Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    An update for those who were following my interactions with Savile Row Fashion (Bangkok).

I had my fitting last week and was impressed with the experience and what was on offer. The fabrics were of a good quality and though there was plenty of salesmanship going on (presumably this is cultural) I was sufficiently happy with it all to order a suit and five shirts.

I went for quite a simple plain charcoal suit, Super 140s, no specific modifications, with a neat looking aquamarine lining. The shirts I've ordered are in a range of colours and styles.

The deal is that they produce the clothes in Bangkok and ship them over (one suit, one shirt) for you to try on and ask for adjustments. After this, the final versions of each are sent out to you. So, what you lose is the personal attention to detail and multiple fittings you might get if able to pay repeat visits to the tailor's; but what you gain (hopefully!) is custom suits and shirts at a very good price - comparable to off the rack.

Assuming it's not a scam (I don't anticipate problems, given that my friend has had suits and shirts from them before and has been very happy), I will have one new suit and five shirts made for me for a total price of just under £400.

I will report back regularly with my impressions of the service. I believe they make one or two trips to London each year for fittings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    An update for those who were following my interactions with Savile Row Fashion (Bangkok).

I had my fitting last week and was impressed with the experience and what was on offer. The fabrics were of a good quality and though there was plenty of salesmanship going on (presumably this is cultural) I was sufficiently happy with it all to order a suit and five shirts.

I went for quite a simple plain charcoal suit, Super 140s, no specific modifications, with a neat looking aquamarine lining. The shirts I've ordered are in a range of colours and styles.

The deal is that they produce the clothes in Bangkok and ship them over (one suit, one shirt) for you to try on and ask for adjustments. After this, the final versions of each are sent out to you. So, what you lose is the personal attention to detail and multiple fittings you might get if able to pay repeat visits to the tailor's; but what you gain (hopefully!) is custom suits and shirts at a very good price - comparable to off the rack.

Assuming it's not a scam (I don't anticipate problems, given that my friend has had suits and shirts from them before and has been very happy), I will have one new suit and five shirts made for me for a total price of just under £400.

I will report back regularly with my impressions of the service. I believe they make one or two trips to London each year for fittings.

Look forward to hearing more about this, but if I were you I'd reserve my judgement until the suit is actually there! My friend had a fairly underwhelming experience with a similar company, he was impressed with everything until the suit came and it fit like a bin liner, he was gutted to say the least. Hopefully this won't happen for you!

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget pictures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)

I had considered this, as I saw it advertised in FT and have spoken to people about it before.

I start my analyst level job with Accenture in July, so not enough time to get it all sorted I doubt. Still... if they can find a suit big enough for my mammoth frame, I'd be intrigued.

And in response to the initial post Loggins... I have a montblanc, should I not take it to work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    And in response to the initial post Loggins... I have a montblanc, should I not take it to work?
    Hah, well my comment about requiring seniority to carry a Mont Blanc/Cartier pen was tongue in cheek, so why the hell not!

Also, well done on the job mate, glad stuff's working out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Hah, well my comment about requiring seniority to carry a Mont Blanc/Cartier pen was tongue in cheek, so why the hell not!

Also, well done on the job mate, glad stuff's working out.
    Haha, thanks. Well I've not accepted it yet, but it seems like a fantastic opportunity, despite some of the horror stories I've heard about Accenture.

What is it you're up to, your first post sounded like quite a high flying position you've got yourself? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Haha, thanks. Well I've not accepted it yet, but it seems like a fantastic opportunity, despite some of the horror stories I've heard about Accenture.

What is it you're up to, your first post sounded like quite a high flying position you've got yourself? :awesome:
    Haha, just a standard IB entry level grad job.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, just a standard IB entry level grad job.
    Already streets ahead of me :sigh:

You can PM me details if you like :awesome:

Well done.

ReputationRep:
    ok, i'm going shopping soon. So savile row off the shelf (http://www.savilerowco.com/products/...pid-msuit24gry) or M&S?? And if M&S, which one, there are loads (http://www.marksandspencer.com/Suits-Mens/b/43483030)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    ok, i'm going shopping soon. So savile row off the shelf (http://www.savilerowco.com/products/...pid-msuit24gry) or M&S?? And if M&S, which one, there are loads (http://www.marksandspencer.com/Suits-Mens/b/43483030)
    Completely depends what you're doing on your internship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    Completely depends what you're doing on your internship.
    sales and trading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    sales and trading
    Again - sales is different to trading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenyblue_eyes)
    Again - sales is different to trading.
    Yeah but i'm rotating on both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    Then make sure you look reasonably decent. Provided the saville row co. looks decent on (which you won't know until it arrives obvs) then it could be okay.

It matters what you look like in sales, as long as you can make money it won't in trading. That said, you clearly won't be trading on an internship and if you're in a particularly conservative bank then traders could be more old school about appearance.

The amount you're paid for a 10 week internship means that you can afford to look decent.

Check this out for a bit of guidance http://wastedpotentialz.com/2009/04/...eet-tierarchy/ (is a little tongue in cheek but you get the point). Quote "people in capital markets and sales & trading tend to give less of a **** about this crap (it enhances their quant/market cred to brag about buying their ill-fitting attire on sale at Jos. A. Bank", sales being closest IBD in terms of dress.

ReputationRep:
    anyone have any experience of this lot:

http://www.suitsupply.co.uk/

they claim to offer while you wait alterations...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    Pinstripes are a no-no in S&T. Especially for an intern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    Nothing wrong with pinstripes as long as they are subtle.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous comment.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous comment.
    Ridiculously correct. One of the interns in our class turned up in a pinstriped suit, tie etc. His ED literally said "**** off back to IBD."

ReputationRep:
    Chalkstripes are a no-no in S&T. Especially for an intern.
    Corrected that for you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.