the suggestions and advice you'll get here with a wheelbarrow full of salt, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jobhunter01)
    I bought a couple over the Christmas sale, if I remember correctly the deal was 2 suits for £300. They seem fair at sale prices but I think overpriced if bought at full whack. In my opinion, not too much difference between them and M&S really.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.